Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner

Hair & Make Up - Extortionate!

infinity2018, 21 of November of 2017 at 17:44 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi everyone! I'm just looking into booking someone to do my hair and make up and I am astounded at the amount people charge.

I understand that companies charge extra as soon as you mention the "w" word but seriously - how can a stylist justify charging £20 for a prom up-do but £60 for a wedding up-do (not including a trial at £45!). And then how can they charge £20 for prom make up but £50 for wedding day make up? And it can't be because it lasts longer because they say they use the same make up!

I'm just so confused and would like clarification from someone "in the know"!

Thank you in advance lovely people x

3 replies

Latest activity by Billie06, 4 of July of 2018 at 13:03
  • C
    Beginner January 2018
    Coopertobe ·
    • Hide content

Isn't it insane! It's not fair that when you mention "bridal" they up the price! I couldn't find anyone to do hair and make up as a package so I've had to get a hair dresser as well. Makeup alone is £105 including a trial and hair is £50 and then £50-80 on the day depending on the style. The only reason I'm going ahead with my MUA is because she is amazing but I won't be washing my face for a week! It's day light robbery Smiley sad x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Hmm... I'm a wedding photographer so have no vested interests here! As with most "artistic" professions there is a huge variation in skill between providers.

A top quality HMUA who does weddings is unlikely to be doing proms at £20 a head. Even £50 is cheap for a real HMUA for weddings.

There is a big difference between the basic quality ones who put makeup on you and the top quality ones who create your most beautiful self using makeup.

If I were getting married my budget for HMUA would be around £300 for bride & 2 BM's... and that wouldn't even get the most popular ones!

I consider the MUA to be a key wedding supplier - your choice affects your entire day and the photographs you have to look at for the rest of your life! I'd rather downgrade my venue or ditch other items like favours or a chocolate fountain to get the best photographer and MUA I could afford.

• I
    Beginner
    infinity2018 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your replies ?

I guess everyone's priorities are different and I just didn't expect their to be such a large divide between "normal" make up and "bridal" make up.

Maybe I need to rethink!

Have a great day ?

• B
    Beginner November 2018
    Billie06 ·
    • Hide content

Hey

I'm a makeup artist and do offer cheaper alternatives (www.muabillie.com and @muabillie)

However, to be honest the reason why it's more for SOME of the MUAs is because of the time and time costs.

With prom make up, although you work to perfection, it's not the hugest event of your life. A wedding on the other hand requires a lot more attention to detail, checking of the skin type - so much more goes into bridal makeup than prom makeup.

I hope that's cleared up and answered a few of your questions?

Good luck all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics