Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner April 2019

Hair & Makeup Advice

RomanticYellowConfetti938, 6 of December of 2017 at 16:01 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi everyone

I've been researching hair and makeup artists for the big day and have realised just how expensive they are!

I'm having 4 (potentially 5) bridesmaids and the average cost of getting their hair and makeup done is around £75-£100 per person. I always thought it was custom for the bride and groom to pay for the hair and makeup but my partners friends (female) all think this is rubbish and they should pay for their own.

Should I pay or should they pay for themselves? When I was bridesmaid for my friend she paid for my hair but I did the whole bridal party makeup so she didnt have to pay for that.

Any advice would be a great help! Smiley smile

7 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveYellowConfetti910, 12 of December of 2017 at 18:41
  • R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

It really depends on your budget, it's a lot of money! I'd offer to pay hair and not makeup, if they want, they can pay themselves. Don't feel under obligation. Paying for dresses and hair and possibly accessories and a gift is plenty.

• S
    Beginner July 2019
    SunnyOrangeBridesmaid60536 ·
    • Hide content

Hello, it's really nice that you want to pay, because In my friend wedding, me as bridesmaid I had to pay for everything, and dress and makeup and hair Smiley smile and also gift for present and girl party before. But, I thinking you should pay just for dresses. Make up and hair is personal thing. Smiley smile
    have a wonderful day!
  • F
    Savvy August 2019
    Fairy5 ·
    • Hide content

I've had my makeup and hair paid for at the 4 weddings I was bridesmaid at but I've often paid for my own hair ir makeup trial because not everyone is happy with the same makeup. It is ultimately down to you though. I am having the same thing as you, finding HMUA are so so expensive it's almost making me wonder if I should cut my BM'd down to 2 from 4. I would perhaps either pay but they have to pay for their trial and own shoes or just pay for hair or the makeup and they pay for the other. The only danger of saying that should pay for their own makeup is you might get one that says they want to do their own. In theory I have no issue with that but I'd want everyone to have similar makeup for the photos and some people do like a bit more coverage lol!

• T
    Beginner July 2018
    TAM-OLA2018 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

nowadays weddings are much different from how it used to be in the past where the brides and grooms use to pay for everything. If you can’t afford to pay for their hair and makeup then kindly ask that they pay for it. I’m getting married next year and my bridesmaids are paying for everything without any complaints. They all understand how expensive weddings are and some of them even pitched in and helped pay for other things as well. It’s up to you and the kind of bridesmaids you have. PS. All my bridesmaids are my sisters and best friends and we’ve known each other all our lives. It may be different depending on the relationship you have with them.

• F
    Beginner November 2018
    Fireworkandfairylightwedding ·
    • Hide content

I only have one bridesmaid, my sister, because I knew that I wouldn’t have been able to afford to play for anymore than this!

Because I have kept it just as my sister, I am paying for her dress, hair and makeup (not her trial) and her hotel room, plus a very small gift (maybe a key ring or personalised mug). She isn’t in a great financial position, so this is why we’e covering her and her partners accommodation. I will be asking her to buy her own shoes and any accessories though.

• R
    Beginner April 2019
    RomanticYellowConfetti938 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! It’s a bit of a minefield!

I think it is fair that they contribute and I’m sure they wouldn’t mind, they’re all great friends.

My only concern is that my 5th bridesmaid has just confirmed she’s coming which is amazing but she’s flying in from Australia just for the wedding so not sure it’s fair to then ask her to pay for her makeup etc!

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

We are running short on money so my maids have paid for their dresses (they had already offered) and hopefully shoes, but I am planning to pay for hair and makeup. There is no accommodation planned for the night before, again down to money and my ladies are local, so really it depends on your plans.

• E
    Beginner August 2019
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti910 ·
    • Hide content

Gosh I think only you know your bridesmaids and how they would react to paying for their own. I absolutely think it's fine for them to do their own, but you should bear in mind that if I was your bridesmaid and you said that to me, I would never in a million years pay for someone to do my makeup, may be hair but highly unlikely. It is just not in my DNA. And I do like nice make up and hair but I would do my own.

I personally feel that if you want a 'look' that is specific to your wedding I think you have to pay for it. It seems highly unreasonable to me to expect people to do what you want for your day at their own expense. Personally I hate the whole lets all look the same thing and I like to see everyones own true self so may be that is clouding my judgement, so just check you don't have any bridesmaids like me before you suggest they pay for / do their own!

Good luck! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics