Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner February 2014

Hair up or down?

Wifeytobe88, 14 of February of 2014 at 12:06 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi everyone, what are you all doing with your hair on your wedding day - up or down (or half up?!)? And why?

I'm having mine up, I don't have a specific pic so can't do a flash but it's sort of your average bridal up do really, curly but pinned up softly, with a bit of height at the back. I wasn't 100% happy with it on my trial but unfortunately I don't have a definite pic in my head of what I want so it makes it hard! My wedding is a week tomorrow and I've allowed extra time for the hairdresser, who in fairness is very experienced so I'm sure she'll get it right on the day!

I chose to have it up because I ALWAYS wear my hair down, for nights out etc, and usually straight as it's so think it takes ages to curl. So I wanted to look different to how I normally do, plus I think up works better with a veil (only my opinion) and I like the idea of having it up and out of the way for the whole day.

15 replies

Latest activity by IGB2B, 15 of February of 2014 at 10:14
  • *flamingo*
    Beginner June 2014
    *flamingo* ·
    • Hide content

I don't know!! This is maybe the only thing I'm stressing about haha! My hair is just (really just) past my shoulders and straight as a rod and I can't decide what to dooo! On a normal day I'll have my hair down but I like curling it a bit and having a half up do, but I don't know if that's too plain/boring?! I'm not having a veil, just some flowers in my hair so I don't need to worry about that. thesmallthingsblog.com has some really nice styles I've been trying on myself but I just can't decide! My friend is going to do my hair and we're doing a trial-run in March so hopefully I'll make up my mind then!

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

I'll definitely be going for an up do. It means it will stay in place all day without me having to worry about it and I like to have my hair up for special occasions. I also think if I was wearing a veil it would work better because the veil would have something to cling to.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I waNt to have all of mine up. One because i feel lovely when my hair is up, two i feel i look prettier with it up, & three i always wear my hair down day to day & on nights out. I havent had a trial yet though. Excited for that!

• millielovesroses
    Beginner March 2014
    millielovesroses ·
    • Hide content

Half up and half down for me. Need the top bit up to give me a bit of height and to get the hair off my face, then the back down in loose curls. My hairs naturally curly and I love it x

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

This is how I want mine because I love the double plait and curls - so different to how I normally have my hair ?

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

I want it down but my dress has lovely lace on the shoulders so wanted to show that off as well! Everyone says I should go for a side pony or something similar (I also have a birdcage veil), but I always wanted my hair down in soft curls for my wedding (I prefer it that way). So I think I'll decide at the trial Smiley smile

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Half up. I don't want it completely down as that's what I always wear my hair like, and I also don't want it up because that just isn't me.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I had mine up, when it was longer it tended to be up anyway but it kept it out of my face too! It was like a curly bun.

I think you have to consider your dress too, iff you've got a high necked dress for example wouldn't it be better to have your hair up so it's not covering up all the detail.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I will be having mine down. I always wear it down, I feel really self conscious with it up.

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

Half up, I can't have all down, my garland and veil won't sit well otherwise.

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love this, adding to my wedding board on Pinterest immediately!! Xx

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

I will be wearing mine up, on a day to day basis I wear it up, and when I go out it's usually down and straightened (although is always wavey and everywhere by the end of the night lol) but I don't wear it up in the way I want it. I.e wave yams loosely pinned etc. so will be different that me ever before. Mostly want it up because of this but also because my dress has a blingy halterneck so think it will look better up.

just need to decide if I want it pinned at the back or at the side! Why are there more decisions at every turn, it's worse than a trip to subway lol!! :-) xx

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

I will be wearing mine up, on a day to day basis I wear it up, and when I go out it's usually down and straightened (although is always wavey and everywhere by the end of the night lol) but I don't wear it up in the way I want it. I.e wave yams loosely pinned etc. so will be different that me ever before. Mostly want it up because of this but also because my dress has a blingy halterneck so think it will look better up.

just need to decide if I want it pinned at the back or at the side! Why are there more decisions at every turn, it's worse than a trip to subway lol!! :-) xx

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit torn. I always have my hair down as I hate my chin in profile and I have quite a slopey nose. But... My dress looks better with it up. I find it annoying as my bridesmaids just say I should have it up but they are all gorgeous and don't have chin issues so they don't understand the problem. I had it up when I was a bridesmaid as the bride wanted our hair up and I of course said that was fine but I didn't like it (my chin) when I saw the photos! I think I'm just going to have it down but to one side and a wavy.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I was all set on having it down, 40's Hollywood glam style as I love the style and my face is chubby so it hides the sides of my face. But my hairstylist told me that having it down would cover all the pretty parts of my dress and when she tried the down style it just didn't look right and make my little double chin look massive. She then tried a soft up style and my face looked so much better than before, I never thought I'd say that. You need to go with a style that you love and that suits your face shape and dress.

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm having mine mainly down, like Pippa Middleton's at her sister's wedding (complete with flowers in my hair). I always wear my hair down and I don't think I'd feel like 'me' if I went for an up do.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics