Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner January 2016

Hair and Make up - separate or both?!

kimster, 25 of May of 2015 at 21:58 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi all,

I'm totally clueless about hair and make up - I have had the same hairstyle / used the same hair products for about 10 years! I'm not really a girly girl, I'd like to be but going to the hairdresser etc makes me feel uncomfortable and out of my depth. I do however want to look nice on my wedding day so I definitely want to get my hair and make up done by a professional! This means I have no idea about who/how to book hair and make up artists.

I met a girl at a wedding fair who did me a quick eye makeover and I loved it, she seemed nice and I also won a raffle on the day for a beauty discount card which meant I could take advantage of this girl's special offers through the card. It seemed like fate... then I started over-thinking! She's only qualified last year and obviously is trying to build up her business, so doesn't have a lot of sample work or testimonials. She is cheap compared to all the others although that's probably got a lot to do with me being able to have the offer price. She does both hair and make up, and I started to worry that it might be a lot for her to do both hair and make up for me, 3 bridesmaids and my Mum on the big day. Is that why most hair and make up artists either do one thing or the other?

Just interested to know how you all found your hair and make up artists - and did / are yours doing both your hair and make up? Am I better looking for separate people? Should I stop over thinking this and book this girl, or should I look for someone with more experience?

Would be grateful for any advice and experiences anyone can share! (and anyone in Chester / Wrexham who might have recommendations!)

11 replies

Latest activity by kimster, 27 of May of 2015 at 12:49
  • samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

I went for separate, but then again my hairdresser grew up and went to school with my mum so it was always a given that she would be doing mine!

I think both together is very common, and so long as you plan well it should be fine to have her do all of you. When I have my hair and make up trials my BMs and mum are having trials too, maybe that would be a good idea for you to get timescales right.

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

I didn't plan to, but I have booked hair and make up through the same lady. With regards to fitting everyone on in on the morning of the wedding, for larger groups she does have an assistant, so there will be 2 of them. You are right in what you said with the girl you met, in that as she only qualified last year she will be offering discounts etc to try and promote her name and grow her business. Would there be any chance you could have a trial for hair and make up with her before committing to booking her for your wedding to see how she does?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

As a photographer I have seen a lot of wedding makeup artists at work!

I think it's best to book one provider, eg this girl you like, and let her book any sub-contractors that are needed. I have seen situations where brides have been late getting ready. If you have separate companies doing hair & makeup they can blame each other for delays. If you book one supplier then they are responsible for delays and it is their duty to ensure they bring the correct staff and equipment to fulfil your contract.

• MrsWallaceToBe
    Beginner August 2016
    MrsWallaceToBe ·
    • Hide content

I've got a lady booked that does hair and makeup together. I met her at a wedding fair and looked through her portfolio of lots of brides & bridesmaids. Then went home and looked at her website. It looks like she has lots of experience and good recommendations. I also spoke to her on the phone. She was really nice and friendly. Very chatty. I told her I wanted hair and makeup done for me and 6 bridesmaids and she said yep that is fine and we'd probably need to start around 730am. Her prices were very reasonable, so I paid a deposit to secure my date and will call her in a few months to arrange a trial.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I had the same girl for both. We did start early (7:15!) but that's because one of my bridesmaids has very long hair so it had to go in the curlers early. That was for me and 2 bridesmaids. If she says she can do it then go for it! You'll have a trial anyway so I'm sure you'll be happy with her work. Get her booked up before you lose a great deal!

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for separate but only because the hair is in house to the venue and the make-up is an independent who was recommended by the venue and used for most of their weddings. It just happened that her portfolio matched pretty much what I was looking for!

• K
    Beginner January 2016
    kimster ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for the replies! It's good to know that a lot of people do have the same supplier for both, I had got it in my head that most people have them separate. I think I will email her and ask her whether she can accommodate the group size and see if I can have a trial before I book. It's so hard isn't it - everyone has to start somewhere with their businesses, they'll never build up a portfolio and recommendations unless people give them a try!

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

I've booked both separately but only because I thought one person to do hair and make up for 6 of us might be a bit much and I don't want to be rushing or stressed on the day!

I found my MUA through Facebook - I'm in Chester as well and that's where she's based. Her name is Jennifer Gooding and there are lots of examples of her work on Facebook. She does great packages for groups as well

The hairdresser I booked was recommended by our venue which is in Holywell, I'm having my trial in a couple of weeks because I haven't seen much of her work but I had a great chat with her on the phone and she's got lots of experience so I'm feeling optimistic Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Also Sophie Seldon is a make up artist based in Prestatyn, but she will travel to Chester/Wrexham if there are 3 or more of you. She's fab and I've had my make up done by her several times but unfortunately she was already booked on our wedding day! She's also on Facebook as Sophie Lauren Seldon

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for someone who supplies both - cause it's just less faffing around with deposits and budgeting for me really, haha!

I live in Chester and have gone with Divine Hair & Make-Up in Hawarden on the outskirts - ask for a lady named Emma. They use Airbrush & Mac make-up, and I have to say, they were all very friendly. She even offers a 5 minute meeting for you before you agree, with a quick tester of the airbrush stuff.

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat! I use the same limited range of makeup products for every day and going out, and don't do anything to my hair apart from blow-drying it occasionally, but I would like to look properly styled on my wedding day. I briefly considered doing my own hair and makeup, but then I thought the cost of decent makeup and a course to learn how to apply it would probably end up costing the same as a MUA. And I am totally clueless re: hair styling.

I haven't booked mine yet but I've made an enquiry (just this afternoon actually). I just trawled Google for hair and makeup artists in the Cheshire/Manchester area, then narrowed it down to the cheapest (and best) five. I never even considered booking separate people. I might have done if I already knew a really good hairdresser or MUA, but it was so much easier to work out prices and generally organise things to get one person who can do both.

• K
    Beginner January 2016
    kimster ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks all for the recommendations too! Will check them all out... good to know there are others in the same boat. I didn't realise just how clueless I was about all this. I'm starting to realise that most of my friends go for regular brow shaping, manicures, pedicures etc etc too and I have never done any of these things! Wedding planning has opened up a whole new world to me!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics