Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Childhood-Sweet<3
Beginner July 2014

Gypsophila Bouquets

Childhood-Sweet<3, 11 April, 2013 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0 3

I am thinking of having gypsophilia bouquets for me and my BMs. I have found somewhere online where I can order masses for a very good price, then put it together myself. Has anyone else done this and got any idea of how many stems you would use per bouquet? Baring in mind I am after smaller, posy types things! We were planning on using this and lavendar in the jars on the tables and the pew ends anyway, so this may work out to be very cost effective! I will go to a florist for button holes though!

3 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 11 April, 2013 at 14:48
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I once had a bride who put together her own bouquet, it worked out very well and cost effective, go for it!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

A bit of advice about gyp and that is to go for the best quality 'wedding' gyp as normal gyp used in gift wrap bouquets that you put in a vase at home often smells of cat pee so would have an adverse effect on the lovely smell of lavender Smiley winking

There are a number of other differences too in the normal and best quality in that the stems are stronger so better for hand-tied or wiring work, the colour is whiter (sometimes normal gyp can be quite green looking or dirty looking) the blossom is bigger too.

Regarding how many for a bouquet, depends really whether you are wiring the blossom or just tying stems together..? You'll get a more compact shape by wiring but it will take you longer to make so not sure if you'll have that much spare time the night before your wedding. Tying it will give you a less structured look which are very popular at the moment and not as time consuming.

For the lavender, you could buy small pots of lavender and slot them inside a larger pot together rather than buying lots of separate stems. This way, after the wedding, guests can take home a pot of it and plant it in their garden as a memento of your day which is nice!

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you that is all very helpful. Yes I think after reading that I may go to the florist wholesalers myself rather than do it online! I think I will just tie the stems together as that was the look I was going for really! That it a lovely idea about the lavendar too, I hadn't thought of that!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Yes, that way you can choose your own rather than rely on someone else choosing for you. You should be able to get your lavender in pots from the wholesaler too. If not, you can often get small pots of it at Morrisons in their gardening section or your local garden centre.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics