Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

eeyoring
Beginner June 2012

Hair and Make up Costs

eeyoring, 11 March, 2012 at 12:07 Posted on Planning 0 19

Oh my word its expensive!

So far all quotes are coming in way above what I can afford. To have me and my bridesmaids hair and make up done is looking at about £800 - £1000 and thats without a trial for the bridesmaids. I cannot justify spending more than double my dress cost on hair and make up!

My wedding is just outside Derby in June, but until the wedding I will be in north London working so trial could be in London or more north.

Can anyone suggest a good person who isnt going to demand a kidney to curl and put up my hair?

Please help!

Thanks

19 replies

Latest activity by eeyoring, 24 March, 2012 at 19:51
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Woah how many bridesmaids do you have?!

I'm about to book mine, seen all sorts of quotes but the one I'm going with is:

Makeup for me - £150 inc trial

Hair for me - £65 inc trial

Hair/makeup for bm's - £50 each no trial (£30 hair, £30 makeup or £50 if having both)

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

Its been quotes at £110 hair and make up trial for me. no trial for girls - I cant afford it! And then on the day £100 hair and make up for each bridesmaid and £400 hair and make up for me!

I'd love to get someone local but its hard because Im working in London right up until the wedding.

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

Nutella - How did you find the person you're using? On a wedding site or a local supplier?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

My lady was recommended by another hitcher, and then I actually met her at my venue's wedding fair.

Whereabouts are you getting married, there are HIBs and hitchers who might be able to help with recommendations for you.

I found http://www.facetime.co.uk/ pretty useful when I was starting to look as well, gets you quotes from local people with just 1 click. Really handy to give me an instant idea of how much quotes varied, what classified as expensive/reasonable/cheap etc.

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. I have contacted a few people through facetime - though because Im in London but my wedding is in Derbyshire I dont fit easily into their categories.

Im waiting to hear back form the ones Ive contacted.

Im now googling local to my venue to see what I can find

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

If you change the name of the thread to mention Derbyshire you might get some recommendation - I can think of at least 1 bride who is getting married there!

• T
    Beginner June 2012
    TheDitzyOne ·
    • Hide content

Is your stylist/mua quite local to your venue or are you being charged for travel? That sounds like quotes I put together at my place. We charge time and a half per appointment that the stylist is out of the salon plus travel to and from the venue (your home or actual venue). Check exactly what youre being charged for

• smazzy_smoo
    Beginner June 2014
    smazzy_smoo ·
    • Hide content

I live and am getting married in Derbyshire, so I'm looking for hair & make up people too. I've met a lovely make up lady called Elaine at Lips and Lashes (www.lipsandlashes.co.uk), she's quite cheap and well recommended, so I'm probably going to go with her. Can't help on the hair front I'm afraid, as I'm finding it hard myself to find someone without having to go to a salon.

Have a look on Elaine's website though, she's got prices on there ?

• smazzy_smoo
    Beginner June 2014
    smazzy_smoo ·
    • Hide content

Just found this stylist (recommended by another Hitcher!), might be worth contacting her, she's got prices on her website too http://www.thebridalhairstylist.co.uk/ ?

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've contacted a few local to my venue and will follow up on your ideas.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks x

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My friends a hair dresser in derbyshire (near alfraton or something, might have spelt that wrong)..she's doing my hair as she does bridal but i'm not sure if she does out of salon stuff normally... i could ask her if you want?

• Rochelle (Make up HIB)
    Rochelle (Make up HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I cover the East Midlands and I have a base in Finchley too, so could arrange to have a trial there if necessary. I work with a couple of hair ladies I can recommend too, one of whom has already been mentioned above.

• M
    Beginner September 2012
    mill-pill ·
    • Hide content

Get a free trial at Debenhams/John Lewis etc, book them to do it on the morning of your wedding doubt you would pay more than £30, I am getting my hair done at the hair dressers about £30 because it is my regular hairdresser, I stay in Edinburgh so its not cheap here either. As for you BM's I would expect them to pay for their own hair and make up, or do their own make up. None of my BM's are expecting me to pay for theirs and I told them at the start that I could not afford it.

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

I'm in Derbyshire, Elaine at lipsandlashes is doing our make up, she's a lovely lady very friendly and knowledgeable. Where abouts in Derbyshire are you getting married? My usual hairdresser is doing our hair, she's mobile anyway. I will recommend her if she fits into your area, she's fabulous!

x

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that. I have emailed Elaine. The wedding is at Horsley Lodge just outside Derby.

• smazzy_smoo
    Beginner June 2014
    smazzy_smoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's where I first met Elaine funnily enough! Lovely venue ?

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

The first person I spoke to quote me £300 and I said "no way". But I ended up going back to her with my tail between my legs when I realised that was the going rate! X

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

I hope Elaine is able to help you. Horsley Lodge isn't far away from me, I really recommend Deb for hair, see her website http://www.dchairdesign.com/index.php I don't think she would travel down to London for a trial but she is excellent for flexibility, works evenings etc so you could maybe fit in a trial when you are in the area visiting.

Hope that helps.

x

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I looked at all of then and had a chat with a few. I have now booked Deb (dchairdesign) and Rochelle OBrian and have managed to plan both trials in the week before the wedding when I'm back in the area. Thank you again. I'm so excited.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics