Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

TrixieSaurus
Beginner August 2016

Hair and make up trial was a disaster

TrixieSaurus, 11 of June of 2016 at 12:40 Posted on Planning 0 9

As above...

Wedding is in 10 weeks and I went for my trial yesterday. After 3 hours my hair has dropped and my makeup looks awful. Don't understand how the woman has raving reviews all over the place with people saying how the look held til the very end, when I got home the foundation had creased and my hair was limp and awful. I looked about 10 years older - the make up had cracked in places I didn't even know I had wrinkles..! OH even said I didn't look any better than when I make a half arsed effort for a night out after 3 hours...

Oh, and I defo can't cry in the make up...

Really don't know what to do - I've literally contacted every hair and makeup artist who would be willing to travel to my venue. I'm crap at doing make up, and I really don't want to do my own as I know what I'm like and will end up having a paddy on the morning when it doesn't go right.

I contcated the lady and she said it was really unusual blah blah blah. If I want another trial I have to pay another £65....

Really don't know what to do :'( nothing is going right and I just want to jack this whole wedding in. I'm actually not enjoying any part of it at all.

9 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousPinkDecor608, 15 of June of 2016 at 16:29
  • Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

That's awful. Is she seriously going to charge you for another trial when the first one didn't go very well? I would ask her if she is willing to do another trial for free, seeing as you aren't happy with the standard from the first one. She should be trying to make you happy, not charging you again!

When is the wedding? Have you tried joining local Facebook wedding groups? That's how I found my hairdresser. They tend to be much more reasonable too x

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Where is the Wedding Trixie? If it's in the West Midlands (long shot I know) I know a few people.

Take a look at local selling pages as PP has said, and also consider looking for separate hair and makeup people. You may find the quality better Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry it was such a disaster. I can't believe she would charge you for another trial when it is her mess up!

Could you try some local hair dressers / beauty salons to your venue rather than looking for someone who will travel? Or do you have a friend who is good at make up and could perhaps do it for you. You could go to one of the make up counters together to get some tips.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I am really surprised that the MUA isn't offering to do it again for free. Did you send her photos?

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

Thanks All,

Have been offline all weekend, had my niece over and she was helping us to paint things for centre pieces and favours.

Spent half of yesterday trawling websites and getting 'no's from even more hair and makeup artists ?

Wedding is in Bedfordshire Stephisaur, so I think West Midlands will be too far for them to travel Smiley sad thanks tho!

I did look for MUAs using airbase as I had it when I was BM for my friend's wedding in April and it was excellent! Lasted all day (from what I can remember!) and didn't feel cake-y. I actually thought for some reason that this lady did it, but I may have her mixed up with another.

I'm just extra pee'd off as she would propose a date, I would say yes a couple of hours later, then she'd tell me the slot had gone! So delayed the whole process by about 3 weeks.

I was expecting that the trial would give me an idea of how the makeup and hair would hold as I knew exactly what I wanted when I went. She sent me a message saying what she would change for the actual day - more pins to hold the curls and a different foundation, but to be honest I've lost all confidence in her now.

I don't think she's that bothered about losing the booking as she reiterated to me that she had another bride asking about the same date...

My mum's offered to ask her friend/hairdresser if she would do a trial for me, and she's going to have a go at my makeup too, although she's not a MUA... Trying to get something booked in for this week but have a funeral to attend Weds and really not feeling this stress at the mo. Kind of puts things into perspective a little bit I guess. Still (perhaps selfishly) doesn't stop me having a mini breakdown that nothing seems to be going right...

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Sounds quite similar to my experience of my MU trial.

My hair went great and was still in place pretty much 6 hours later - wuinner winner chicken dinner.

I had Airbase make-up and found my face was shiny and the make-up wearing off after 3 hours. I emailed my MUA straight away and suggested that although I was happy with the style of the make-up, the staying power was pants. She did admit that she hadn't put much on, and also said she hadn't put primer, matte powder or fixing spray on.

Bit of a half job! But then I realised I was getting my trial for half the price of my on the day make-up, so kind of didn't gripe too much. It was just nice knowing they there was extra she could do.

I had the option of having another trial, but would have to pay for it. I think this is understandable because they are spending time and using products on your face. I decided against it though and will just take the risk on the day that her extra touches will make it last well. I didn't want to deal with the stress of finding someone else.

• T
    Beginner June 2017
    TheFutureMrsRoffey ·
    • Hide content

Hi Trixie,

I'm sorry to hear this, what a disappointing experience.

I'm about to book a trial through this company: http://www.thebridalstylists.co.uk/#!stylists/cfvg from looking at the list of make up / hair stylists it seems they have someone in Bedfordshire. Might be worth a look!

Also there are a few based in London and I'm sure they would travel (adds to your expense though of course).

Good luck.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Trixie, there is a Facebook group called Mrs Gloss and the Goss and there are quite a few pro-MUAs on there. It might be worth a try sending out an SOS on there.

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    LuxuriousPinkDecor608 ·
    • Hide content

Hi FutureMrsSmith2017 ,

Could you give us some names of facebook groups to join??

Thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics