Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

knitting_vixen
Beginner September 2011

guest minefield- brother's girlfriend and aunt's boyfriend

knitting_vixen, 15 April, 2011 at 10:48 Posted on Planning 0 8

Well, now is the time I need some honest opinions.

We are having a small reg office do followed by a larger wedding breakfast.

We to the reg office we are inviting family (including aunts, but no cousins) and close friends only. To the wedding breakfast we are inviting everyone- cousins, 2nd cousins, uni friends etc.

About 3 weeks ago my brother announced he had a new girlfriend. He had recently been in a 5 year relationship (they broke up last year) and has since been dating, and had apparently been with this new girlfriend for 3 months.

My aunt is divorced and has since had a couple of boyfriends. I met her latest one at Christmas- I say met, he didn’t talk to me or anything (and I don’t think we were introduced).

We drew up a list of people we would be inviting to the reg office last year (before I knew my aunt had a boyfriend and before my brother was in this new relationship). My h2b and I decided that we would invite bro’s girlfriend and aunt’s boyfriend to wedding breakfast/reception but not to the reg office. There are no seats left (I have cousins and friends that I would love to come) and we hadn’t factored them into our numbers.

We have written out the invites and I told my brother and mum I was doing this. Their reaction had made me worried that we are doing the wrong thing. My brother looked surprised and said, “Oh well, I am sure she won’t be offended.” My mum (I told her by email as I was emailing her about other wedding stuff) didn’t really mention it, but I could tell by the fact she didn’t say, “oh, it’ll be fine” obviously thinks it’s not the right thing.

I have spare invitations and could re-write them to include said partners, if I invite 2 more people they will fit into the reg office, but it will mean we will have a couple of people standing. I am now thinking I invite them (my aunt has not been sent her invite yet nor does she know I was planning invite her boyfriend to the ceremony).

What do you think I should do? Honest opinions please (I won't flounce, I want impartial advice).

I am starting to think that I should invite them, I feel guilty. If I invite them, I can just forget about it and stop worrying! I don’t like offending people.

8 replies

Latest activity by Saisi, 15 April, 2011 at 15:51
  • *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

If it's just to the ceremony, and inviting them won't mean that you have to not invite other friends/family, then I probably would invite them. Especially since they're invited to the meal afterwards

The problem would be that they'll be loitering (assuming they travel up together) until the ceremony is over. You don't have to have them in the family photos

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Do you feel close enough to your brother and aunt to ask them what they think? If so, why not say (to your brother) 'We can invite X if you want us to but it leaves us really tight in terms of numbers. Are you happy to stand?' - same with your Aunt but suggest her fella should stand. If that makes them feel awkward then they may suggest just bringing them along afterwards.

Good luck!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Some registrar offices will not allow standing people as they set the numbers based on fire safety..... you need to ask. I know someone who had to ask two people to leave the room before the registrar would proceed and marry them.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

If you're leaving out family member s and close friends from the register office, then I wouldn't feel obliged at all to invite these very new people. If you had wanted people to stand you would have invited people you actually wanted to be there, I would imagine.

The ceremony itself will only be for a short time, at which point they'll then get to join in with the rest of the day's festivities - I know it's the most important bit, but if they don't really know your or your OH then they won't really feel like they belong there anyway maybe.

If I had got a new partner and knew the numbers were tight, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wasn't invited to someone's wedding ceremony.

Good luck with it though, family matters are the worst thing about this whole wonderful process

xxx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

"Six months minimum when we sent invites out" was our cut-off date for partners we didn't know of distant people. Less than six months, evening only if there's space.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be prefectly ok not to invite them to the ceremony. I'd probably either write them a note or most likely phone to say " we'd like to be able to invite everyone, but space dictates that we can't and we really look forward to seeing x in the evening when we can celebrate together"

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

Could you wait a bit on sending their invites out in the hope that a couple of people can't come?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Personally... and I appreciate this is probably quite an old-fashioned view... I would not invite the brother's girlfriend but I would invite the aunt's boyfriend. Reasoning being that your brother's girlfriend is still pretty new, and he did say himself that she wouldn't be offended. However (and this is the old-fashioned part) I wouldn't ask people in the generation above me to come alone. For me, it's quite a different matter going alone when you're in your 20s to going alone in your 40s or 50s.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics