Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Curious May 2025 Central & Glasgow

Guest transportation

Sarah, 7 of May of 2023 at 01:56 Posted on Planning 0 11
When it comes to transport for your guests who should pay? We are having our ceremony and reception in the same place but, do we provide transportation for day and evening guests or not?

11 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 11 of May of 2023 at 19:47
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Not your responsibility, I have always got myself to and fro m a wedding, is 100% for the guest yoaort their own transport. Out weed Ng was 90 mins away for r ceremony then an hour back to reception and we didn't put on transport and nobody asked if we would
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

No not your responsibility. People should make their own arrangements.
    My ceremony is in a church and my reception at a wedding venue, so we have organised taxis for the bridesmaids and parents to get them from the Church to the reception. Everyone else makes their own plans. I have given them local taxi details but I'm not paying for transportation for 60 plus people.

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    You do not have to at all, BUT my friend charged everyone who wanted the bus £5pp for there and back and Im actually thinking of this idea for ours aswell. I feel the need to put it on personally because our venue is 1 hour and a bit away from my friends and family, but we are not putting on a bus for evening guests to arrive but they are more than welcome to take the bus home. I’ve only ever been to one wedding where they didn’t provide transport but we would always make effort anyway.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our venue is quite a bit away from home too so that’s why we are in two minds about putting transport on. I like the idea of a little fee if people would be interested. How do you ask politely?
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello, her parents were the main name on the invitation so they added a little printed card in which said something along the lines of, if you need some transport we will need £5pp to secure your seat. Please send £5 along with your RSVP or send to the bank details below with your name.
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    Our day & evening thing is all in one place and quite a way away from where our friends and family live (90-120mins). We’ve not done transport to and from the venue, but as the venue only has 10 rooms on site, we’ve paid for a minibus to the local travelodge at the end of the evening do.
    We’ve only done this, as we’re getting married on Anglesey, where Uber doesn’t exist, all taxis have to be pre-booked, and there’s only a limited number of taxi companies, so it was easier for us to put on a group minibus.

Generally I’ve balanced things on a stress vs money scale, if it’s either gonna cost me way tooooo much money or way toooooo much stress I’ve not done it. The minibus caused us less stress than having loads of people ask us about taxi options, and it worked out okay money wise, so we did it.
  • C
    Savvy July 2023 Somerset
    Clare ·
    • Hide content

Not sure why you would need to transport anyone?! Where would they be going if everything is in the same place?!! LOL!! We are having our church service in a busy city centre and then its 1.8 miles to the reception up a very big hill LOL so we are playing with options for parking (very rare in Bath!) got quoted over £1000 for one double decker bus to do 2 shuttle runs (will be around 100 guests) which was RIDICULOUS given how short the journey is!! So we might not offer anything at all but happy to pay for parking if we are able to get it for everyone. Theres a few other options like taxis, minibuses etc - I don't think there's any obligation, just for us living in Bath I have often driven around for a good 20 minutes looking for parking and we have a central zone permit LOL - this will be graduation 2 weeks, middle of summer, absolutely heaving, so just want to make sure guests don't miss the service LOL!! And we will have complicated 'guest info' cards too haha!! but if all your wedding things are in the same place that's super super easy!! Enjoy!! xxx

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah it’s all in the same place but it’s like just under and hour away from where all friends and family live. So that’s why we are so unsure because it’s not too far but still kinda far enough to wonder x
  • Katie
    Savvy September 2024 Middlesex
    Katie ·
    • Hide content

As it's all in one place, it is not necessary. I think it is nice to provide transport between the venues if they are different. Although if people drove to the ceremony, they would still need their car for the end of the night.

We have hired a hotel on exclusive use, so are planning to arrange a coach or 2 from where we live to the venue (45mins) on the day of the wedding and a return coach the day after, hoping this will encourage people to pay for a bedroom for the night. We can then put the room money behind the bar.

• C
    Savvy July 2023 Somerset
    Clare ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aaahhh gotcha sorry it was late, I see what you mean. I'd say absolutely no obligation to but on the other hand, if everyones paying petrol etc it might genuinely be cheaper for them to share a bus. How many guests do you have? I went to a wedding in London and they hired one of those red double deckers to get guests from B-C and we walked from registry office to the meal and bus was to reception with a little tour round Regents Park on the way! At least get some cost enquiries and think if you'd like to ask guests to contribute or not, if they know your situation and why you're asking, if you choose to, sure they'll be OK with it. Personally I'd probably still drive as a guest only as you can choose when you leave then, but it really depends on your guests. I think its really sweet you are even thinking about it xx

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

As long as there is parking at or reasonably close to your venue, I really don't think you need to worry about providing transport.

I've only been to one wedding which provided transport and that was from the ceremony to the reception. The nearest parking to the ceremony was a 20 minute walk away and it was in the middle of winter, so the couple provided a coach from the reception venue (which had ample parking) to the ceremony and back again. It certainly made attending the wedding a lot less stressful for the guests, but it certainly wasn't something anyone would expect the couple to provide.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics