Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner September 2012

Hair / make-up person has cancelled! What are my rights?

Ethne, 16 of August of 2012 at 14:35 Posted on Planning 0 25

Hi ladies!

First forum post here, though I've been 'lurking' for a few months. Only now has something come up that I could do with some advice about (and I need to vent)!

I booked a mobile hair/make-up artist back in April, for my wedding on 1st Sept this year. When I booked her I asked if there would be a contract or anything and she said that she hadn't needed a contract in the 5 years she had been doing this and she had never let a bride down yet - I was happy with the photos on her website and the testimonials from other brides so I went ahead and booked her. Cost for hair/make-up with false lashes, plus a trial was £230. £100 to be paid on the day of the trial and the rest on the wedding day.

I had my trial last week and paid her £100 the following day by bank transfer.

Tuesday night, she emailed me saying that a date for an operation she had been waiting for had come up and she was very sorry but it coincided with the date of my wedding so she would have to cancel. She was very apologetic in her mail but did not mention refunding any money at all. I emailed her back asking about it. No reply. (And her messages go straight to her iPhone - she had always responded quickly before). I have emailed her again today, stating that I appreciated the time she had spent on my trial, but as she was now unable to fulfill the original service I would really like at least 75% of my deposit back.

No reply yet and I'm not holding my breath... Am I being unreasonable expecting this money back seeing as she has cancelled on me? Yes, I got a hair/make-up trial off her, but I'm back to square 1 now, just £100 down, and if she isn't going to be doing my wedding hair now, it's not really a trial is it?? (Luckily my cousins wife is a hairdresser and has offered to help out - for a fee of course, they're saving for a house deposit so I would never ask her to do it for free. Wish I'd just asked her in the first place but didn't think about it!!) Money is very tight at the moment and I don't have £100 spare to just throw away! If she refuses to get back to me (SO unprofessional not responding to emails! Grrr....!), does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to escalate the situation?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

25 replies

Latest activity by Red Baroness, 28 of August of 2012 at 12:38
  • Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

If they cancel on you, then they should refund any monies paid. All of them.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Does she list a phone number on her website? If she's cancelled on you then she should offer a full refund really, including money for a trial. I'm a bit of a pessimist and think it sounds odd that straight after you transfer her your money she cancels and then goes incomunnicado. Did she come to you for your trial? Or did you go to her place?

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

I dont know legally where you stand but these people often work on word of mouth so it would be in her best interest to keep you on side. Have you tried actually ringing her?

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

I might be a soft touch but I wouldn't expect money back for the trial as she did fulfil that commitment. You now know that you like that style and could ask someone else to do it. As irritating as it is that she has had to cancel on you it sounds like she has been very apologetic about it and you should focus your energies on finding someone knew rather than on someting that cannot be changed.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

You need to call her.

As Chris said, if she cancels you are due a full refund. I wouldn't accept 75%.

But, as Vintage said - seems a but suspect to me. Do you have an address?

• E
    Beginner September 2012
    Ethne ·
    • Hide content

She came to me for the trial. There is a phone number available, and after a bit of googling I've found her address. Before phoning her I wanted a general consensus of whether I was being out of order or not expecting this money back! Also I hate hate HATE confrontation, more than happy to conduct all my dealings through the internet/email ;-)

I'll give her until tomorrow morning to give her more of a chance to reply and then phone. But yes, the sudden vanishing has also made me particularly suspicious - even if she's expecting that payment to cover that trial, she could at least respond to me to tell me as such, you know?

Thanks all!

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Honestly legally I wouldn't recommend going through court or anything. A small claims court (which this would go to because it is for a "small" sum) charges an issue fee. You don't get your legal costs back at the end (they don't have the powers to make that kind of order) and it will end up costing you more to issue etc or even get legal advice about it.

Perhaps you can suggest you will be seeking legal advice if you don't hear back from her within 10 days. Sometimes that is scary enough to make people respond.

The word of mouth comment is very true.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whatever you do don't say that to her. You've already given her carte blanche to keep £25 of your £100 which she really isn't entitled to.

Agree that you probably can't actually do anything about it as it costs money to go to small claims but if she doesn't respond I would definitely send a letter (not an email) recorded delivery stating that as she was the party who cancelled the booking you expect a refund of monies paid. Say you have contacted a solicitor and will take further action if she does not comply.

Obviously you're not going to actually instruct a solicitor but there's no harm in scaring her a bit if she doesn't get back to you.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I'm not surprised you're angry, I'd be livid.

You say you don't like confrontation but I'd say that's the case with most people and most probably why she emailed you rather than phoning (besides, what if you didn't check your email?!). Therefore, I'd be inclined to call her - she won't answer your call but it'll give you the opportunity to leave her a message and she will assume you're prepared to confront her... It might be enough to convince her to give you a full refund. This is definitely where I'd start.

I'd be demanding a full refund too. Sure it's a trial of the kind of hairstyle you'd like but it's HER you are trailing too...

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

In 13 Years I've only ever had to cancel one wedding after a practice. I refunded her 100% of the practice fee as it was me who cancelled her not me. All the mua's I know (I know plenty) would do the same as it's only fair! Juliet

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I know nothing about legal stuff, but if a contract hasn't been signed, im not sure she is legally obliged to refund you your money? I'm sure a legal bod will come along soon (I would maybe edit your title to ask for some legal info), but in my opinion, if a contract hasn't been signed I'm not sure what you can do.

She should refund your money, from a moral point of view, and I'm sure if you confront her on the phone (or face to face?), she will eventually cave.

Could you speak to your local Citizens Advice? They will be able to advise what to do.

Sorry this has happened to you though, it's massively pants.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you get your clients to sign contracts Juliet?

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

This is awful! So unprofessional. She should be apologising profusely for letting you down and going out of her way to give you your money back, not ignoring your messages. So much of wedding supplier booking is done on trust and goodwill, she is just taking advantage...

I would be fuming, but it's best not to let that come across if you do get to speak to her. She is more likely to refund you if you talk to her reasonably.

Also it should be 100% refund as what good is that trial to you now? Plus you are going to have to pay for another trial with someone else.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Going down a slightly different route,did she give you the actual date for her op? Sometimes, and this has happened to me recently, if you are waiting for an op or procedure, they give you a date but then if they get a cancellation they bring it forward and if you don't take it, you have to go to the back of the queue again. In my case, I was told 3 weeks waiting time and they rang me the following day to say I had to go in the day after that. There may be a chance that she's already in hospital and unaware that you are trying to contact her.

On the other hand, IF I ever had to cancel someone's wedding for illness which, thank God, has never happened, personally I would have offered the refund at the time of letting the person know rather than leave them wondering if they were going to get their money back. I do get customers to sign a contract agreeing to T & C's but in the case of suppliers who don't, they have still broken a verbal contract so it's not really a professional way to act. As someone already said, granted she did do the trial but you will incur costs having to have another unless you are prepared to risk booking someone without so this renders the trial pretty much useless really.

If she lives local, I would pop round and see if you can see her and if she is in hospital, then someone at home will be able to update you on the situation.

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

I ALWAYS have a contract with clients, it protects both parties. In mine it says that if I have to cancel for illness/bereavement etc a full refund of any money will be made and depending on the situation I will help to find an adequate replacement.

I think a contract is really important with any supplier for exactly these sort of situations. I would definitely call her or visit to see what the deal is Rainbow Florist could be right she might already be in hospital. If not you need to confront her as she has behaved very unprofessionally and if she has any sense she will know that word of mouth advertising is the strongest and she won't want an unhappy client.

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

Agreed. Say I broke my leg the week before a clients wedding I would still refund what had been paid in full even though I would of done the engagement shoot already and a number of hours work with consultation and venue visit. Thats why I have my insurance to cover any loss of earnings if such an occasion should arise.

In regards to the hair and make up lady the trial was only part of the product that was agreed when the OP paid the £100 so she really should offering at least some refund if not more for the inconvenience of cancelling so close to the wedding.

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

When I've done a practice I get the bride to sign 2 copies , one for me and one for them. It confirms all the booking details are correct but also that if they cancel before the wedding that deposit is non refundable. The t&c's on my website state that if I can't make a wedding due to illness I'll try to find a suitable replacement mua but if I can't I will refund all money previously paid to me by the bride. Juliet

• E
    Beginner September 2012
    Ethne ·
    • Hide content

2 weeks of trying to phone her - rings out then goes to voicemail, and several more emails sent. I've just found her on Facebook and she's currently IN A 5* HOTEL IN EGYPT!!!!!!! LIVID!! Messaged her through FB, saying I hope she's having a lovely holiday and can she please arrange a refund by the end of the week or I will be taking it further. I also threated court action in a previous email.

AAARRGGHH!!!!!

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OH MY GOD! That is awful behaviour.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

No more Mrs Soft touch! I'm glad, you were being far too forgiving earlier, you should be livid!

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Name and shame her on here so when she's Googled the correct feedback shows!!

• E
    Beginner September 2012
    Ethne ·
    • Hide content

I'm wary of naming and shaming quite yet - she has 4 days to return and see if she DOES go into hospital. If anyone is looking for a hair/make-up person in the Surrey/Hampshire area though and wants to know the name so as to know to avoid her feel free to PM me though.

I can't tell if this is setting me more on edge or if it's a nice distraction away from the rest of the wedding malarky! (4 days!! Eeeek!!!!)

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't care if she is having an operation, fact of the matter is that she's ignoring all your contact and has f***ed off abroad with your money knowing full well she's dropped you in it.

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed. If this is her full time job as well its a fairly odd time to go on holiday as its peak season at the moment for weddings, so she may of done this to other people. On the other hand that assumption could be completely wrong ?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's dreadful!

I also think she should refund 100% of the cost. After all, the trial is rendered pointless now that she's cancelled on you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics