Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

The Sock Chicken
Beginner August 2010

Had a hair trial today - HONEST OPINIONS ONLY Please

The Sock Chicken, 19 June, 2010 at 17:34 Posted on Planning 0 31

I had my hair cut today and had a mini trial at the same time. I forgot to takea photo of what I wanted, which I thought was something a little like this

SO I had to kind of describe it, and I'm not sure whether I like it or not. So I need honest opinions - good 'old fashioned Hitched opinions, not 'fluffy say you like it to be polite' opinions!!

And please ignore my minimal made up face, I look like crap!

I don't think I like the side of my hair, although she said that she can curl it instead of just flicking the ends. I also think my veil should be sitting higher up. SHe is going to do another trial when I get my hair cut the week before the wedding and has booked in more time to play about with it, but if I'm not happy next time then this will be my last chance!

31 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 24 June, 2010 at 22:06
  • Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I like the front and the fact you've still got some bits down. Not a fan of the scraped back look. The sides don't look secure enough really but I suppose that's what trials are for to iron out all these things. And the defo needs to be hire I think. Maybe more height in the top is needed.

I agree with you that something needs to be done with the ends. Maybe a slight curl or a proper flick out (sorry don't know the technical terms) x

• S
    Beginner March 2012
    Squishybunny ·
    • Hide content

Being honest it looks a little flat and lacking wow.

Veil could do with been more up on the crown of your head. Sides of the hair need more volume. The shape at the front is nice, but your bangs need more whoomph.

I like your tiara

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

I like where your hair is swept back, but the sides aren't like the picture - I think you need to have more hair at the front (so your tiara is further back) and the sides need to be a bit shorter to get the effect of the first pic, and the front bits of your hair would need to be going back, maybe behind your ears to get the same look from the front. TBH I think your hair is a bit too long to get the same look as the first pic, but I DO think it looks good having it half up and half down.

Sounds like you're not sure though!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your honest opinions. The stylist said she would order this pad thing that will sit under my hair and lift it higher. Believe it or not she back combed it so much and put so much hairspray on, but my hair is so thin and light, it needs more.

The whole thing felt secure but the side definitely needs more oomph. I am thinking of going for curls as that's what the stylist suggested. She agreed it looked flat.

Wish I had thicker hair!

THanks for the compliment about my tiara ?

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

I think it needs more volume really, it all looks a bit flat whereas on the photo it's got quite a lot of volume at the back. The sides need either more flicking or some curls IMO. ?

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I love your tiara I think its gorgeous.

I think the style has potential but looks a little ordinary at the moment, if you took the tiara and veil off it could be an everyday style- but then that might be what you are after!

I am not a fan of veils at the back of heads anyway- i like them high and visable from the front so I would say go higher. and it looks a little stuck in there

I think your hair maybe a little too long for your favourite picture- would you consider cutting it?

Hope that wasnt too honest!

xx

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I would consider going shorter. At jaw length I thought it was about right, but maybe the woman in the photo has hair just slightly shorter, maybe about 1 inch max. In fact I think if I was to push all my hair back like in the photo it's prob actualy about the same. I will try it with a hairband.

I kept telling the stylist to put the veil higher. I want it visible from the front and the detail around the edge to be seen instead of folded in under as it was today.

SHe had to pin some hair back to create somewhere for the veil to hold in, and also to create a 'hump' to sit behind the tiara, so it's ended up looking half up half down, whereas it's supposed to just be short hair!

I don't know what to do. I thought I would go today and it would be perfect. It doesn't help that there is a shortage of short hair wedding hair styles on the internet!

• LuLu_x
    Beginner May 2012
    LuLu_x ·
    • Hide content

Hi i also have very thin fine hair, if your looking for a good volumising hair spray try Fat Hair from Superdrug.. ive been using it and it makes my hair HUGE! lol hope this helps Smiley smile ps. ur tiara is very pretty! x

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

I think it suits you like that but as others have said it need to be more secure, i also think it needs more volume. it needs something at the sides as others have said just have another play around xx

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I think it's a bit ordinary, and the sides don't look like they've been styled (probably just that they've dropped out?). Love the veil and tiara though!

I'd go back with the picture and see if she can recreate it once she's seen it. How did she flick the ends out? Get her to try it with straighteners if she didn't use them as apparently that tends to hold better? I'm no hairdresser though!

If you would like some of my hair please take it as mine's ridiculously thick!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I think the models hair is much shorter and don't think her hair is pulled back by the hairband by much. It looks like the front of her hair is shorter so once it's beind her ears there is probably a kirby grip keeping it in place and nothing below the ears.

I'm not keen on your trial, sorry ☹️. I think the flicks at shoulder length are old fashioned whereas if your hair was shorter it would look funky. I'm not a fan of bits around the face either but that's a personal preference. Agree with the others that it looks flat and kinda a normal everyday style.

My first hair trial ended up pretty similar to yours so I know how you feel. I have such fine hair and I had to accept having my hair down would have been a disaster because it would have ended up flat and messy very quickly no matter how much volume the hairdresser got into it.

Hope this wasn't too honest. x

• B
    Beginner September 2010
    barbsie ·
    • Hide content

Hi ..your hair needs to be cut shorter , and left full on the top this will look far better styled and funkier than how it is at the moment , the raiser your hairdresser is ordering will help give height at the crown , the veil needs to be on the top of your head , not at the back ..... i would take the photo with you to show him/her before your next appointment , see what she /he says , if you dont feel confident with the response , take the picture to other hairdressers until you do feel confident that they can create the style you want .You will be fine , there are plenty of products in salons that are able to give your hair body to give you that look.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is part of my worry - she used straighteners to flick it out ?

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope, this is exactly the honesty I wanted. I have been looking at the photos again, and it must be the number of layers I had on (t shirt, hoody, towel, magnetic thing they put round neck and gown) but my hair is way shorter than shoulder length. If I pull on the front I can make it reach my mouth! But as for the flicks - I'm not liking them at all and thats why I am considering a bit of curl/wave.

I don't want to go somewhere else as this is the stylist who has been doing my hair for the last 3 yrs. And now I am worrying that maybe I should have left it longer so I could have it up ☹️

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I agree that it looks a bit everyday and definitely needs some volume. I am not sure if this helps but here is a pic of my best friend on her wedding day...the hairdresser did a lot of back combing on the top and then the bits that are pulled up were curled at the back:-

The veil could then sit where the clip would be at the back.

Sorry if this is no help at all as I know it looks nothing like what you are wanting.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

My hair was about the same length as yours and my hairdresser got it up by putting rollers in, heaps of setting lotion, burning my scalp with the hot drier thingy and then the curls were pinned in place. My curls were kinda messy but it was the only way she could do it so if you want it up there might be a way. xx

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

A nice curn in the ends would be lovely i think and maybe a wee bit more height on top - that would allow the veil to sit higher up!! It is very nice tho! Im getin a hair do on monday! Smiley smile a wee cut and colour! Will have to talk wedding hair as well! My hairdresser is a friend as well and loves a good chin-wag about it all! Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner
    MimiFox ·
    • Hide content

I've had to rejoin as I've not been here for so long!

As someone who works in a salon I'm a bit confused by the cut, it looks like someone has cut a random chunk out of the side/back of your hair, it just doesnt look blended in if that makes sense. Not sure if its just the way it has been styled though but if you look at the first picture your hair jumps up at the back sudddenly.

I agree with the others about the flatness of the style and to be honest I really wouldn't be impressed with that trial as it looks like something you could do yourself at home. If you didn't have a cape on then I'd have assumed you'd been practising at home yourself.

My advice would be to start having a look at other salons, maybe ask friends who can recommend a good stylist. Its obvious that you're not happy and would you really want to risk it when the time comes?

Your tiara is beautiful though, you could do so much with your hair even if it is fine so don't panic. The hair you like in the picture reminds me of Stacey's hair in the first series from Gavin and Stacey ?

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Thanks KEBO, although the photo isn 't exactly what I am looking for, it is helpful to see other brides with short hair. THe internet has no photos!

PG - Can I see a photo of your hair please?

Deborah - I guess you mean curl, I'm thinking this may be the answer. Think I am going to get her to buy the pad thing she talked about as I think I'm going to need it! EVeryone talks about backcombing but she did backcomb it and spray it with hairspray and volumising stuff so much that at one point during the styling, one section was standing up straight (think Cameron Diaz in there's something about Mary!!)

THanks again everyone for your honest opinions. I really appreciate it. I came out feeling unsure and a little deflated and having you lot agree that it wasn't great has made me feel better!

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan tbh, sorry ☹️ It doesn't resemble the picture of what you wanted it like. The veil also looks a bit off the way it's all together. I think as a few others have said it would look more like the pic if your hair was shorter.

I feel awful now, sorry if I offended x

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You haven't offended me at all. I asked for honest opinions and that's what I have got, and I really apreciate it. If everyone had responded saying it was lovely when they really thought it was awful then it would have been no help at all!

The main reason it doesn't resemble the photo is because I actually forgot to take the photo and had to try and describe it from memory.

For some reason (might be the angle and the towels/robe etc) my hair looks longer in the photo than it actually is. I don't have a photo taken today but here is one from last yr, but I have it cut the same every time.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Gosh your does look much longer from that picture and I can see what you liked the style the model has because it does look possible from that photograph you've just posted.

The hair bumpy thing can be bought in Claires accessories and someone posted about that just the other week, I'll see if I can find the thread.

My hair wasn't as short going by that picture but this is what I had

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Another one

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Do you mind if I steal your photo? My hair grows super fast, so when I go back in 6 weeks I can see if it's possible to create something like that as a possible alternative to the other one I like.

THe only reason I liked the other one is that I never wear my hair up (mainly because I never grow it long enough) and want to be as naturally me as possible. THe stylist said she would get one of those bumpy things, but I might grab ne anway nexttime I'm near Claires just in case she forgets!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Course you can. I can email you the proper images if you want so they are bigger.

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    CSayer ·
    • Hide content

I agree the ends need to be properly flicked out or curled.Perhaps a few shorter layers then these could be flicked out so it's more spikey and set them with wax then they'd hold?

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

OK So I am no hair expert but here goes

I think the amount of hair you have back is perfect, enough to be glamrous but not to much so it looks all scraped back. I agree with other son her the sides need a bt more oomph depending on what you what a more defined flick back or some very soft curls/ waves to give it a more strcutred feeling and hold it away from your face a little. Maybe a few shorter layers will help with this.

I think a pad to lift the top bit of your hair is a fab idea plus I think when it is a bit higher he veil will sit a little higher and fall as you want.

your hair band is absolutely stunning by the way and I think your hair is very nearly there you are definately at the fine tuning stage.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

I saw this at the weekend and have been thinking about it. I think it looks a lot better in your random pic (e.g. the one you posted from last year), but I'm not sure you'll be able to get it to look exactly as you want, as it's fine.

I am not a hairdresser and don't even have short hair, but the following has occurred to me.

Getting it cut longer - (ifyswim!) so it's kicking off about an inch above your shoulders and then fair shorter (current length) choppy layers around your face and at the back.

The other option would be to put in some extensions - you can get these for short hair, and I think it would give you the volume and kick out that you need.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Sorry this is the first time I have been back and had chance to reply.

THanks again for all your input

Mimifox - Not sure who you were before, but I think what you are seeing is the way it has been styled. I can assure you that the actual cut is fine.It took me a long time to find this salon, and although I dont like the trial I do trust this stylist with my hair. I had a go at doing the style in the photo myself and I got quite a good result so feeling more positive it can be done.

CSayer - I am going to pop in to book another trial and I am going to go with my hair all flicked out as I do it myself so she can see what I like. There are some shorter layers there but the stylist only flicked the bottom.

Drifter - I think curls might be the answer but I'm worried my hair is too short.

BSB - Not sure if I have enough time to for it to grow enough, but great sugestion. Also seriously considering the extensions!

Thanks again everyone for the helpful advice and lovely comments about the tiara.

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

I'd say more volume and veil higher up.

• sara.jo
    Beginner June 2011
    sara.jo ·
    • Hide content

Hey :o)

She could put a light curl in it, and that would give it some volume I would think...And what about some false bits of hair so you look like you have more volume if thats whats worrying you? I think the idea is very nice - you shouldnt be put off...just a bit of backcombing and those things they put under your hair she mentioned (they are very good) would work.. The picture of the lady with the style you like has had a curl in hers.....

I dont have a clue how to have my hair either :o(

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

Bit late coming in on this now but thought I would voice my opinion anyway!

Is your hair layered? It looks to me like the lady in the photo has shorter layered hair which gives it that "flicky" look at the sides, difficult to say if you get that with yours as there is no picture from the front. Did she flick it out all in one go or did she use the straighteners in layers? I only ask because although very long, my hair is similar to yours and mine has long layers - if I use my straighteners to flick out the ends it only really works if I do it one layer at a time, if I try and do it all in one go it looks very blunt which is how I think yours looks in the picture.

It can be so hard trying to get your own hair to recreate an image, I just know that my hair is not going to play ball!!!

I think maybe you need more height behind the tiara, veil to be higher and possibly some more layers cut in around the bottom to give it that naturally flicky look, not so blunt looking.

I know you wanted honest but I still hope I didn't hurt your feelings!!! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics