Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Guests' expectations food and drink wise at evening do?

SJ&J, 15 February, 2013 at 11:46 Posted on Planning 0 9

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to mine re their evening do and may have any tips/suggestions/reassurance!?

We're on a very tight budget with only 20 or so close family for a sit down meal after the wedding as a result but then want to invite around 50 for a low key knees up in the evening. It is budgeting for the evening do that is worrying me in terms of evening guests' expectations re food and drink... as paying for a full buffet for 50 people isn't going to be possible within our budget. We are having a cheese wedding cake that serves about 100 and the venue have agreed it can be out in the evening. A buffet for 20 will already be catered for as part of our day package and I'm wondering if we can get away with that and just pay the venue to provide a load of bread and crackers to go with the cheese and put 'join us for a drink and nibbles' on the evening invite to pre warn guests it is not going to be a full on buffet..? I appreciate that if someone doesn't like cheese they are going to be a bit stuffed (or not as the case may be!) however..

I would also like to at least offer evening guests a glass of fizz on their arrival to be followed by a paying bar so am trying to work that into the equation as well. I have been to an evening wedding reception before where there was no food at all and just a paying bar but personally I hate the thought of guests arriving and not being offered as much as a few nibbles and a glass of something to thank them for coming at least..Has anyone been in a similar situation and found a way round this? Is a welcome drink and (decent) cheese and biscuits reasonable providing guests are given an indication that is the case or will it look as though we're being horrendously tight?! I realise we could forget about an evening do altogether but there are so many people we won't be able to invite to the day do that we would miss seeing if we did and our package includes use of the venue for the evening so it would be a shame not to make use of it....

9 replies

Latest activity by Pink Han-bag, 15 February, 2013 at 12:48
  • 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I think thats perfectly fine RE evening food. You have covered / warned everyone by putting drinks and NIBBLES! Smiley smile

Arrival drink - I've never had an arrival drink as an evening guest and wouldn't really think anything of your situation.

All sounds fine to me. I've never actually eaten the buffet at a wedding before even when I have been catered for!

I don't think you look tight at all, personally.

• C
    Beginner April 2015
    Cupcakebex ·
    • Hide content

My Dad always talks about one of the best weddings he went to was one where the food was a load of cheese and bread/crackers! It sounds great, I shouldn't worry Smiley smile

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I think it is totally acceptable, I didn't provide food for my evening guests, we had cup cakes and a sweet buffet. I have no idea why it has become the norm to keep feeding everyone. By the time they get there they should have all eaten tea/dinner so why would they even want to eat again.

I actually think the drinks and nibbles thing is a lovely idea.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Food - I think what you suggest is fine. Putting nibbles on the invite suggests that they will need a meal at home before heading out.

Drinks - I wouldnt bother about a welcome drink for evening guests, we didnt, I've never been to an evening reception where this has been the case, and I can assure you people wont expect it and will be just expecting a pay bar.

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I think i would save the money from the arrivak drink and put it towards a few extra nibbles for the evening guests, something non cheesy maybe even some crisps or some meats to go with the cheese and crackers.

iv never had an arrival drink as an evening guest before so would be expecting to buy own drinks all evening.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Personally I don't think it's enough food. I don't think I've ever been to an evening do where there was one glass of drink, so I'd save the money you'd spend on that and put it towards food.

If you do decide to go with your suggestion, then I'd make it clear to people what they're going to get. Whether you like it/believe in it or not, it IS the norm to feed people at an evening do, so that's what most people will expect. I wouldn't eat before I arrived and I'd end up having to leave early to get food. That's just me though, I'm a pig and I don't think about anything other than food!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Nothing wrong with "drinks and nibbles" (a nice way to phrase it on the invitation) but agree with the others that I never expect a welcome drink at an evening do. This would be a very obvious place to save pennies.

As for the "nibbles", I think the provision of cheese only might be a little limited. My Boy absolutely hates cheese - it makes him gag - so I have to speak up for all the cheesephobics out there! But more worrying, you'll exclude anyone who is bad with dairy as well, which is probably more frequent than out and out cheesephobia. Is there a way you could provide a meat platter as well (maybe with the money saved on drinks?), to give people more options?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree with the others that I would scrap the welcome drink and put a bit more food on.

You'll already have cheese, crackers and bread etc - as footlong says, a meat platter and maybe some crudités and dips?

• S
    Beginner
    SJ&J ·
    • Hide content

Wow, wasn't expecting such speedy responses, thanks very much to all of you for your time and input. REALLY helpful, especially your experiences as guests and how you felt about what you were or weren't offered (and the dad who liked the cheese option!) Clearly I'm worrying needlessly about an evening welcome drink as no one here would expect one and after all there is a bar there so I suppose people have access to buying as many as they want whereas obviously they are limited foodwise to what is provided.

I can see that getting rid of the drinks idea and using that money to pay for some cold meats etc to go with the cheese (hadn't thought about dairy allergies, good point) would be a much better use of limited resources. I'll definitely stick with the 'nibbles' wording - better that people find there may be a bit more than they were expecting than less! Thanks again!

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

If you already have an evening buffet for 20 being catered why don't you just increase the numbers for this. You'd never cater for all the guests so you could cater for maybe 50 and I'm sure with the cheese too there'd be plenty of food.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics