Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner October 2017

Hair and make up cost

Purpleshoes13, 4 of August of 2016 at 18:23 Posted on Planning 0 5

I've been itching to do some wedding planning, so thought I would get some quotes for hair and make up. When sending enquiries I've tried to give a little detail about what my 3 bridesmaids, my mum and my OH's mum want and had generic prices back.

My OH's mum has already said she wants quite natural make up and only a plait in her hair. The prices I've had back suggest this would cost around £90. Is it unreasonable to ask them for a reduced price as it seem silly to pay £45 for a plait? Similarly for one of the bridesmaids who doesn't wear make up normally and may only want a little something on the day.

Have you found hair and make up teams to be quite flexible? I'm not great at talking things through on the phone and don't currently have the option of going to the studio at the moment.

5 replies

Latest activity by katieJ2b, 5 of August of 2016 at 10:04
  • kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

It's always worth asking the question ?. I'm only having my hair and make-up done (bridesmaids doing their own) and was told she didn't do a discount for booking hair AND make-up, whereas some place will do. If you're booking for a few people and one or two don't have much done, and pay on the day, I'd go for it and try knocking her down a bit. At least you could turn round a say 'you only spent x minutes on her hair, how's that worth the same as her hair that you spent over half an hour on?', or words to that effect. All my bookings/negotiations have been done via email as I'm rubbish with the phone

• R
    Dedicated July 2017
    RomanticBrownFlowers354 ·
    • Hide content

In my experience that just have a set price for doing make up and a set price for doing hair and they dont really care how simple it is that they are doing. You can always try and negotiate, especially if you are having lots of people and they're having hair and makeup.

On the other hand, you don't want them to do too many people (unless they have a helper) as then it will be a very very early start! Maybe I am just lazy but I didn't fancy having a 7am start to a day that is already destined to be long and draining (in a good way, of course!).

If it that simple can she not do it herself? I would just ask her if she would consider £x amount n light of person x and person y only wanting simple styles, and see what she says.

• Ginguar
    Beginner May 1975
    Ginguar ·
    • Hide content

I found my Hair and Makeup person via this website -

https://www.weddingspot.co.uk

They do brides for £250 inc trial. bridesmaids for £80 and Mothers for £75 I was pretty happy with that.

For an extra £30 I'm getting 2 people so we don't have to get up as early.

• P
    Beginner October 2017
    Purpleshoes13 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your replies. The people I have got the quote from there is at least two of them, maybe that is why they charge what they do.

• F
    Beginner September 2017
    FutureMrsT17 ·
    • Hide content

I've only got quotes for makeup only so far and one lady quoted me £190 for bride, 2 bridesmaids and MOB and the other is £150. Such a tough thing to decide on..

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

I have asked for quite natural make up, but she still spent nearly an hour on my face during my trial! I loved it. I would say that even if they want a natural look they will still use quite a lot of make up - A LOT more than I thought she would use on me anyway. So you might not get very far with that one. Definitely ask if there is any movement on those prices though - don't ask, don't get! If there are more of you then you are more likely to be given some kind of discount.

I am having a different person do our hair. I was struggling for a while as everyone I found wanted to charge one set price for bridesmaid up dos when in fact I only want something quite simple for them. I would've been happy paying £45 for an up do for them, but they are going to have their hair down in loose curls so I wasn't prepared to pay the same price for that. In the end I've booked my Mum's hairdresser who is lovely and charging quite a good rate for all of us. Keep looking round - facebook is brill for this!x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics