Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

panda2011
Beginner September 2011

Gutted :(

panda2011, 11 June, 2011 at 16:42 Posted on Planning 0 12

After much debate, OH & I have decided that we really can't afford to book a Honeymoon for our September wedding ☹️ There is a very real possibility that he is going to be told 9 days before our big day that he is being made redundant by the RAF & ok, if it happens he will have 12 months notice before he is out which I know that is better than most civvies get when made redundant but we can't justify blowing a large sum of money that we might not have on a Honeymoon ☹️ Looks like we are also going to have to scale down a lot of our wedding plans to hang on to some cash too which really sucks as it's going to have quite a big impact on our day & not for the better! OH vaguely muttered something about booking a honeymoon 6 months after our wedding but to me that doesn't feel the same as having a proper honeymoon & more than likely won't happen anyway, especially if OH's name is on the redundancy list ☹️

Sorry bit of a self indulgant whinge of a post & I know there are loads of people out there in a worse boat than us at the moment but I am so gutted it's unreal ☹️

12 replies

Latest activity by 1234ABC, 11 June, 2011 at 20:23
  • F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Im sorry to hear about your oh possible redundancy, but could you not go on a mini moon?

My and my H2B cannot afford to go on a big honey moon abroad so we are going on a 2 day mini moon to either london or edinburgh. It will still be my honey moon to me and no body say's it has to be abroad or for 2 weeks?

Also im sure your wedding will be lovely and you will not miss the things you have had to scale down on, just try to focus on what is most important on the day (and its only 1 day!) x

• CardiffInvitations
    CardiffInvitations ·
    • Hide content

Ah hugs x

I know it is not what you wanted but could you afford to just go away for a quiet romantic break/weekend somewhere in the UK, afterall we were so exhausted after the wedding that all we wanted to do was spend time together and chill out for the week after the wedding.

Not that it helps now I suspect but just remember that financial pressure can be a real strain on a marriage so taking the sensible decision now will help you in the long term

Although I agree it is rubbish x

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies ladies, I wasn't actually expecting any response to a moaning post like that! OH's attitude is that if we can't afford to go on what he describes as 'a holiday of a lifetime' then he would rather not bother. He has lived in so many different places around the UK & France through his work that unless we go somewhere exotic he doesn't think there is much point which is something I can understand. I just feel really flat & deflated about the whole thing & am trying to hide from OH how upset I am about it as I don't want to put more pressure on OH when he's got enough to worry about ☹️

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Aww Panda thats rubbish,we are not going on a big honeymoon either,a wee weekend in a five star hotel about 3 hours on the train away is what we are doing,we are leaving the day after the wedding,all three kids and the dog are being cared for and we will have some time to relax. It may not be a massive thing but you know i am so looking forward to it.

I actually managed to get a really cheap deal as well,do you think the wee man can stay somewhere so you can have something similar?

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

SKybright, that sounds lovely & is something I would consider but OH is really stubborn & 'isn't interested on just staying in the UK.' At the moment it looks like we'll be spending the time when we are meant to be on Honeymoon decorating our house to get it ready to be sold as we won't be able to keep this place if OH is out of work. Decorating basically means OH will be grumpy & I'll barely see him for 2 weeks as I tend to keep out of his way when he's doing DIY - he gets like a bear with a sore head! Not the romantic break we'd been planning at all. I'm fed up!!!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Aww, sorry to hear this mate. Of course you are disappointed, you are allowed to be. Can you go on an inexpensive honeymoon rather than none at all?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

You can arrange an inexpensive week in Greece, Spain or Turkey? Greece is amazing (Kefalonia esp)

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Could you organise a weekend away behind his back and give it to him as a wedding gift?.He will be very unlikely to say no if you do it as a lovely gesture.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Oh love, I'm really sorry for you and your H2B. There is a chance that he may not be made redundant though so I would say not to think about it at the moment until you know. How much were you thinking of budgeting-in before you found out about a possible redundancy? Also, as for having to cut-back on the wedding plans, do you have family who can help out financially? My Mum has been fantastic.. me and OH have had real money problems lately and my Mum offered to help us out a bit. OH's Mum is also helping us out loads.

I hope everything works out fine for you both. There's always a solution to every problem so don't give up hope.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

We cant afford a honeymoon either, were going to manchester nov 25th for the weekend to watch dirty dancing a nice meal out etc - maybe u could do the same? sorry to hear about ur oh possible job loss- look on the bright side and oh's job will be safe and u can go away somewhere nice x

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

The fear of redundancy is horrible.

I work in the construction industry and have been made redundant once in the recession, and am now at risk again.

Carrying on as normal with wedding plans, but making sure we don't splurge on anything unnessecary to make it more copable if it happens.

I feel for you, but as the above have already said - your day will be wonderful no matter how much or little you spend. And you could do a wonderful honeymoon in the UK for not much money.

Fingers crossed redundancy doesn't happen for you

x

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear about your situation. I'm facing redundancy myself, in about 2 months time if something isn't sorted. My OH and I are set on a minimoon and are planning a bigger holiday for next summer if all works out with my job, but that's just an after thought. Have you tried Hotwire.com? the site has lots of hotels at discount prices in countries all over the world!

Just a thought. I hope everything works out for you!

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics