Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin8
Beginner June 2014

Guestzilla requests?

Erin8, 18 of March of 2014 at 14:22 Posted on Planning 0 95

Has anyone had any extreme guest requests? I haven't had any yet, l am sure someone will ask to stay at our house the night before even though we have a house full already. A friend of mine was asked by her Auntie to chase the seating plan about an hour before the wedding. She had the sense to refuse -Auntie didn't like her seat apparently?! When my best friend got married then people were fixated by asking her to organise them getting to the wedding.

95 replies

Latest activity by ClaireD*, 24 of April of 2014 at 19:09
  • bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the early stages of planning but my Gran has already asked if she can invite her friend from America that I don't know. I've told her he can come to the evening but we can't afford to have him there all day, now she's telling my dad that's she's going to pay for him to come. I don't even know this guy!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Luckily nothing too major but I did have my OH's cousins inviting their girlfriends (who we have never met) to the day... Fine, whatever, it costs us more money but you're family so ok.

Then the said cousins emailed last week saying that they can't come as they hadn't booked the day off work and have left it too late and aren't able to now.

We had just had our table plan printed, which will need to be re-done as well as now rushing to fill the now 4 empty spaces we've paid for.

Grrrrr.

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Not exactly, but OH's cousins RSVPed late to say they weren't coming because: "we are crap at organising ourselves and there's no point trying to"

O_o

• A
    Beginner February 2015
    auntiejo1 ·
    • Hide content

Ha, that's funny

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

All from parents of the groom:

Why aren't you getting married in a registry office? (I'm a member of a church)

Why are you getting married in the middle of nowhere? (It's where I grew up, and where I'd live if your son would leave the hole that's your home town. I didn't pluck it out the air specifically to inconvience the guests)

There aren't any hotels (no, so we've paid £350 to transport you door to door from your home)

My friend also asked my why I'd banned children, then went on to say that they had ruined her ceremony - but I'll never hear the end of her not being allowed to bring her daughter. I expect my other friend will kick off when she finds she's not got a +1. She's single, and always does this - then a place is booked for her +1 who then doesn't turn up. Not happening at my wedding!

• MrsOh
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsOh ·
    • Hide content

Its mostly H2B making requests like this, he sees it as our job to ensure the guests have as little to arrange as possible. Very nice of him, extremely stressful for us (read me) though.

Did get asked where the groom is hiring his suit from so that random guest could get the same - No! Go away!

Honestly cant wait for all this planning to come together.

xx

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

The only guestzilla I have is my sister but that is to be expected, as she single handedly ruined my first wedding and hen do!

She hasn't been too bad so far as I am keeping well away, but I have already had moanings about her not being a bridesmaid (after last time? Really?), I have deliberately organised my wedding for a Friday to inconvenience her (she doesn't even work), she might not even come because my nephew can't possibly miss a couple of hours of school, and apparently I never include my little nieces and I don't like children or want them at my wedding (even though I have invited them). Can't win!

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't had any yet apart from future MOH stressing about the hotel and rooms 16 months before the wedding. I know that the guestzilla's will appear once the invites have gone out. (I'm sending them out and then going on holiday for a week :-) )

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh wow!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I've not had anything major but have had a cousin tell me she's coming to the daytime and that her family also go everywhere with her and if they don't get invited she won't be attending...think she got a shock when her evening invitation arrived.

My Dads said he only wants to toast us and not give a toast cause he "wouldn't know what to say about me"

My brother & SIL we thought were going to back out the wedding last minute who are actually BM & best man, they've since said they're definitely coming but since they stay a bit away they're staying at out hotel now but we're paying...was the cheeky way they told us :/

Comments about why it's so small a wedding and not having a lot of guests, if we can't afford to pay for everyone's meals then why get married in that venue, that there's no need to get married "over the top" in the church and venue we want when we could go to a registry office and have a party.

These and the odd person been given a +1 and wanting to bring at least another one on top of that, have been the worst so nothing awful but annoying none the less.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

A couple demanding to bring their 18 month old child to the wedding as he would be upset other wise

I also had a friend strongly hinting her mum should also get an invite, and kept saying how much her mum would love to see me get married, and how she'd be so excited...

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    MayBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

Oh god! These stories are awful. I can't believe people have the cheek! I wasn't expecting anything like this but you've all got me worried now!

• Charb4990
    Beginner September 2015
    Charb4990 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting worried to however I'm quite a straight person when it comes to not so close family so if they make a fuss they're off the list x

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah Mr Erin started off like that. Hopefully l have seen the last of it. The best bit was Mr Erin suggesting we drive his niece and nephew from London to Southampton to be cared for by their paternal grandparents instead of going to the wedding party. So, we won't have anything else to do a day before our wedding party?!

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

I can't imagine that any of my family or friends will come up with anything to complain about, except maybe cousins whose children are not invited. Fingers crossed anyway!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

INORITE?

Beginner March 2015
    *CrazyCatLady* ·
    • Hide content

I suggested that we should ask my OHs parents if they had anyone they really wanted to be at our wedding (I felt it was the right thing to do as they have contributed some money towards the wedding) but was surprised to receive a list back of 12 names!!! At £120 per head, that's nearly £1500 extra on guests that I haven't even met, when my own friends and family don't even have +1s...

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Someone needs to publish a book of wedding nightmares

• LoveHimMegaMuch
    Beginner August 2014
    LoveHimMegaMuch ·
    • Hide content

My future FIL refusing to wear a kilt and pink cravat.....its your only son's wedding ffs! As soon as your wee involvement in the photos is done, go and change into jeans and a t-shirt for all I care! Grow up and embrace your metrosexuality!!! x

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm having the opposite problem, OH, ushers, FFIL, my own brother will all be in navy suits. My Dad is insisting he wears a kilt. Our surname is Scottish, it came from our Grandad and my Dad was totally estranged from him so why he wants to wear a kilt is beyond me.

The men aren't particularly formal, open shirts but with pocket squares to match the BM's because it will be hot. I'm trying to convince him that it'll likely be around 30 degrees on the day we get married. This kilt thing has been my biggest bridezilla moment. If we were getting married in England I don't think I'd be that bothered and part of me not wanting him to wear it is because I don't want him to be uncomfortable. He's halfway there and said he might just wear it for the drinks reception the night before.

Weird guest requests? From FMIL, if I can't arrange a hairdresser for her (the hairdresser for the venue is booked for me and 3 bridesmaids) could I pop over to her room on the morning of the wedding to do her hair, because I do it the way she likes. No.

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i wouldn't worry too much about you're dad being uncomfortable in a kilt. i'm scottish but my fiancé is english and originally when we first started dating he said he would never be caught dead in a kilt! after 7 years of dating I've converted him and he says they are far more comfortable than suits and much more practical for dancing in! must be all that fresh air down there haha!!!

• bbk8
    Beginner
    bbk8 ·
    • Hide content

So far had OH's aunt (who isn't invited -I've met once in 2 years and he isn't close to at all) tell his dad that she WILL be coming to our wedding because he's her nephew. We're only having 30 guests, very close family & friends. We might've considered inviting her if there was space but now we're definitely put off, we're both quite stubborn....

Also found out that his brother and brother's his girlfriend and son booked the same b&b as us - the one we're staying in on our wedding night! Might not be so bad if it wasn't a tiny country b&b with only 2 rooms!!! Thought that was a bit uncool ?

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

My brother was being a pain in the backside (see my thread) but he is now behaving nicely!

Other than that, I have had several requests for invitations for people who have already said they can't come!! They just really want an invite! H2B is designing the invitations himself and we are printing them and although that is cheaper than buying them ready made, it's still a huge chunk of our budget. Ah well, let's hope they appreciate all his hard work.

x

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

My dad is refusing to even consider getting a new suit as he 'already owns one'. I just wanted him to coordinate with the groom etc and the suit we want him to wear is just a simple suit but he doesnt know thst cos wont even let the conversation get that far. . We are already not having speeches as he didnt want to make one. He is not contributing any time or money or even shown an interest so I thought that a suit would be the least he would do. Wrong. I also have various family members not wanting to sit with other 'boring' family members,people suprised that their adult children arent invited, one bm giving me list of things that she doesnt want to do for hen do and one couple tell us they are sorry they cant come...before the invites went out.

• leecindy
    Beginner November 2014
    leecindy ·
    • Hide content

I a worried now.

• sarah1976
    Savvy September 2016
    sarah1976 ·
    • Hide content

I have people already assuming they'll be getting an invite and that their brood of kids will be also.

Both me and my h2b have big families and are only wanting our nephews and nieces to be there as there are quite a few of them.

I can only have 60 people for the day time and we don't want to leave someone we want to be there out, just so someone else can bring their kid.

This will upset quite a few folks I know, but if they can't hack the fact that they're going to have to leave their kid with nannan for the day, then I'll take them off the list and invite someone else.

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

When we started planning 8 months ago, my paternal grandad said he wouldnt be coming. My dad rang me the other week complaining that my grandad hadn't recieved an invite. I said, i thought he wasnt coming, he's not but he wants one as a keep sake!!! At £5 a pop, i dont think so!!

OH aunt separated from his uncle 7 years ago, she wont be coming to the wedding because he'll be there. Its been 7 years!!!!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Not so much guestzilla demands, but guests touting for business!

I have a friend whose new partner is a photographer/film maker, who I've met once. She is invited as a plus one. She dropped heavy hints about photographing the wedding but I really dislike her pictures and so politely replied "thank you for the offer, we have a TOG, plus we don't want our guests at the wedding to be 'working', we want everyone to enjoy themselves."

She is now trying to break in to doing Marry-oke's. She wanted to do one at our wedding to build up her portfolio. Despite the fact we weren't very keen on the idea she kept on about it, saying she'd do it for us half price (this is all through facebook.) We had a fleeting moment where we were considering if it might actually be a bit of fun and asked more about it, she then said "If you pay me by the end of this month, i'll give you a 50% discount, so it'll be £300" ... I then saw on her website that she was offering ALL bookings taken that month at a 50% discount!

She's a guest at our wedding! It's costing us money to have her there! She wanted to use us as guinea pigs for her portfolio! We don't even want a Marry-oke!

How do you un-invite someone to a wedding when they've already booked their flights!? ?

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is my OH. He thinks we should be organising hotels and taxi's for all our guests. Even if I did think we should it would be me doing it rather than him anyway and I have waaaaay too much other stuff to organise!

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Weird guest requests? From FMIL, if I can't arrange a hairdresser for her (the hairdresser for the venue is booked for me and 3 bridesmaids) could I pop over to her room on the morning of the wedding to do her hair, because I do it the way she likes. No.

Im loving this one. wow?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep. The worrying thing is this is the kind of thing my MIL would say!

• H
    Beginner May 2015
    Hotchilli999 ·
    • Hide content

So far I've had my dad give me an ultimatum of if she's invited (my Aunt on my mum's side - mum passed away 2011 and they're the only connection we have left other than me & sis obvs)) then I'm not coming - so obviously I'm not inviting her then dad thanks!

And we're also not having children - despite telling all friends with children this, my dad's wife keeps mentioning how her little grandaughter would look lovely in this dress *shows pic* at the wedding - how many times do I need to tell you woman NO CHILDREN NO EXCEPTIONS, I don't really like her daughters that much as they've been quite rude to me & my sister regarding mum, but I'm inviting them as I have to, as my dad has rose tinted glasses on etc so he doesn't see it and will be really annoyed if we don't invite them, I'm hoping they'll say no anyway ha!!

Invites won't be going out until January - so god knows how much more 'whinging' I'll get then!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics