Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner May 2022 Málaga

Hair up or down?

Emma, 10 of April of 2022 at 21:41 Posted on Planning 0 10
How do you decide whether to have your hair up or down?? My wedding is 5 weeks away and I’m still not sure! My dress is backless and I think it would look beautiful to show that off … but I’m more used to having my hair down and think I look better with it down than up! But should I go for something different on my wedding day?

Was it an easy decision for everyone else?? I’m worried I’ll make the wrong choice!

10 replies

Latest activity by Millie, 1 of July of 2022 at 14:38
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    For me was an easy choice of up! Mainly because I didn't want to get too hot with hair down and I wanted it out the way but an up style will also hold all day. I wear mine down mostly so thought it would also be different and shows off my makeup and face better. I have seen so many friends with down and curls but they have dropped out half way through the day from heat and people hugging you constantly which flatens your hair. For me the style of dress you have I would defo say an up do and show of the back. Have you had a trial with your hair person? Maybe look on Pinterest for hairstyles with backless dreas for some inspiration

• A
    Dedicated July 2022 Co Londonderry
    Ali312 ·
    • Hide content
    I had a trial. I initially wanted it down and wavy, but the hairdresser said that because of how straight my hair is it will be difficult, especially if it's not a dry day. So it was an easy decision to go with up Smiley smile
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    Im going half up half down. My hair looks better down than up and my FH prefers it down too. My dress has a beautiful back that I want to show so I’ve had my hair cut to just longer than shoulder (a few inches off where it was) - should get best of both worlds this way. I have straight hair and the curls/waves done at my trial dropped a bit over the day but not to the point that I wasn’t still happy with them! I think you need to feel comfortable and personally, that involves keeping some hair down but it’s so personal!
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve got my trial in 2 weeks and I’m planning to ask for something like this as I have some detail on the back of the dress that I would like to show off but my hair is quite thin so not sure it will work! I guess the hairdresser can work that out. I had mine highlighted for the first time in 5 years yesterday so I’m preparing for the big day slowly. Hair up or down? 1

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

I'm going half up/half down! I definitely feel more myself with my hair down (I only wear my hair up when I'm exercising haha) and I really think it's important to feel like you on your wedding day Smiley smile

The half up decision came from the fact that my ceremony is going to be outside in the summer, so hopefully it'll stop too much hair being able to get in my face if it's a bit windy and keep me a little bit cooler too. A lot of outdoor wedding advice says go with your hair up, but I know I'll just look back on pictures and not feel like me so that decided it for me.

If your dress is backless and you wanted to show it off, could you go for a sideswept look so you still have it down but the back is visible? (JLO for inspo: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffpost.com%2Fentry%2Fbeyonce-jennifer-lopez-side-swept-hair_n_2624776&psig=AOvVaw02LeWvbxpGgdqflU2TZ6Ks&ust=1649759406508000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAoQjRxqFwoTCKjI_-zmi_cCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD)

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I had mine up because it tends to get untidy very easily - I also thought it would keep the back of my neck cool if it was hot and wouldn't go frizzy if it was damp. And we had fine misting rain on my way into the ceremony and then muggy warm weather after, so it was a good choice on both counts!

I think from a practicality viewpoint an updo makes sense, as well as showing off the back of your dress, but if you don't feel comfortable with it up then stick to what makes you feel good. Can you ask the hairdresser for a trial updo and wear it around the house for a few hours to see how it feels?

• Stephanie
    Savvy June 2022 South West London
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content

My dress has a statement back and I'm having mine up as I so rarely do so it will seem more like an occasion. I also have a terrible habit of playing with my hair constantly so didn't want loads of the photos ruined by that.

• Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    I think you should have a trial and see what you like. You could do half up half down or maybe have it styled over one shoulder to show the back of the dress.
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    I would suggest a hair trial to see what style you would prefer. I am personally having my hair down as it makes me more comfortable but will be styling it so it’s out of my face. Nothing worse than taking photographs and a gust of wind blows your hair across your face!
  • M
    Beginner September 2022 East London
    Millie ·
    • Hide content

I was determined to have mine down - at the trial we tested it down (which looked okay...) and up (which looked much better!). My hair is super straight and it hasn't got a lot of volume, so the hair down on me looked flat. It means I won't need to keep fiddling with it and moving it throughout the day, or worrying that the curls have fallen, etc.

I kept it up all day that day and then in the evening I took it out (lots of bobby pins) and for once in my life my hair was massive - so much volume! So now I'm going to have it up all day, then let it loose after dinner Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics