Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alice_In_Wonderland
Beginner March 2013

Hair donut frustration :(

Alice_In_Wonderland, 12 January, 2013 at 18:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Argh!!!

I bought a hair donut today to start practicing some styles.

Bought the smallest one I could, and some kirby grips. Put hair into pony tail, pulled it through the centre of the donut, stared covering donut with hair.......

My hair is so bl**dy thin & fine there isn't enough of it to cover the donut!!!!!!! Smiley sad Not only that, but my hair is so straight and slippy that the grips won't even stay in my hair.

Got a bit cross with it Smiley sad

11 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 12 January, 2013 at 21:53
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

These things are your friend: dirty hair, mousse, mattifying/texturising/Dust-It products, backcombing.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Yes, my hair is likewise so thin and fine, GHDs can't really curl it, friends find it surprisingly weird when they try and curl it and it just limps back down haha. Have you got the dancer style pins rather than normal bobby pins? The donut can work with fine hair but you'd need a certain length to trap the ends well.

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

Noted, new shopping list made!

Last time I backcombed my hair it just looked like a tangled mess Smiley sad I don't have enough to be able to make a smooth layer over the top.

My hair is crap!

ETA - what are the dancer style pins?? My hair doesn't curl either!! Lol

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried rolling the donut down your ponytail? (YouTube it) That's what I do. I think pinning would be too tricky to do on myself?

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

The trouble is my hair looks greasy so quickly if I don't wash it - I don't want greasy looking hair on my wedding day! Smiley sad

I think I'm going to have to wear it down to be honest. So annoying! Smiley sad

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Well, fill it with product and then spritz it with shine spray. Job done.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Dancer pins are a bit thinner looking and like pulled apart bobby pins, basically they're designed to be poked into the mesh of ballet dancer donut buns, whereas bobby pins you have to grip your hair I'm guessing? With the dancer pins you stick them right into the donut and the grip should be better. Also loreal elnett the sh!z out of it after Smiley winking

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

There are different sizes of doughnut too, maybe a smaller one would be better for coverage?

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I have a cheap one from Primark as I've found all others either too big or too small. I put my hair in a low pony tail (roughly straightened but I always do it clean with no products) I spread my hair over the doughnut and put another bobble round it. Then move my hair to cover all the gaps. If there is any hair sticking out the bobble i move it all down and tuck it under. I don't like clips/grips and don't use them as my hair is too thin. Oh and plenty of hairspray (but only on the bun) I've even worn it for work and it stayed covered and in place for a whole shift of running around.

Surprised as it was £1 and the best hair thing I've bought and I really never thought it would work as my hair is thin. Also can't do the day old hair. Mine looks terrible after a few hours never mind a day!!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am worried this is what would happen to me! Like other people have suggested maybe you need to find a smaller bun and the other type of pins.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry l meant smaller donut!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics