Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner November 2015

H2B has seen THE dress

Bridally, 6 of October of 2015 at 15:03 Posted on Planning 0 17

So we get married in 5 ½ weeks – the other day I was deleting my whatsapp media between me and my mum and didn’t realise a small pic – not fullscreen but grid – was there on me in my dress. I was showing him something else when he said

- What?? There’s a picture of a wedding dress there.

I stalled said what? And he asked again, so I just brushed it off and said oh that’s just one we sent to each other a while back. I should have thought on my feet and said it was one I originally tried on but didn’t buy. Urgh!! He just went hmmm and I don’t think he was convinced.

I am trying to pretend to myself it’s completely fine but - in reality he has definitely seen it was me. CRIES!! Please help me feel better haha.

17 replies

Latest activity by Bridally, 8 of October of 2015 at 11:05
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Lots of men see the dress nowadays. My oh came with me to buy the dress. Eloping so no one else knew. We are also spending the night before the wedding together. He will leave the hotel room when I get dressed so the next time he sees the dress it will be with hair and makeup done, jewellry on etc for a first look pic. He's also pretty much forgotten what the dress looks like other than the basic shape.

dont worry! When you're dressed you will look completely different to a try on pic that was small and he only got a quick look at.

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

Haha thank you for your reply. Yeah I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter. I just personally wanted to be traditional and wanted it to be a surprise. But like you say it was a very quick glance at a small picture and hair and make up not done!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ask him now what the dress looked like. I'm willing to bet he will say "long and white" (assuming it is long and some variation on white/ivory etc). That's all he will remember. Don't worry about it!

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

I’ve not even mentioned it to him at all – in the hope that by keeping my cool (something I’m not normally good at) will completely throw him off the scent. As I’m sure he’d expect me to be upset and want to talk about it.

You’re absolutely right – he’d probably just say long, ivory and wouldn’t really know much else.

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsMtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with what has been said. He would have no chance at picking it out again. Guys just see another long white dress.

Wait until he sees you in it with hair and make up done and on the day. It will be completely different and you'll look gorgeous.

Try not to worry

xx

• B
    Beginner October 2015
    BridgetJonesNoLonger ·
    • Hide content

Like everyone has said, it won't be the same as him seeing you on the first time on the day. People say there's not other feeling like it. I know you wouldn't have chosen for him to have seen you in your dress but I'm sure it will be fine. Like others have said some people take their groom with them ... I think that's a step too far away from tradition for me! My speech popped up on the laptop screen the other day, how that happened I don't know. OH didn't see too much of it Smiley smile

All the best

B xx

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, exactly this. My OH also saw my dress (model pic) on my phone. I did have a bit of a meltdown over it, but looking back I know he wouldn't remember anything apart from guessing that it's white.

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much ladies, you’re helping to keep me calm!! I know you’re exactly right and on the day it will be so different. When I ordered my veil from America it came with a sticker on the front saying ‘Your veil inside’ and I went into a big meltdown over that as I don’t think he’ll assume I’ll have one so I wanted that to be a surprise. He answered the door for the package.

Roll on 5 ½ weeks – this secrecy is hard when I tell him everything!!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

You will be amazed at how much they don't notice until it's all together and you're wearing it on the day. Then it blows them away.

• B
    Beginner October 2015
    BridgetJonesNoLonger ·
    • Hide content

Nice one Dad! You will blow him away, it'll be like he's never seen you in it. I don't know if you watch the bridal programmes (I'm obsessed) but some of the girls choose the dress with their OH!!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Also if you think about it, a wedding dress has a lot of detail etc to take in. You wouldn't take it in when you see it as a small pic for a few seconds when not expecting it so your brain takes a while to start to process. It was probably all just a mental blur to him. Mine came with me to buy it. He saw it for a long time. He couldn't describe it. He only remembers it's cream and fitted with at bit that drags on the floor at the back. Oh and it shows my cleavage. And that's getting a really good look.

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

@Stephny691 – oh bloody hell haha – typical dad thing. Ah thank you, that made me feel better to know someone else in the same boat! I think like all you lovely ladies have said, it will be fine!

@JaynE yes you’re absolutely right. It will have just looked like a mas of ‘cream’ or ‘white’ and he wouldn’t have really seen the detail!

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    Tooinvolvedgroom ·
    • Hide content

I'll out your mind at ease on this. My Wife (then fiancée) put all her pictures from her phone on my computer as she was low on memory, I was bored at work one afternoon so was noshing through the pictures haphazardly in thumbnail version, spotted a dress, glanced for a second in terror that if seen 'the dress' .... Immediately shut the folder and looked around sheepishly as if I'd been caught in the cookie jar (I was at work in the building on my own)

anyway, to cut a long story short, I couldn't even remember what the dress looked like 10 minutes later other than it was Ivory.

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    Tooinvolvedgroom ·
    • Hide content

Too many autocorrects there! But I wasn't noshing through the pictures, I was browsing Smiley smile

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

I really don't get why the groom isn't allowed to the see the dress. The superstition comes from not being able to see each other before the wedding, which is outdated now in most cultures anyway and has nothing to do with the dress. I understand if you would like it to be a surprise though. My computer and phone is full of pics of my wedding dress and I couldn't give a stuff if my OH seen it. A wedding dress is a huge deal for most women but for the groom it just isn't. As long as you look nice and you like it then that's what they want.

In fact my groom has even seen my dress in the shop window. I was shouting all over the street that's the dress I have been wanting to try on, I just know that's my dress.

You will look total different on the day in it with the accessorizes and hair and makeup, so I wouldn't stress.

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah this does definitely put my mind at ease!! Thanks so much Smiley laugh

@RachD90 - Yeah I supposed everyone is different. To me it's just really important that he doesn't see it, regardless of why it's a tradition! But I understand that some would be fine with it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics