Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsMarshall260517
Beginner May 2017

Hair and makeup prices

MrsMarshall260517, 11 of May of 2016 at 20:28 Posted on Planning 0 18

Can anyone tell me how much to expect to pay for hair and makeup on my big day, I'm based in the West Midlands.

Thanks in advance!

18 replies

Latest activity by Boro_Bex, 18 of May of 2016 at 12:11
  • 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I've had quotes ranging from £80 to £300 for hair and make up... that's just for me.... and I still haven't found anyone that I like their work enough to pay that sort of money for!

I've found finding hair and make up more stressful than anything else whilst planning our wedding!

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Erugh, hair and make up has been the worst! I've also had a wide range of prices!! I have trials booked in with people charging the following:

hair = £140 for me and three adult bridesmaids
    make up = £65 for me and £30 per bridesmaid

I am based in Essex so closer to London than you x

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I'm West Midlands too.

Makeup is £90 Bride, £40 MOB/BMs

Hair is £40 for me I think (known Hairdresser forever so haven't actually asked!) and £45 for BMs (different hairdresser)

xx

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Always depends on area, but I imagine you can find something for a reasonabl price.

I'm in Cheshire and found that for all the quotes I got for me to have hair/make up (with a trail) and one BM to have hair with no trial, it came out around £250.

I settled for the following;-

Trial Hair - £35

Trial Makeup (airbrush) - £40

Wedding Hair - £50

Wedding Makeup (airbrush) - £79

BM Hair - £35

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I live in Essex and I have booked my make up lady after having a kind of trial (she did my make up for my birthday night out and I loved it). She charges £30 for me and £30 for each bridesmaid. She is charging me £15 to travel to my venue.

I haven't booked my hairdresser yet but there are two I am considering. One is £25 per person and the other is charging £215 for me, four adult bridesmaids, MOB, MOG and a flower girl.

I found all three people through Facebook local groups and wedding groups. They are much cheaper than the ones you see at wedding fairs etc. One girl quoted me £120 for me and £60 per bridesmaid for make up. I nearly fell off my chair! No way would I pay that! X

• L
    Beginner
    Lucy Jones - Make-up Artist ·
    • Hide content

Hello, My name is Lucy Jones and I am a make-artist from Buckinghamshire(near London)

I agree that prices for wedding hair and make-up can vary a great deal but the most important thing is that you are happy and trust the person or persons you choose for the big day.

I can not stress enough the importance of a trial, If you are happy with the trial you will be happy on the day. I believe it is very important to get along and feel comfortable with the person you choose, as you are allowing them to be part of something very personal and intimate and I truly believe that part of my job is to make the Bride feel as relaxed and incredible as possible, as well as looking that way.

My advice to you all would be to speak to any potential make up artists and hairdressers, have a trial and take it from there. My personal goal is to have a happy client and will tailor their package to suit their needs, so it may be worth asking for a discount if you are booking a group, i.e. Bride, MOB and Bridesmaids.

As a rough a guide, This is what I charge:

Bridal Trial - £35

Bridal Make-Up - £65

Adult Bridesmaid/Mother Of The Bride - Trial - £25

Adult Bridesmaid/Mother Of The Bride - £35

Bridesmaid (aged 12 through to 16 years) - £20

Flower Girl - Glitter and Gloss - £5

It is also worth asking if the artist will travel to you, regardless of distance as this could mean you find somebody you are really happy with, rather than being limited to artists in your local area.

I hope this has been of some help and I wish you all the best for your future weddings.

If you would like any more information on myself, please take a look at my website: lucy-jones.co.uk

You can also find my profile on the Hitched suppliers page, under beauty and makeup in Buckinghamshire.

Many Thanks Lucy Jones

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Prices day vary greatly between makeup artists. The best thing to do is look at their gallery to see if you like the makeup they do, email or phone and speak to the artist to get a feel of who they are. As it's important to feel comfortable with the artist.

Prices vary due to experience, products they use, travel, training.

I'm based in the West Midlands and charge:

Bride trial £40.

Bride on the day £60.

Bridesmaids / Mother of the Bride/Groom trial £30.

Bridesmaids / Mother of the Bride/Groom on the day £40.

Aimee x

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

Finally found someone reasonably priced who was available and can do what I want- £440 for hair and makeup trial for me and for hair and makeup for me and 3 bridesmaids and my mum.

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

My hair and make up together is £100 plus £50 for the trial

Any bridesmaid etc its £30 for hair and £30 for make up

Im in Nottingham Smiley smile

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm also WM and I was getting quotes about this too. Costs do really depend on who you go for and their experience (or what they think they're worth), worth shopping around and speaking to anyone who may have had one before.

It was stressing me out so decided to do my hair and make up myself!

• Jessyka1990
    Beginner June 2016
    Jessyka1990 ·
    • Hide content

Hello im also in west midlands (birmingham)

My hairdresser is charging £195 that is for me and four brides maids.

and my mua is £90 just for me but that included the trial, i also get a free full size lip product for top ups during the day. And she stay with me until i leave incase i need touch ups x

• O
    Beginner October 2016
    orangesox ·
    • Hide content

Prices vary so much, my hair salon charge £100 per person for hair and airbrush makeup including trials, OR £28 for hair up, and £30 for make up. which is all well and good, BUT they won't open up any earlier than 9am (for a 12noon wedding), and won't consider coming out to the house for a fee meaning I'd have to drive all 5 of us into town to get it done, and have no time to get ready...

I've found a fantastic MUA and Stylist team close to my home who'll be there from 7am till we leave for the ceremony, and take getting ready pics so we don't have to have the photographer there as an extra body getting in the way haha! They're charging the following:

Hair up for Bride (£50), Matron of Honour (£35) and Junior Bridesmaid (£15), and Blow Drys for Mother of Bride and Bridesmaid (2 x £30) + £5 for travel = £165 total

Makeup for Bride (£60), Matron of Honour, Bridesmaid and Mother of Bride (3 x £40) + Glitter and Gloss for Junior Bridesmaid (Free) + £5 for travel = £185 total

Trials are £80 for me for both, and £70 for any of the others who want to go for a trial.

Very happy with this :-)

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

I'm REALLY struggling with this - and I only have 3 months to go! ?

Prices vary SO much (am in Bedfordshire), but i'm basically getting quoted in the region of £200 for the day with £80-90 for a trial on top. That's for hair and make up, just for me. If I want to include bridesmaids they're going to be at the very least 100 each. Really don't want to have to do it myself as I will just look rubbish, but struggling with the prices...

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying £265 for my hair and makeup, plus a trial, and hair for three bridesmaids (no trial). I sifted through A LOT of websites and price-wise, this is at the bottom end of the range.

• L
    Beginner
    Lucy Jones - Make-up Artist ·
    • Hide content

Hi TrixieSaurus,

I did post earlier in the thread but I'm sorry to hear that the Hair and Makeup part of your wedding is stressing you out as this should be one of the most enjoyable parts.

I am a make up artist based in Buckinghamshire, so not too far from you and I have a hairdresser who joins me at weddings to do the hair.

The prices you listed above are quite expensive and I think I have ideas which could reduce the overall costs and still mean you get to have professional hair and make up at your wedding.

If I were you, I would have a trial for hair and makeup for yourself but to save costs don't have trials for your bridesmaids. I have worked with lots of Brides who will email me photographs of their bridesmaids, or mother of the bride or mother in law along with photographs of hair and make up looks they like and I design their makeup from this.

It is vitally important to feel comfortable with your selected Makeup artist and hairdresser and If you have a good relationship with them and trust them, they will not let you down on the day.

As a rough guide I would charge:

Make Up - Trial - £35 and Day £65

Hair - Trial £30 and Day £50 (hair costs may vary slightly depending on style)

Bridesmaids(Adult) - £35

Bridesmaid(12 though to 16 years) -£20

I hope this has been of some help and if you would like to discuss anything further my contact details can be found on my website at: lucy-jones.co.uk

Good Luck Lucy Jones

• M
    Beginner
    MrsMarshall2B260517 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! It's good to know I'm not the only one a bit taken back by the whole thing!! I've been quoted anything from £50 on the day to £150 for hair! And one hairdresser told me she's already taking bookings for the week I'm getting married! (26/5/17) it seems so early to be booking hair and makeup but maybe it's not!! X

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

It does seem early but I booked mine nearly 18 months before my wedding and my first choice was already booked for my date!

I'm paying £100 for hair and makeup on the day. My trial was £60.

• M
    Beginner
    MrsMarshall2B260517 ·
    • Hide content

Can I ask how long before the wedding you had your trial?

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

About 7 weeks before. I booked without a trial so I was a bit worried but I was really pleased with how it went.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics