Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner March 2013

Haggling on dress price?

lumc86, 28 May, 2012 at 10:04 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello lovely ladies,

I think I have finally found 'my dress' - Its Justin Alexander 8530, and I just LOVE it! http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/jar/8530

But it is a little bit more (£100 or so) than I wanted to spend. I see lots of people on here say they haggled their prices down a bit. I am RUBBISH when it comes to doing things like - I think im a bit of a pushover. So, im after some haggling advice!! What do you say?!?! The dress comes with its own veil so I cant even ask them to do me a deal if I buy one of those!

HELP!!

xx

9 replies

Latest activity by Banner, 7 June, 2012 at 14:33
  • 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

First rule haggling is - If you don't ask you don't get !

Tell the that it is over your budget, and you still have shoes and hair accessories to get within your budget, even if they don't budge on the dress price you might get shoes or something thrown in to the deal.

OH and don't tell them its only £100 over budget either or thats all they will knock off.

Good Luck

L x

• MrsT-tobe
    Beginner June 2013
    MrsT-tobe ·
    • Hide content

I could do with some haggling advice too! The women in the dress shop knows how much I want this dress as it will be the third time that I will have been and tried it on.

Think I may get my bridesmaid to help with the haggling as I hate asking for discounts!

Good luck with you haggling!

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

If you can try and find out what other dress shops in the area are selling the dress for they might match it to clinch the sale.

• MissReedNoMore
    Beginner June 2012
    MissReedNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Hello ladies,

I purchased my dress in a large chain shop and it was supposed to be £1300.

I made a point of telling them that I'd just completed a charity event and raised £2000 for a charity and that I wouldn't pay more than half of that on a dress as it seemed so wrong. I then said that if they knocked it down to £1000 I would buy it there and then. I got it for £1060 with just a phone call to head office.

It can be done but you have to sound like you really mean business and that you are ready and willing to give them a sale (cos at the end of the day that's what it is to them - sounds harsh, sorry). This was very difficult for me as I'm incredibly timid when it comes to things like this, but I was adamant that I wasn't paying £1300 for my dress.

If all else fails you could always try looking for it elsewhere - so many girls change their minds on their dress and end up choosing another and selling the original one, brand new with it's tags and packaging etc. on ebay or preloved. Is this an option you would choose? Most good dressmakers and tailors can alter wedding dresses and will be happy to help, usually for less than a dress shop too, as they put their own mark up on any alterations made.

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content

This is also my dress!! I love it! I shopped around for my dress and I got it alot cheaper than other bridal shops. How much are you wanting to pay?

• L
    Beginner March 2013
    lumc86 ·
    • Hide content

Ideally i dont want to go over £1000, possibly even including alterations! I've had a bit of a shop around, but it seems to be pretty much the same price everywhere! How did you manage to get it cheaper (if you dont mind me asking)? :o)

Thanks! x

• PurpleStar
    Rockstar May 2022
    PurpleStar ·
    • Hide content

I tried on a dress priced at £799 - I told them it was way over my budget of £400 and that I wouldn't be buying it. The dress was an sample dress which had been used in a photo shoot with the designer some time ago, the shop said I was the first person the dress had fitted properly and offered to drop the price to £750 + alterations.

I said that I was very sorry but that was still way over my budget and could I just take the dress back off now please - whilst I was getting out of the dress the manager said she'd work out their best possible price and came back to me with £699 with free alterations so I ended up buying it.

However I now really wish I'd tried on more dresses and even looked at 2nd hand dresses as I feel awful for spending that much money on a dress i'll wear once!!

• Perfection Weddings
    Beginner March 2012
    Perfection Weddings ·
    • Hide content

It depends what kind of shop it is to be honest. my dress shop was/is extremely popular and they didnt knock a penny off mine lol even though i also bought 4 bm dresses from there too. However they are amazing so i couldnt complain really x

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

Call other bridal shops and get quotes, and then tell the shop you want to use how much they have quoted you (always knock off a bit more)

My dress was £1300 I called a few shops and someone offered it me for £900 but miles out of the way!! So I emailed my local shop and said what they had offered and they knocked it down to £1050 and its close by

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When I founf the JA 8530 online I contacted lots of stockists to get a rough of idea of price, most of them wanted £1200 to £1400. A shop called the Bridal Path in Liverpool said £1000. I then went to a wedding fair and got a 10% dicount voucher from them so I paid £900 for my dream dress. So compared to other shops i got it a lot cheaper. I didnt haggle, I was happy to pay £900 beacuase I knew what other shops wanted.

Could you get to Liverpool?? The shop was lovely x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics