Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ellebob
Beginner February 2013

Guests inviting plus ones without asking!

ellebob, 1 December, 2012 at 21:45 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi everyone. Not sure quite sure to handle this situation. We haven't offered plus ones due to venue constrictions but have told some people when they ask the partners can come to the evening after the meal as we can fit more people in. We also have some guests invited to evening only.

Yesterday a colleague invited to evening only gave us an acceptance card which also accepted for her husband. I just thought it was quite sweet she had done this instead of RSVPing online as we asked and assumed her husband was also invited because she's a pensioner and is obviously following the rules that existed in her day! But I have just noticed when going through online RSVPs that one of my friends (also evening only) has put someone else's name down. I haven't ever heard of this person but making a big assumption based on her very English sounding name and the fact my friend is a strict Muslim who wouldn't date a non-Muslim, it doesn't look like she's even a partner, just some friend I've never met!

We don't have to pay any extra for evening numbers but there will be slightly less buffet to go round if more come. I don't really feel comfortable having a complete random there but I feel bad making a thing of it when almost the same thing yesterday didn't bother me. What would you do?

13 replies

Latest activity by Elodia, 2 December, 2012 at 14:54
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Honestly? For an evening guest I really wouldn't mind. I just don't think it's worth the conversation.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Erm... That's downright cheeky! Not to mention rude. I'd be honest and say that you assume there must have been a misunderstanding as the invites don't include plus ones and you wouldn't want your friend to feel silly on the day, or something.

Or, you could just be more blunt. One of my friends asked if she could bring a date. I just said no.

We were strict on numbers, so I guess it depends how much it bothers you. If it doesn't, don't worry.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be that bothered if it was just for the evening doo chances are you wont even notice this person anyway.

That aside the guest who invited a plus one without asking (or it being included in the invite) is bloody cheeky!!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't just assume it's not her partner. An English sounding name doesn't preclude someone from being muslim, and even if they aren't, how can you be 100% sure your friend wouldn't date someone non-muslim. I would ask them who they are, just 'out of curiosity.' I wouldn't mind if it's just evening, as it's not an extra cost, and you probably won't really see them anyways!

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I know he wouldn't date a non-Muslim because we've talked about it. Anyway just Facebook-stalked her and her page is covered by pics of her and her boyfriend! Now OH is worried this person we've never met is going to bring her boyfriend and we'll have a neverending chain of uninvited plus ones, haha.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

If it was the daytime I would be pissed off. Honestly by the time you get up the evening you won't care. I had s few evening guests bring plus ones that I hadn't met or had only met once. It diddnt phase me.

one thing our venue told us about the buffet was to remember no one goes in a night out without eating? So the evening guests will have eaten before they come. I always worry about there not being enough food but actually there was more than enough to go round, even with the extras!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

I think it is correct to say you wouldn't notice at the evening. However, it is not right; it is rude and presumptious. I would say no on principle. As you have discovered, this person isn't even their partner! Imagine if everyone did it, then there definitely wouldn't be enough food!

If it were me, I would say something - it is such a rude thing to do! Maybe just say something like you are restricted on numbers, and aren't giving plus ones. Also, if I have read and they are a work colleague, it may be they give other colleagues the idea that that it is an acceptable thing to do!

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I might ask who she is then see how he reacts before deciding what to say next. To me it just seems like such an odd thing to do so I was a bit thrown!

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    Elodia ·
    • Hide content

Very rude just inviting a random, I think just leave as most have said as its the evening. Totally a different kettle of fish if it was the wedding breakfast etc.

by the way how do you quote other people's comment, I can't seem to do this. Thanks,

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I would leave it just for this one and the lady you mentioned. Obviously if everyone started doing it then you would have a problem, but most receptions end up being overcatered anyway so not to worry too much.

I know the thought of a randomer there isn't always pleasant, but honestly by the evening you won't notice/care.

I had a friend who accepted to my hen do and asked could she bring the friend who was also going to be her plus one for the evening do, I said yes and was pleased I could at least meet this friend before the big day. Then she actually arrived with someone completely different to my hen (who didn't speak to any of us, racked up a massive bill and all my friends and I had to cover it, and bailed early dragging my mate with her). Then my friend contacted me to say she was bringing a different plus one pal for the wedding reception which I said was fine. Then on the night she actually brought her sister instead! I just made small talk and left them to it and didn't really care that much.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Click 'reply' on the post you want to quote, then it gives you the option. If you click quick reply or the big main reply button it won't give you the option.

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    Elodia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great thanks, why didn't I ask sooner......

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics