Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner June 2016

Guilt over not inviting cousins I haven't seen in years...

abi3009, 11 of August of 2015 at 11:49 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi there...

my fiancé and I have only recently got engaged, but are looking at getting married June next year...

I've already upset my mum as we don't want to get married in the village church where I grew up (I'd always imagined getting married there, but my fiancé and I live about 40 minutes away and love the area where we live. This is now our family home and is where we want to get married).

My parents put aside £5000 to go towards a wedding, we are going to try and limit our budget to this money only, so are planning a very small intimate wedding. The church we have found is tiny and only seats 40 people at a push...

In order to get our numbers down to 40 (our first guest list draft was 85 including 10 children) we have had to limit family to immediate family only (this is still 25 people, including 5 children who will all be in our bridal party) leaving space for 15 more only.

This means we can't invite extended family, we're not in touch with my dad's side and my fiancé isn't too bothered about inviting his cousins and aunts and uncles as he rarely sees them anyway...

However, my mum's sister has 4 adult children, 3 of whom are married and there are 4 children between them...that's 13 people including my aunt and uncle. I have two sisters and we were all invited to the 3 weddings, but the first two were both over 10 years ago and we none of us had partners and we haven't seen them nor been in touch (no Christmas cards or anything) since the last cousins wedding 3 years ago..

Therefore, I'm really not that fussed on not inviting them, but my mum isn't best pleased an apparently her sister has been planning booking a holiday home for them all to stay in for our wedding, assuming that they'll all be invited!

Personally I don't think you should ever assume that you'll be invited to a wedding and I also don't think they should assume that they're invited when I haven't seen any of them or been in touch for years! I have said that we can probably squeeze my aunt and uncle in, but that will be it, and my fiancé isn't inviting any extended family at all..

We had played out lots of options, but this small intimate wedding is the first one where we've both got quite excited (my fiancé would have eloped to Gretna Green just me him and my son, but I wanted a church wedding and a party). We have had to bump lots of friends from the list, but again, they are all people I haven't seen in over a year anyway, so I'm not too worried about that..

I feel a little guilty as it's my parents money which is paying for the wedding, but at the same time I think we should be able to have the wedding we want. I honestly don't think my cousins will be all that bothered about not coming. My mum keeps saying she tries to get them all together but it never happens and a wedding/funeral/christening is the only time when they would all come together. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that's my fault and as our ceremony venue only seats 40 I dont' think we should have to have them over friends who we see regularly and couldn't imagine getting married without!

Just really wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and how you got around it..I have suggested we have a family BBQ in the summer but mum doesn't think they'll all come because it's not a wedding!

I'm going to have another chat with my fiancé over the weekend as it's just a thought at the moment, but to be honest I think it's the best idea we've had, so would really like to stick to our guns!!

14 replies

Latest activity by pink & glitz, 12 of August of 2015 at 20:48
  • K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

We had a similar situation regarding cousins and we ended up inviting uncles and aunties only. Like you, I haven't seen my cousins for many years and although our wedding wasn't as intimate as yours, we still had to keep the numbers down.

What was different for us though is that we paid for the whole wedding ourselves so we kind of felt that we could call the shots - I may have felt differently if my parents had contributed a large sum.

Are you having an evening reception? If so, why not invite cousins and friends to that?

Good luck deciding x

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain. I have a massive extended family and while we don't have to be too tight with numbers I'd rather invite friends we see often than extendends we see once in a blue moon.

My parents are the same with money input and guest list influence. If it was me I'd invite the aunt and uncle (we are doing immediate family, grandparents, aunties/uncles then everyone else is on the B List!) and maybe the rest of her brood at night if that's possible?

If anyone kicks up a stink just explain it's a numbers game - church only seats 40 and you have to be really strict. If anyone gets mad then that's sad but it's their problem. Stick to your guns.

Also - congrats on your engagement! Hopefully this will be the worst of the crazy wedding drama and it all gets better from here!!

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This says it all really - if they wouldn't make the effort to see you at a 'normal' family gathering, why would you invite them to your wedding?!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Was just about to say the same as you jade.

i see no reason to invite cousins or cousins children unless you're close. I also don't see why parents (and I can say his because I am one!) think they should insist everyone but the damn coal man comes to their kids weddings.

i paid my son an amount to his wedding and said buy something, put it to the wedding or put it towards your honeymoon. I didn't expect that meant I had any say in the wedding plans or that it should buy me a certain number of tickets to the wedding to invite who I wanted. The money was a gift.

This is the venue you want. It seats 40. Those 40 people should be your choice and if there is room for more at the evening do and there is space to invite the cousins then then that's your decision too.

You didn't get a say in your parents wedding!

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

Parents chipping in towards your wedding should not make you feel that you have to invite who they want. I'm sure they will be understanding when they realise how much you've reduced your list already. The family bbq is a great idea, failing that could they come to the evening do?

Stick to your guns. I've had to do it for my wedding and so far it's without a guilty conscience.... maybe I'm just a meanie Smiley tongue

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Your wedding is not a family get-together, it's your wedding, you and your H2B get to choose who to invite. If the money that your parents have set aside for you is a gift, it shouldn't be used as a bargaining tool for them to get what they want. You need to find out if it's a gift or if it comes with conditions. If it has conditions, I would suggest turning all or some of it down so you can freely invite who you want.

My H2B has an auntie who has a partner and three kids, one of whom is also married. I haven't met any of these six people in the five years we've been together, whereas H2B has met all of my family, and I mean all of them (there are about 40!). I am inviting 10 people from my extended family, the ones we see frequently and enjoy spending time with. H2B is being obliged to invite his extended family because FFIL wants to improve relations with his sister. I am really cross about this, our wedding is not an opportunity for FFIL to have a family catch up, but H2B says he 'doesn't mind inviting them'.

I think your family BBQ is a great idea. Reinforce the point that the ceremony venue only holds 40 people whenever this comes up. Invite your friends, they are the people you have CHOSEN to spend time with, not the people you feel obliged to spend time with because you happen to be related to them...

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think the fact that your parents are paying really complicates this. Traditionally, they would pay and be the hosts. They would be in control of the guest list... it's easy to see why your mum is getting upset.

My advice is to change the venue to a larger church so you can accommodate all the family. OR decline the offer of financial assistance and choose the guest list yourself. That way, you would be hosting the event, not your parents.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

This is a recurring theme and as always you have to decide if you want to have the day you want or the day other people want you to have.

we got married last month and between us we have 130 first cousins. We invited 14 and 11 came. We didn't invite all our aunts and uncles either.

the approach we took to our guest list we took was to invite those we have an active relationship with, whether related or not, and we took the same approach with children. We didn't worry about offending people we never see or speak to - why would we? We didn't get caught up in the ' if we invite them we have to invite....'.

maybe because we're older and we're paying for nearly everything ourselves it was easier. We're really pleased we did it this way. We celebrated our marriage with people who are important to us. We look at photos and smile because they are of special people not random relatives we never speak to. We had the most awesome day and we keep seeing people who tell us what a great time they had and share stories of bits we missed on the day. We wouldn't give that up for anything not even £5k.

don't look back on your day with regrets.

good luck.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Paula.

You need to have a conversation with your parents about how they expected you to spend the money. Essentially, they are paying for the wedding, and they would typically have a say.

I'd feel differently if you were paying for the wedding.

• B
    Beginner November 2016
    Boxleby ·
    • Hide content

I completely understand where you're coming from but if your parents are contributing such a large sum then personally I'd feel too guilty not to let them have what they want.

My in laws are contributing 4000 to our wedding and they keep coming and asking very apologetically can they add someone to the list that they'd forgotten. No problem since we're not anywhere near finalising numbers and I knew their initial list of 1 extra person on top of family was not correct! The other day FFIL expressed that he would love his 3 best friends there but with wives that includes 6 and he wouldn't put that on me but as far as I'm concerned there 4000 entitles them to invite whoever the hell they want (within a logical person's reason) and maybe I'm wrong but your mothers close family are within reason.

I know you say you want to keep it within 5000 but can't you contribute a tiny bit of your own money to accommodate the 13 guests you would have missed out on having if you invited your mums family?

Your mum probably feels embarrassed that her family were so hospitable when it came to their three weddings with all of you and now she comes across as cheap and uninviting. It's the harsh truth but if you really want your own wedding you have to pay for it yourself.

• A
    Beginner June 2016
    abi3009 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

thank you all for your comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the same problem!

I think we've decided to go for a bigger church, but still keep the numbers to no more than 50 adults. We'll invite my cousins, but not their children as a compromise. Im not entirely sure that they'll all come anyway, so that will give me some extra space for friends on the "B" list...

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

My parents are contributing, and that gives them a say on the guest list. It means OH and I are having a much bigger wedding than we wanted but if my parents didn't help we wouldn't have been able to get the venue we wanted. I see it as compromise- as long as there's space for everyone OH and I want to invite I try not to get too irritated that there will be some more distant relatives at the wedding that I don't know.

My mum is also fond of saying 'but everyone loves a wedding'- yes because that's why I'm doing this mum to throw a party for people I don't know... But then I get over it and think I'm marrying the love of my life so it doesn't matter ha.

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar situation, I have 10 cousins but see some of them about once per year and some once every few years. I am the oldest and some are very much younger than me, and I'm really not close to any of them. Our venue is maximum of 60 and we wanted to be able to invite all of our closest friends, so we decided to invite aunts/uncles only.

I feel a bit guilty now as a few people can't make it so we are about 15 under the maximum, and given that it's unlikely all cousins would have attended, even with partners coming we probably could have invited them all... Oh well! I'm sure I'll see them at some family gathering sooner or later Smiley smile

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

My mum contributed a significant amount of money and wanted certain family members there, some of whom I have never seen since I have been little. I had to go with it but then mine was only for the evening reception as we got married abroad with our closest family.

I understand where you are coming from as its an all day event, could you have an evening reception the week after? Would that solve the issues with your mum?

X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics