Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Hair dye patch test **WARNING!!**

14 of February of 2015 at 13:43 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

I just wanted to put it out there that you MUST do this.

This week my OH decided he wanted to experiment covering his greys, and bought a hair dye. He was going just put it on, but decided to do a patch test on his arm, and within a few hours it had swelled up. Its was a big red, sore, angry and swollen welt, and days later it still is.

Obviously he didnt use the dye, and I doubt he will ever use any ever again. But its not worth thinking about what might have happened if he'd not done the test.

I have started dying my hair, and have swapped brands to find the right colour for my hair - and been so tempted to not test each time - but I do and will now every time.

So please make sure you're doing this test ladies!!!

13 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 15 of February of 2015 at 10:06
  • ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Bloody hell. I never do a patch test but this has taught me a lesson! Glad he's (relatively) ok.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Yipes! I'm like Peanut - pretty much never do a patch test. Will definitely remember from now on! Hope your OH's arm is better soon.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

That's food for thought, l have lots of allergies but never do the patch test

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

No, I never do either. I've been dyeing and bleaching my hair for years without ever testing first! But last time I got it coloured was at a salon, and they did one. Same for my eyelashes.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

That is really bad. I thought they were required to by law? Mine were insistent I came in 24hrs before my appointment for it.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Hope your OH is OK schwelley. I saw a woman on the news the other day who had her hair done at a salon ready for her wedding, her scalp was burning for a couple of weeks at least, she lost a lot of hair, had to wear a wig on her wedding day and take a lot of drugs just to get through the day. Poor thing. I've never dyed my hair but I would never have worried about a patch test, when the inevitable greys start creeping in I'll make sure I patch test now!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, that's the problem ID, its not regulated, neither the stuff they use or the people doing it. Very concerning

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I've been thinking this for a while about MUAs, it seems like we're seeing an increasing number of "my makeup trial was a disaster" posts on WP, and I'm pretty sure anyone can just buy some products and set up a website calling themselves an MUA. There are qualifications you can take, but it isn't regulated. Unfortunately tattooing is very similar, you only need hygiene certification to set yourself up as a tattooist - nothing to verify your skills.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Yep, very true. Same with a lot of the botox etc, I find it terrifying that you can just shove needles in peoples faces! Definitely worth doing your research

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I have to admit I never bother with a patch test, and I have been dying my hair for years with various brands. I know I should.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Bless your boy for wanting to cover his greys! Smiley smile

What I never understand about the patch test is that you have to mix the dye immediately before using it don't you? Am I bring stupid!?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Yep, really important.

So many people say that they've used a product lots of times before and know they can use it but what can happen is that your body doesn't actually like it, tolerates it or fights the reaction off a number of times but one time you'll use it your body will pretty much go ballistic and react terribly.

When I ran a beauty salon I used to make people have patch tests and insisted on it, some people would get a bit stroppy about it but I always thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics