Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2014

H2B not keen on having a wedding ring?

missk1989, 2 of November of 2013 at 12:09 Posted on Planning 0 35

My OH told me the other night that he isnt really bothered about having a wedding ring as he has never worn one but I should have one as " you like rings". To me a wedding ring isnt about the jewellery but is a symbol of your committment. A reminder to yourself and the rest of the world that you made vows to someone. I would be devastated if he didnt wear a wedding ring and told him this which he accepted and said he would do but it got me thinking.Would you be okay with your H2B not wearing his ring? I know some people cant wear them for work so it makes sense not to have them but if the only reason was that dont really wear rings would you mind?

35 replies

Latest activity by traleegirl, 5 of November of 2013 at 16:20
  • Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't mind a bit. He wouldn't make you do something you weren't comfortable doing or didn't like? He'll have a ring to exchange during the ceremony I assume. I think being devastated is a bit of an overreaction, tbh.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    becs1975 ·
    • Hide content

Gotta say, I'd be pretty gutted too. It's a symbol. You exchange the rings for a reason, it's part of the ceremony, so to not wear one after wouldn't feel ok to me. Plus, and I realise this might seem old fashioned etc, but it also shows everyone that he's taken. So yeah, I'd be pretty peeved too.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This....

except you don't even have to have a ring for the ceremony.

When you get the booklet your council will give you when you go to give notice you'll see that there are vows there for people who choose not to have a ring, whether it's one or both of you.

And if it's good enough for prince William!!!!....

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

My H2B doesn't want a wedding ring as he has said the feel of it on his finger would irritate him; I've explained that for the first couple of days I was wearing my ER it irritated me but now I've got used to it it feels odder when it's not there, he's not convinced though! I've compromised and said I would like him to have one for the day then we can see about it being incorporated into a different piece of jewellery, maybe on a manly bracelet!

• woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

My OH said he didn't want one, initially I tried to talk him into it but he didn't feel comfortable as he's never worn jewellery. We then talked about just having a token ring for the service but in the end we decided against that. I was worried that the vows would be weird but it was actually really nice as I accepted his ring of a toten of his love instead of giving him a ring. If its good enough for Prince William, it's good enough for us!

• woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

I just said the exact same thing then read your comment!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

My H does but wouldn't bother me in the slightest if he didn't. My dad never has nor my grandpa, so I was more surprised when my H wanted to as I wasn't used to it.

Ring, schring, that's not the thing that makes the marriage and him not wearing the ring doesn't mean a jot.

Only time you need to be worried is if he normally wears it, but then takes it off to go out alone ;o)

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great minds & all that!!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I don't wear one as I don't like rings or even a watch...I have though been married a long long time, so not wearing one makes no difference. The commitment is to each other and not a ring....

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

My brother doesn't wear a wedding ring, they exchanged rings when they got married and his has lived in a box ever since because he really doesn't like the feel of jewellery, he doesn't even wear a watch. My sister in law has never been bothered by it.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That summed up much more concisely what I was going to say.

We are not having wedding rings at all. My OH doesn't like rings (or jewellery in general) and i'm not overly fond of the idea either to be honest.

It wont make us (or you and your OH) any more, or any less married if he decides that he doesn't want one. As others have said, you guys make the marriage, not the ring ?

Have you stopped to think about what it actually is about him not wanting to wear one that bothers you? Do you feel that he needs a reminder of the vows you took- do you want other people to know he's married, do you want him to want to show that he's married? Breaking it down and working out what you're actually unhappy about might help you feel better about it perhaps?

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

My OH doesn't want to wear a ring. It's a relatively recent fashion anyway as this article explains:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12986535

And as everyone has said, if it's okay for Kate & William then it's okay for us too!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This part:

• In medieval Europe, Christian wedding ceremony involved putting the ring on the bride's index, middle and fourth fingers in turn, to represent the Holy Trinity

Is a bit odd because this is still quite common these days with Catholic weddings......

Peter

• Soon2bMrsCB
    Beginner July 2014
    Soon2bMrsCB ·
    • Hide content

My OH won't have a wedding ring, I bought him a ring when we got engaged (just a plain band) he doesn't wear jewellery as they irritate his skin, he sometimes wears it when we go out but mostly forgets! We will use it for the ceremony and photos so won't have to buy a new ring, more money for mine!! I don't mind at all that he won't be wearing a ring x

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

If my H2B decided not to wear a ring I wouldn't mind at all. My parents have been married almost 40 years and my dad has never worn a ring. It never really crossed my mind that he didn't until I was engaged and wondering about the ring for my H2B - I started to wonder what my dads was like, then realised that I couldn't remember because it didn't exist!

• M
    Beginner July 2014
    missk1989 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it is just that. I want him to want to show he is married. Im not sure why though. Without being cruel he is not exactly a ladies man and wouldnt recognise a girl was flirting no matter how obvious she was. We have been together for 4 1/2 years and have a son, he has never given me reason to doubt his loyalty and I trust him completley. So im not sure why I feel like this but I stick by what I said. I would be devastated, but hearing your comments maybe I will mull it over and talk to him about it after xmas.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

I think I would be upset too if my oh didn't want one. To be honest, I don't know why I feel that way! I think it may be because I see the ring as a strong outward symbol of a person's commitment and so not to have one feels a bit like they are only half heartedly in it.

Its a personal preference at the end of the day but I understand why you feel upset.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

- strangely, women are apparently more likely to go for a man witb a ring than one without so if anyone is thinking it may warn off other ladies it would sadly do the opposite!

Maybr I dont want my oh to have a ring after all! Lol! ; ) x

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Neither of us bother about jewellery really but we want wedding rings, I wear the odd necklace etc but OH hates all jewellery but for some reason he really wants a wedding ring. But if he didn't it wouldn't bother me at all, it's one of the least important things to us, but I do understand why some women would feel upset over it. I think you're best off sitting having a chat with him and go through it all Smiley smile

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

For me , I'm not going to lie , I would be a bit upset. Only because I am so excited about showing off the fact I'm married !! I have been with my OH 6 years and i trust him with my life - I don't think the not wearing a ring is a trust issue I just think that once your married the ring is there as a reminder of your vows and love. ( not that it's needed but I like the sentimental side of it ) - every time I look at my engagement ring I think wow ... And then all my memories come flooding back !!

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I wanted to say...

Anyway i couldn't care less if my Mr wears a ring or not! He can show his commitment to me in other ways!

i on the other hand can't wait to wear my wedding ring!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Yes I do mind. My OH didn't want one initially as he hates gold. So I took him shopping and let him into the world of palladium, titanium etc. Fortunately he changed his mind and is now very keen on having one Smiley smile

For me, yes, a ring is a symbol although it is not the important bit about being married. However, I want everyone to know we are married, and if I have to wear a ring then so does he. And I'm a big diamond fan so I just HAD to have one Smiley winking I don't care if nobody agrees with me, that's just my opinion.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    clareio ·
    • Hide content

Mine is having a wedding ring, but wont be able to wear it for work, so I think i'll get used to him not wearing it all the time and probably won't be too bothered.

Personally as I trust him enough to marry him i'm not bothered whether he wears a ring or not! I can see him regularly forgetting to put it on when he's not at work anyway... But he has said he plans to get a chain so he can wear it round his neck

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

My OH wont really be able to wear it for work - he wants to but for safety reasons. So he said he will take it off Monday morning and put it back on friday night - and if we go out in the week too - but he is so forgetful and loses everything.

One of the things i am looking forward to the most is seeing him wear his ring, i will be so proud knowing he is married to me. But im not too worried if he isnt wearing it in work.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

For me I think it would depend on why he didn't want to wear a ring, but to be honest I would have been pretty gutted if OH had decided not to wear one. I'm proud that we've decided to make a life long commitment to each other and I want the world to know!

What would really annoy me would be if OH was fairly insistent I change my name, but refused to wear a ring, that would seem totally one sided.

Not that this was an issue for us, OH was happy to wear a ring (after the initial discomfort, apparently he thought he was going to suffocate, how over dramatic!!) and I was happy to change my name!

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is odd because we had a catholic wedding (in Ireland) and we *had* to do it - there was no option of leaving it out.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Its probably a case of a reporter NOT researching the facts t4yt0

now that wouldn't be a first!!!!!!!!

Peter

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I'd be a bit upset if my OH chose not to wear a wedding ring, but that's because he does wear a ring on his other hand so I'd be a bit miffed if he didn't wear wedding ring.

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

My old man doesn't wear a wedding ring. Not remotely arsed about that whatsoever. Like he says, he knows he is married.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

As someone who is myself getting married next year the discussion of rings has come up and I personally won't be wearing one beyond the wedding day, for me it's a cheap £20 titanium ring that whilst I might wear it when myself and MRSCGP2B go out together as far as day to day goes no way.

Vows are binded by the giving and receiving of rings but I've not had it made known to me that it's mandatory to always wear them.

There's several reasons why I won't be wearing one but the main reasons are:

1. I've never worn jewellery, ever. Not even a watch. I don't like it, makes me feel uncomfortable and it feels alien to me.

2. It's a hazard in my line of work which involves glass lenses, plastic screens and such. I would imagine this is a good reason for many, especially those in the building trade where you could lose a finger if it get's caught.

Guys not wearing rings is a common issue as they don't often wear jewellery. It's a harder sell for us.

For me, my love is complete. I don't need to show a ring to others in order to prove that.

But, if I was to wear a ring the ones I did look at were 2k, so probably best I don't anyway Smiley laugh

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Other way round for us, it is me who didn't want a ring. I got a cheapo ring (was literally, a £130 jobby), to exchange, and now it sits in my jewellery box (actually, I have no idea where it is, but I told my H it is in my jewellery box).

I don't need a ring to remind myself that I am married. I am no less committed, just because I am not wearing my ring.

I actually had a change of heart, and H bought me a new, blinged up ring (along with an engagement ring, as I never had one of those either). I wore it for a day, then decided "I was right, I don't want a ring..." I wear it when H and I go out somewhere together, but that's it.

• T
    Beginner May 2014
    traleegirl ·
    • Hide content

We can't wait to wear wedding rings again, we are both divorced and its the one thing we really missed. Roll on May!! PS My ex refused to wear a wedding ring, made cheating a whole lot easier for him ;-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics