Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner March 2022 Gloucestershire

Guests dropping like flies, should i just cancel the wedding and elope?

Loveandhyacinths, 27 of September of 2021 at 11:48 Posted on Planning 0 7

I think the evidence strongly suggests very few people really care about going to our wedding. It turns out I could maybe do with getting out there and meeting some new people with more in common! I am starting to think I don't want to know who is going to let me down so maybe I should just cancel the wedding so I don't know who they are! And also so I don't cry on the day thinking so few people care about me?

I feel like just cancelling it all and eloping, we would not lose much money as we have only paid deposits. We could go to canada and get married on a mountain but we have no one to go with us to be witnesses, everyone has said 'no thank you' to the canada and mountain part, I suspect because I do not know many people with similar interests, but then 90% of them don't want to go to the 'proper' wedding either so it is no surprise really!

My friend got married a few months ago, everyone is constantly talking about how lovely her wedding was, it sounded lovely and intimate, close family only. Everyone was very interested in the planning, but my somewhat larger wedding, no one cared, there seemed to be a sense that no one wanted an invite. Blank looks, glossed over, shut down whenever it was brought up.

My closest friend was due to be my bridesmaid, I thought she would feel honoured to be given the opportunity considering my only other bridesmaids will be my sisters and I am a somewhat introverted person who doesn't have lots of close friends, and self employed so no work colleagues. Inititally she acted very excited although I should have suspected something was up when our discussion about bridesmaid dresses quickly turned to how she had another friend getting married a few months later (she's not a bridesmaid at that wedding), that she had bought a dress, that it was really expensive and she got it from a boutique, what did I think. Then said she would have a look on ebay to see if there was something for my wedding!? I offered to buy her a dress, I don't have a problem with that, she said she didn't really like any of my choices and she would rather sort it out herself, could she change the colour, the style (and ruin my wedding photo theme, but I agreed anyway because I didn't want to upset her). We are now a month out from the wedding and she has dropped out completley saying, whoops I accidentally double booked that date. Really, how does one manage that exactly? Turns out she has a tinder date coming for a sleepover. This friend was about 10% of my wedding guests.

My closest cousin said she would go then a few days ago we were discussing the wedding and she was talking about how amazing my aunts wedding was (years ago now) and her own massive church and country hotel wedding which apparantly she loved every minute of (which I went to), then she said she 'might not be able to get time off work on my wedding date,' despite it being months out at that point and then suggested maybe we should just elope and listed all the pros of doing so, eloping feels more 'special' apparantly despite the fact she didn't. She text me this morning saying she couldn't come.

The wedding will cost a lot of money because I wanted a particular type of venue and for it to look special and beautiful, we are spending £160 per person on food, paying for their accomodation, real champagne, an awesome historic location with a guided tour and fun live performers etc. No one wants to go, they would rather go to cheesy weddings at a much cheaper sort of hotel than at a historic stately home? Do they really think it would be so boring at our wedding versus a hotel bar and karaoke (which is really not my scene at all)? This basically describes the wedding my friend has bought an expensive dress for, why bother with an expensive dress for that? I don't get it, I really really don't get it, I'd love to get an invite to a wedding like mine! Lol, but then I guess I don't have much in common with my friend? We are not extroverts but we are sincere people. I'm never horrible to anyone, ever, I don't even like conflict. I guess I just don't really have anyone in my life who is on my wavelength (other than DH) and that is really coming home to me now. I feel very alone right now. I keep hearing that 'people will come,' no, no they won't, not based on the evidence, I've checked and most of them are fishing for excuses to bail on us and using this same expression to refer to the 'other people' they are sure will be going to assuage themselves of guilt.

Fiance has a couple of friends who I know would drop anything for him to go to his wedding, even a few work colleagues who are definitely going, looks like I don't have nearly as many people like that there for me. I am terrified I will spend the whole evening feeling like an extra at my own wedding, while he is having a great time with his friends and I just feel sad and unloved, which would get the marriage off to a very bad start. It should be about us. We don't have any couple friends in common either.

When I bring the wedding up my father usually suggests that I 'put it off another year or two,' (I've already put it off for 14 and we have a child together so why would I put it off again?) or 'just spend the money on a bigger house.' Sounds like he doesn't want to go either? He keeps calling it my 'pretty princess day.' I appreciate not everyone thinks weddings are a worthwhile use of money but the sense of reluctance at having to go to it is really upsetting. Don't they want to see me get married?

Keep in mind both my mother and father have not offered to spend a penny on my wedding and it has taken a long time to save for it. They are also divorced so I am the child of the failed first marriage. I was thrown out to live with my grandparents at 16 because my step father found me inconvenient. It is pretty clear that no one likes me all that much, except fiance of course. We are both the black sheep of our families. I was the geeky, sensitive academic child, the opposite of them.

Fiance's family are not going either. I am glad about that though as I don't want them there anyway (although they would probably go if fiance said he really wanted them there), not only do I have my own not very supportive family to deal with, I also have to deal with the fact that his family actively dislikes and rejects me too, but as I'm not related to them I don't have to accept it. One reason it has taken 14 years to get married is because fiance wanted their blessing and they refused to give it. Apparantly because I 'trapped' him by not aborting our child and because they wanted him to marry a doctor or a lawyer or a woman with higher status, which is funny because I outperformed him academically. I would argue he trapped me too by insisting I keep the baby!

The above is relevant because if we do elope I fear it will trigger some simmering resentment in me, eloping would suit me very well if not for our relationship history. He refused to have a proper wedding for years because his family didn't support it but suggested that we could elope 'in secret' which is why I was determined to have a real wedding because that made me feel cheap and like I was some sort of embarassment (it was mostly because he was scared of his parents disapproval), he has seen through his parents manipulative behaviour now and how much that has hurt me and our child and he is happy to pay towards the wedding because he knows it matters to have the public declaration and the legal foundations in place, but it won't be very public with no one there! Because of the past, eloping now feels like a victory for his family and a humiliation for me. In that 14 years my grandparents, the people that helped me most in life, the people that would have been there without any doubt to see my wedding, have died. I feel like there is a huge hole and I do have some resentment about that too, so I worry that if we elope that resentment will fester. My grandmother was the one person who 'got' me and loved me no matter what and like me she LOVED weddings, but she won't be there to see mine and no one else cares. If they had been there it wouldn't have mattered who else was or was not at my wedding, so long as they were there! I don't know what to do. I just feel so sad and depressed. The wedding is bringing everything out that I've bottled up for years.

All of my 'close' relatives on my fathers side have dropped out (except a cousin I haven't spoken to in years. Clearly I mean more to that cousin than to my closest aunts and uncles.) My paternal grandmother said weddings are a waste of money and that we shouldn't bother because marriage means nothing nowadays. Apparantly the fact we had children before marriage (by accident!) means that it would be silly to bother now and make a fuss of it. She has said she won't be going but 'sends her love'. I didn't want a 'secret' shotgun marriage! I wanted to save and do it properly so I feel a properly valued part of this relationship, that's why we didn't get married before the baby!

My mother has annoyed me because she pressed me into moving my wedding from my perfect date 6 months ago using various ploys about how it always rained on that date and how x and y wouldn't be able to go despite since letting me down anyway. In the end we had to move the venue to one we didn't love as much because there were no more dates available at our original choice. All this because she had a holiday booked to barbados and didn't want to upset my step dad (he booked it after I set my wedding date, he has also opted not to go to the wedding). She says she wants to go to my wedding but she seems much more interested in what my sister will being wearing as a bridesmaid (the children of my mother's second marriage, my sisters get everything paid for. Even cosmetic surgery!). She didn't even offer to pay for my wedding dress and she is very wealthy. I do not resent my sisters though, I love them. So there we go, my mother, for her own reasons, wants to go (so long as it is convenient) and I believe my sisters genuinely want to go and see me get married!

I have a few other maternal relatives who would go but their health isn't up to it which I completely respect but that hugely reduces my wedding party. I also have an uncle and that distant cousin who are going.

That means I have a wedding party of 6 people...10 tops, most of which don't really care that much about me. We have paid for 60 guests! We originally wanted 100 but we could only find 60 people who were 'maybe'. My fiance probably has 10 definites too, mostly friends although his wedding party would dwarf mine if his family were going which would make me want to uninvite myself. If I invite more peripheral people they will wonder why I have so few friends and family which will make me feel embarassed. I am quite shy and would rather not have complete strangers there, although if they are genuinely happy for me that would not be a bad thing, at least the photos will look good with more people on the seats?! Superficial, but that is where this is at now. Not sure eloping is better in that respect, just me, my partner and a some random stranger witnesses!

Is it just my wedding or does it also seem society turning against traditional weddings? It seems suddenly everybody hates them with puritanical fury and is using the pandemic etc as an excuse to not care and be mean and cynical. It's like they have some kind of sense-of-community burnout? If somebody invited me to a wedding I'd be there in a shot, I love weddings and seeing people in love! (So long as they didn't say no children tbf as the babysitting would be an issue!)

I suppose I could move the wedding venue to a 10 minute drive instead of an hour drive away somewhere I have no interest in getting married but that probably won't change the number of people who go.

7 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 27 of September of 2021 at 21:55
  • R
    Savvy May 2022
    RomanticBlueHair33815 ·
    • Hide content
    Well I didn't want to read and run. But not sure my advice would be great.

What I would sit down and do with Fiancé is a pros and cons list. Sit down and decide what is really important for the both of you. If it's just literally to be married, then I'd be inclined to the elopment idea. But honestly, I feel like you two are the only ones that could make that decision.
    Have you considered to drop your numbers? Make it more of an intimate thing?
    Just remember, it's your day and it's what both of you want. Don't feel bad about hurting anyone, you can explain it in such a way that doesn't hurt anyone.
    Good luck 🤞
  • K
    Curious August 2022 West Yorkshire
    Kim ·
    • Hide content
    Wow i would elope and do it how u want its quite obvious no one cares which is absolutely horrible i would stuff what everyone else thinks even though i think what u have planned sounds amazing even if they dont xx
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Wow, your story is hard to read, seems there is a lot of resentment and in all honesty, do you really want any of these people there? you absolutely should have the wedding you want and it is unfair for people to judge it against other weddings. Even if it is not their cup of tea they should be graceful enough to want to come to your wedding if they care about you. I also think that this is causing you too much stress and will taint your day in the long run, your wedding is solely about the 2 of you, don't do things to please others. If you can I would look to reduce numbers/ only have an evening reception if you feel you have enough true friends and family to attend. If not, then maybe cancel and see how much you can get back and just go and do it, just you and the 10 or so close people you mention, have a nice meal out and then use the money saved for a fantastic blow out honeymoon. I really am so sorry that you are experiencing this behavior, it really is not nice and I feel for you but you have to get tough and call people out or change things, as long as you and H2B are comfortable with the day you plan and any decision you make to change it that is all that matters. wishing you luck in sorting it out and have a fabulous wedding x

• H
    Beginner August 2022
    HappyRedFlowers2937 ·
    • Hide content
    I want to start by saying that I’m really sorry this is happening to you. It sounds like this is really affecting your feelings around the wedding. I agree that you need to speak to FH and decide together what you guys want from your day. I also believe that therapy might be very beneficial to you. People can be really really awful, I think having a safe space to work through the feelings of resentment so that whatever kind of wedding you decide to have, whether that’s an elopement or otherwise, you know you’ve made the decision based on what is best for you and is deep in your heart and not what other people have made you feel.
  • Nicole
    Curious September 2025 Berkshire
    Nicole ·
    • Hide content
    I think you should spend all that money on things you and your fiancé would love and just elope. It sounds like people aren’t being very supportive and that’s just horrible. This is such a big day for you and you don’t want to feel upset because people would rather go on a tinder date. I would even go as far as not talking to that person again. It is an honour to be asked to be a bridesmaid and i’m sorry but you wear what you are told to wear (within reason). Go on an extravagant honeymoon and try to enjoy yourself as this time is meant to be fun. Your plans sounded really fun as well and it’s a shame that people are being so pig headed as it would of been amazing but it’s their loss you will have a great time on your wedding and honeymoon all about you and your other half.
  • Jasmine
    Beginner September 2022 Essex
    Jasmine ·
    • Hide content

Sorry you’re going through this. Just remember it’s no ones day except yours and your partners. You do whatever you feel is the best for the both of you. Don’t try to make everyone happy by giving them what they want because then you suffer. If you think going away and doing it just the two of you will be the best thing for you, then go for it. Be happy and enjoy your day x

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You need to sit down with your fiance and work out what the two of you want. Never mind your families & what they will think & say or which family will feel they have 'won' if you pick an elopement or a big wedding - that shouldn't come into it. If you make decisions with an eye to what other people will think all the time, you are going to tie yourself up in knots. So just focus on you and your fiance and the commitment you are making to each other and what YOU want your day to look like, regardless. And remember that WHATEVER your wedding looks like, it will still be special because it's the day you make a lifetime commitment to your other half - our wedding looked nothing like we'd planned thanks to Covid, but it was STILL special because it was the day we got married! And your day will be equally special, regardless of what it ends up looking like.

I'd also encourage you to seek some counselling. It sounds like you are carrying a lot of bitterness, pain & hurt over past events and you don't want that to be weighing you down as you move into your future together. Find someone who can help you work through your feelings and put them to rest, so that you can move forward without being burdened by your past. Wishing you a joyful wedding day and a happy marriage xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics