Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

CarolineBride
Dedicated August 2013

Hairdo / updo / down - how do you choose?

CarolineBride, 26 August, 2011 at 21:38 Posted on Planning 0 22

I've been searching wedding magazines for ages trying to get more ideas of what I want to do with my hair for the wedding, (yes I know I've still got ages to decide but I want to plan early) but most of the bridal pictures advertising dresses have their hair down.

I bought a magazine I thought was a bridal hair mag but I'd rushed and it was just one article inside and didn't really help.

What did / are you all doing?

How did you decide?

I have long brown curly hair and really don't know the best way to tame it and look stylish.

Thanks,

Caroline

22 replies

Latest activity by Bowski, 28 August, 2011 at 15:21
  • Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I always thought mine would be half up half down, but actually the dress I have my eye on just now calls for an updo. I'd say it all hangs on the dress style.

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

For me, I know it will be an updo because if I have my hair down then it drives me crazy, I get hot and flustered which I don't want to happen on the day.

However, I agree with the PP who said it depends on the style of dress you choose, I don't have my dress yet (11 sleeps til 1st appointment-eek!) but if I do end up choosing a style that is better suited to a down style, I may have to compromise and go for a half up/half down.

Just choose a selection of piccies of all different styles so long as you like them and then when you've got your dress you can narrow them down as to what you think will work best with it.

xxx

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

That's great advice, thank you x

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

What Tracey86 Said. Even though people tell me to wear my hair down I never do as it drives me mad. Did having a fleeing thought about doing this for the wedding but then thought if I did 1. it wouldnt really be me and 2. It will have driven me crazy by the time the cars arrived.

If you having profesisonal hair done then why not ask your hairdresser to try it out down then in an updo. Dont forget to take your veil and tiara if your having them x

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

I originally wanted an up do but in the end decided down as its more 'me' and i wanted to look like me on the day

• T
    Beginner October 2012
    TracieGtobe ·
    • Hide content

Im in the same position - plus I have chin length hair and all the styles I see are for lush long hair which i dont have and isnt really me Smiley sad

As for dress dictating hair style - hehe my dress has dictated my hair colour!!!! how extreme is that!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I always thought an up-do was more bridal, but OH prefers me with my hair down. I asked him what he'd prefer, and he said down. So I'm now growing my hair... OH would like me to get it cut into a short bob but I don't think it would suit my traditional dress

9 months time and I might chop it all off!

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

Intriguing Tracie - tell me more...

And as for hairstyles, I think is going to have to be one of the things I leave til a lot later to decide.

• T
    Beginner October 2012
    TracieGtobe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

hehe at the moment I have bright hot pink hair... but have brought a burgandy dress - which clashes horribly so hair will probably be changed to a chilli red colour instead.

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

Heavy hair - another factor to consider lol

And Tracie now I understand.

Who'd have thought either of those were a consideration before you started planning?!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the style of the dress and how you normally wear your hair.

I always wear my hair scraped back in a bun so will be wearing my hair down and straight on the wedding day. Although if i have a veil i might need a bit of a half up half down to hold it in.

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

Hmm I'm definitely overthinking this issue, and far too early.

I've found a wonderful dress but it's toooooo dear. I might find it cheaper online but not really sure which size I'd have to order.

But then again I might start dress shopping again and try out those shops that might have 16/18s on their sale rails.

(sigh)

I know I've got ages but I was really excited when I thought I'd found my perfect dress, but after a stern talking to I've realised it's dreamland financially.

And of course you're all right, I have to know the dress before deciding the hair.

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

I haven't even started dress shopping yet, but I know I want at least some of my hair down. I've always had this 'thing' about tattoos and wedding dresses (each to their own, but I don't want any of mine on show in my dress). I've got one on the back of my neck and would prefer it covered, plus I've got back fat to think about! Ha ha!

• RebeccaC
    RebeccaC ·
    • Hide content

I googled wedding hair and printed out pics which I liked.

To be honest it's your day so you can go with whatever you fancy!!!!!

• LeedsBride
    Beginner September 2012
    LeedsBride ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps you could experiment with different styles (both up and down), take pictures and look at them together to see which you like best. Then once you get your dress, you could stick a picture of your hairstyle on the picture of your dress (ok well maybe not... hehe)

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha that last idea made me laugh out loud. I have b?een known to enjoy cutting and sticking Blue Peter style, but that might be going too far, but never say no!

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

You have mail Caroline. ?

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

You too Bowski x

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

It's not there! ☹️

If you want to email me my email is ******@********.*** ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics