Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner September 2010

hair trial failed miserably and now stuck for ideas :(

JackieS, 6 June, 2010 at 10:53 Posted on Planning 0 19

I had my hair trial the other day and basically it was abit of a washout. I really wanted it down and long loose waves but despite my hairdresser setting it, then curling it and usually practically every hair product he thought appropriate, within 2hrs it had fallen out and looked like I hadn't bothered, which isn't veen enough time to get home, get ready and get through the ceremony and photos. I know my hair never really holds curls well so we were hoping that by setting it first that would help, but clearly not. So now I'm stuck as to what to do with my hair now curls are out of the question.

It has to be down (I always have it up for work so want something different), and I don't like half/half

Any suggestions?

TIA ?

19 replies

Latest activity by debmci, 6 June, 2010 at 23:54
  • Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

I know you said you dont like it half/half...but would you not try it? i HATE my hair up but can manage half/half.

I suppose you dont want it straight as its too 'normal'?

Hmmm i dunno what to suggest Smiley sad

x

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

I really hate half and half, I have quite thin hair and not much of it, so half and half just looks really odd, plus i don't like my ears lol

I did think about straight butlike you said it abit "normal" and I wanted something abit different as if I ever have it down usually its always straight..,...

• nayso
    Beginner May 2011
    nayso ·
    • Hide content

What style is your wedding? Is it formal or informal?

This may help dictate how you should have your hair.

Also, would you consider getting extensions... even if its the clip in ones... willl give you more volume and are easily curled.
    A good hairdresser will make it look like you've just had a gorgeous blow dry to avoid the "fake" look.

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

The wedding is pretty informal (registry office and then straight into evening at local sports club) but we're still having traditional aspects like speeches, cake, first dance and I have a wedding dress....

TBH the budget doesn't stretch to anything like that Smiley sad

• nayso
    Beginner May 2011
    nayso ·
    • Hide content

You should have a wee look into it. I've known a few people to get them online for dirt cheap prices.

Are you wearing a veil or tiara?

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

I have a diamonte hairband thing Smiley smile

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I originally wanted my hair down but like you had a disaster at my first trial. My hair was always up as well so wanted something different for my wedding but it wasn't going to happen and I loved the result in the end.

I had my hair set in curls and then the curls were pinned up and although I had an 'up do' it was nothing like my normal style.

Having my hair up was just as well because my wedding day was quite windy and if I'd had my hair down it would have been a disaster before I got to the ceremony. https://www.youtube.com/user/stevozx6 This shows what I mean. So if you have your hair down you need to be ready to sort it out at any moment and obviously if it's windy you might not be able to have photos outside because your hair will be going everywhere. My guests were moaning about the outside pics because their hair was getting messed up and in the end I told the photographer to stop all further pics of the guests because the moaning was driving me mad!

Try a half up half down and you might be really surprised. x

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

Purffect Gems - thanks for that - I hadn't really thought about it being windy lol Can I just ask abotu how you felt around your chest (stupid question I know) but I thought that maybe I'd feel abit "naked" with a strapless dress and hair up (I know that probably seems daft!)

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I've always really liked strapless tops/dresses but don't often wear them now because I have massive boobs and find strapless bras mega uncomfortable. I would have felt naked without a necklace on and even if other people don't wear a necklace I always notice the amount of naked skin.

Hair up with a strapless dress wasn't anything I had even considered but maybe because I used to wear strapless things all the time a few years ago.

When I'm advising customers on their jewellery I ask what they are doing with their hair because if it's really long and say curly then sometimes less is more when it comes to accessories because you don't want to have too much going on around the shoulders so maybe if you have your hair up/half up you could consider different jewellery so you don't feel as bare?

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

I was just planning on wearing a necklace that H2B bought me (looks better in real life lol)

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

What is your dress like? I'd say have another hair trial and see how you feel with dress, jewellery and overall look and just take it from there. I was honestly surprised I liked my hair up so hopefully the same will happen to you. I never once thought about fixing my hair all day and that was fab.

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

PurrfectGems - I'm wearing Andie by Maggie Sottero - I have scheduled by next trial for the same day as my dress fitting so hopefully that should give me some idea Smiley smile Thanks for your help Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner
    LauraOCallaghan ·
    • Hide content

First Things First!! dont panic. i was a hairdresser and i have witnessed many hairdressers delivering a perfect wedding hair style for it only to drop out a couple of hours later!! there isnt much you can do about that,

however....

have you considered a soft perm? its perfect if you want really loose curls! you have to ask for a really really soft perm and show pictures of what you want your hair like. either that you could get ready made curly hair extensions. if it is wet, humid or raining your hair is bound to drop out as soon as it is curled. no amount of product or hairspray will give you a soft and elegant look with an extreme amount of hold!

hope this helps.. im planning to have my hair down and barrel curled but im getting curled hair extensions to thicken and help hold the curl. try big rollers the night before (i.e damped your hair, get some curlers and sleep in them, roll hair up in curlers and take them out in the morning. a good quality hairspray might work wonders) try different gair sprays out as well. Elnette is apparently good for soft and natural and easily brushed out!

hope this is beneficial to you hun!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is lovely and I've just had a thought. If your hair is long enough how about a side do because that would echo the design of the dress where it sweeps to the side. I think if it was pulled to the side somehow it would look really romantic which would suit the dress very well.

I know you already have a hairband so these sort of ideas would work well with a band but I have this which if you went for a side design would be nice.

x

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

Oohh I hadn't thought of a side do! I'll go and have a look! Thanks!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi, I have same problem - my hair is poker straight and the hairdresser tried everything short of a perm to curl it. The tighest curls become lank waves within 2 hrs with me... She eventually curled it by putting straighteners on hottest setting and pulling as hard as she could then using lots of hairspray. Afterwards it took 2 hours to comb through because of the hairspray and my scalp was in agony but I won't do that for the wedding as I don't want my hair to be stiff with hairspray, but what it looked like next day was just right so maybe I'll do my hair the night before and in the morning she'll just tidy it !

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried rag rolling it makes a really tight curl that takes ages to drop out. there are lots of articles and videoes if you google how to curl hair with rags

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I think I'm going to give up with curly and find something else lol

I've found a potential updo and will have a chat to my hairdresser and see what he thinks

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love your hair!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics