Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner May 2017

Guestlist Dilemma

Beachbridexxx, 26 of February of 2017 at 17:10 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello fellow brides to be!

I am wondering what your thoughts are on my dilemma. Me and OH have always wanted to elope, just the 2 of us, neither of us has ever been into a traditional wedding. He finally proposed 4 months ago. Initially, we were planning to tie the knot on a beach in Greece but it got too complicated and pricey so have now decided to have a small civil ceremony in the UK registry office. Again, initially it was just us and our witnesses, but as the room seats 8 including us, we decided to 'fill the room' with the people absolutely closest to us - my Mum and 2 of my closest sisters (plus one of them's hubby and 2 kids).

Reasons for this being we have absolutely zero financial help with the wedding from either side, my OH is an only child and does not want his parents there; I on the other hand have a huge family and feel this would be unbalanced. Also, some of my family members have caused me more upset than good over the past couple of years and really just want a happy day where I feel comfortable to be myself. The sisters I am inviting have made a huge effort to stay in our lives, visit us several when we moved city, etc. The others sort of 'clique' together and I feel like a bit of an outsider to be honest.

I've since emailed all my sisters an invite to a pre-wedding celebration/Hen; one of them said she is not attending (which is out of character for her), made up an excuse. How do I explain my situation to them all as I'm afraid bringing it up will rub salt in the wound 'I wasn't able to invite you and here's why..' type of thing. I'm sort of wishing I didn't send the Hen email now. If things were different and we were having a medium sized wedding I'd happily have them at it. Any advice would be great xx

6 replies

Latest activity by Beachbridexxx, 27 of February of 2017 at 17:05
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

If it's out of character for her then maybe she has other things/problems going on in her life right now? I'm a great believer that you should have the wedding you want whether that's elope abroad with two friends and no family as we did or a small intimate wedding as you are now doing. Whatever size wedding you chose there will always be flack from someone because so and so wasn't invited. I can sort of understand that one sister being nvited and one not she might feel put out. Have you tried asking the sister you see whether it's due to not getting a wedding invite or whether something else is going on in her life maybe. Or you could ask the sister in question.

• B
    Beginner May 2017
    Beachbridexxx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Jayne, I have a few sisters and the others all said they'd come to the Hen. the sister who refused to go is a very sentimental type and I can imagine the no wedding invite would have hurt her. she is going to other parties around the same time so I know it is a very clear statement to me that she will not come to hen. I really don't want to bring it up or ask her if she's upset. I rather they asked me the reason I'm having suc a small wedding rather than being passive aggressive. they don't call me or visit me (not even text to see how I am). So it will never come up in conversation. maybe this just confirm I'm doing the right thing after all.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

Smaller weddings are always tricky as it leaves some people feeling left out, however even in large weddings you will never please everyone. There will always be someone who felt they should of been mentioned in the speeches for example.

I have had the 'should I of sent/done that' thoughts, but once that email has gone or that deposit paid you can't get it back. You have just done what you thought was a good idea at the time, and it seems to me that was your way of including them all in your celebrations.

I agree with the above that you could always try to talk to her, or maybe send another email to just her saying that big weddings are expensive but you would love it if she could make the hen do if she isn't busy on that day.

How many sisters have you got? Would it be a case that one will have to stand up if there are only 8 seats or could they squeeze another seat in?

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you have to justify yourself. We're having a small (ish) wedding and there are people we've ha to leave out or not invite all day. Everyone knows it's a small wedding so they either come or they don't.

If your sister's upset that's a shame. But you might be reading too much into it. Maybe the 'excuse' is true and you're just so worried about offending her you've taken it as her being offended. Until she actually says anything I'd just leave it.

• B
    Beginner May 2017
    Beachbridexxx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mizzi, have 9 sisters so to include them all, partners & kids it would get out of hand we really don't want a significant number of people at our wedding either. the registry office is strict on the registry office is v strict on numbers due to fire regs. we chose the smallest room as this is what we wanted, I just feel bad about picking and choosing people

• B
    Beginner May 2017
    Beachbridexxx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mizzi, have 9 sisters so to include them all, partners & kids it would get out of hand we really don't want a significant number of people at our wedding either. the registry office is strict on the registry office is v strict on numbers due to fire regs. we chose the smallest room as this is what we wanted, I just feel bad about picking and choosing people

• B
    Beginner May 2017
    Beachbridexxx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks your probably right. I think its the fact that we don't really call/text each other over the past couple years and only see each other at family gatherings, I haven't had a chance to explain the situation. The last I Said to them is that nobody invited at all, then I think they heard through the grapevine that a couple of people are invited .

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics