Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsHD2015
Beginner June 2015

Hair dying advice? Brunette to blonde

MrsHD2015, 27 of April of 2014 at 14:21 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Hi everyone

I have had lots of different hair colours over the years but currently the dye has grown out and my hair is back to it's natural colour. The first time i dyed my hair I went blonde and used pre lightener but this made it yellow.

Do you think I could just do a light blonde dye over my natural colour? I'm currently dark blonde to light brown colour! I want to be a few shades darker than bleached blonde

Any advice would be great

11 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 2 of May of 2014 at 17:56
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

If you are a darker shade, you won't be able to go lighter without bleach. A light blonde die wouldn't turn out that colour. I'd go to a hairdresser who will be able to do it properly for you!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Don't do it! I died my hair blonde about 6 years ago and it completely ruined my hair. It's so dry and horrible - it's never been the same since.

If you really do want to do it though, I'd suggest highlighting gradually. It *should* be kinder on your hair doing it this way.

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I went from black to brown to blonde using a stripping kit, 2 in fact. Then stuck a blonde highlighting kit on then a actual blonde dye. Done over a period of 3 months to let my hair 'settle'.

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To even out the yellow I was given a purple shampoo made by fudge. I'm now a mix of platinum blonde and 'regular' blonde because of that stuff haha!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

It's not the sort of thing to be done at home in my cabbage. Dark to blonde is a hairdresser job for sure.

I once tried to strip my black hair of dye with 'colour b4' my hair went orange in most places and a sort of dirty brown in the rest. I had to send mrmini to the all night tesco to buy emergency dye.

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've used 'colour b4' and it went orange haha, that's when I chucked on jerome Russell Bblonde maximum lift blonding kit!

• MrsHD2015
    Beginner June 2015
    MrsHD2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the adivce, think I am going to hold off until after the wedding just in case! might go a bit darker in fact, maybe a chocolate brown for the wedding then strip it all out and go blonde afterwards! xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Get a hairdresser to put some high and low lights in. That'd look nice. X

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I tried to do mine at home and it went a brassy gingery light brown. Awful. I go to the hairdressers now and she does me a nice subtle ombre which means i can be blonde but still go ages without having to have my roots touched up!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Don't DIY if you're going lighter. It's always obvious when it's not a proper salon job and you may well go orange. I went from dark reddish brown to blonde last summer although it took a couple of treatments to get the colour right. Because my hair grows very quickly and is naturally quite dark, my stylist has done a clever thing with lowlights so that when my roots are growing through, they're much less obvious.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

This is my before and after btw. I can't imagine I would have been able to get the blonde looking like this with a home dye kit, and I've been dying my hair myself for 15 years!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thoughts exactly. A friend of mine tried to do it herself and the results were unfortunate! A big mix of colours / shades across her head of blonde, ginger and brown. She had to pay a hairdresser to sort her hair out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics