Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2011

Hairdresser/ make-up artist in Devon (Ilfracombe)

suzjackson, 2 of January of 2011 at 20:11 Posted on Planning 0 42

Hey all Im getting married on the 7th August 2011 in Ilfracombe at Tunnels Beaches, as I am from Manchester I dont know any hairdressers or make up artists in the area. Anybody on here know of anyone private or salon based who I could contact asap?

Thanks in advance

Suz

42 replies

Latest activity by AmyS1234, 3 of September of 2015 at 22:06
  • tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I am in Plymouth and would 100% recommend mine but they would charge to travel out to you. If you google alllure bridal beauty they should come up. Could you ask at your venue for recommended suppliers? I asked all the local venues for theirs, even though we had our venue sorted and got lots of supplier ideas that way.

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

Hello Suz, have you managed to find anyone yet? I also am getting married at Tunnels, on the 5th August and am from Leigh so also in need of recommendations etc...How are your plans going? Mine started off with a small informal do, but are quickly spiraling and becoming slightly more formal...just a little bit worried that this will spoil the venue.

Regards

Amy

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Hello girls....guess what? I am also getting married at Tunnels and even better I have a very good friend who lives in Ilfracombe who I will ask about hairdresser recommendations and let you all know!!

Glad to see it isn't just us who fall in love with a venue MILES away from where we live

?

• B
    Beginner
    babybay24 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so jealous that you're all getting married at the Tunnels! It's a fab location! I used to live down there and still travel 250 miles to have my hair cut! I use Kelly at Oak rooms in Barnstaple and she's brilliant. She did my wedding hair 6 years ago and still cuts it. I've got a friend who owns and runs a hairdressers in Ilfracombe but I can't remember the name of it and she's on holiday at the moment. If anyone needs any other Ilfracombe info let me know!

• B
    Beginner
    babybay24 ·
    • Hide content

I've just found out my friend's salon is called Shine hair design. It's in the High St and the phone no ****.

Hope you all have fab days! x

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, and how wonderful that we're all getting married at the same place...when do you get married? How are your plans coming along? What are you doing for entertainment? I like the idea of being able to just take the ipod, but feel that perhaps we could do with something/someone to get people up etc..It's just difficult knowing who you can trust etc..

Oh please do keep in touch it'd be brill to see how your plans etc are coming along .

Amy..xx

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

Awww thanks for the number and suggestion..I'll give her a ring and have a chat...I'm hoping to get down there around Easter time so will make an appointment to see her...thanks again

Amy

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

My friend has come back to me and says that Jo @ Golds on Ilf High St is apparently really good for wedding hair, she is going to see if she can get any more recommendations. I am so lucky to have her there as she is my eyes and ears and so if you gals need any advice just let me know!

Which menus have you all gone for? And just how many things are you keeping crossed that the weather is good enough to use the garden to get married in!!

ALL VERY EXCITING!!! ?

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

Hi again...I knew that there was to be a new venue, and that it was hopefully going to be ready for April, but didn't know about any 'big opening'..We're going down Easter weekend and are hoping that it'll either be ready by then or near enough...We're going to hopefully get ourselves sorted that weekend...ie book flowers and hair etc...haven't decided on the menu yet, but probably opt for the BBQ menu..What are you doing about entertainment? Again this is something I think we should be sorting out as soon as really..before we know it August will be here...I'm really excited about it now that I've found someone else sharing the same venue...seems a little more real now!!

Anyway, love to hear from you, as any advice on the planning would be massively appreciated.

Amy

xx

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Hi Amy!

When we went down to view last year, Jamie said that he was hoping to do an open weekend when all the refurb was done that any peeps who had booked it could come and see it but don't know if it is anything formally arranged as haven't heard anything as yet....

We were also planning to go down around Easter but not sure on the days yet, and also to do the same thing - meet with registrar, hairdressers etc. We have also block booked a B&B for our wedding weekend so are going to see the chaps there too! Also started making a list of things to check, like table plans, measurements for any hanging decorations and the timing of the walk 'down the aisle' to the music!

We are also going for BBQ menu too, but hoping we can substitute a few choices for veggie options as we have a few vegetarians coming, as for music we have a friend who is doing some live acoustic guitar sets and otherwise will have laptop/ipod DJ running!

So great to chat to other lovely peeps who are getting married at Tunnels!!

Katie xx

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my word, you've got everything figured out haven't you...the most we've done is booked the venue, our accommodation and sorted mine and the bridesmaid dresses...i would never in a million years have thought to consider timing for the walk down the aisle...I've not even considered that music yet...I'm beginning to panic a bit as i know I'll leave everything to the last minute and then start to worry...I think I'd best get a list going...do we have to meet the registrar?is that somehting advisable?If so I'd best try and tag on another day to the weekend.

We've not even seen Tunnels yet, we saw it on a website and spoke to Jamie about availability for the summer. He told us there was only 1 day left throughout the summer hols so we booked it before it got snapped up...We had every intention of going down before Christmas, but never got there...I just hope it is a lovely as it looks on the website, although how can anywhere in Devon not be...I'm really looking forward to going down at Easter.

Anyway, 'speak soon'

Amy

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Hi Amy,

It is a stunning venue, it really is. The friends we have in Ilfracombe live just up the road from there so they are keeping us posted on progress!

Jamie is a star too and the rest of the staff there seem lovely, we have only been there once, when we originally booked it last Sep.

Don't worry about all the stuff I seem to have organised, I am a perfectionist control freak and have checklists and spreadsheets for just about every aspect of my life, never mind the wedding....the way I figure is the only way I will be able to chill on the day is if I know everything is organised! But I haven't got mine or BM's dresses yet (eeeeek) and can't decide on flowers!

Have you booked the registrar for your date? I think we are going to see about meeting up and arranging the posting of the marriage notice (which has to be done a few months before the wedding date) when we are down around Easter.

Most wedding mags have a planning page which has a checklist template you can copy to suit your own needs, that is all I did....honestly it makes you feel great to get things ticked off!!

I am happy to help in any way, just ask!

Katie xx

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    suzjackson ·
    • Hide content

Hey cant believe we live so near and are getting married in such close proximity!!! bizarre. we havent really gone with a formal or informal vibe yet, apart from were using the venue to theme it so weve got a camper van, old fashioned ice cream truck etc. no hair dresser yet but a florist and photographer, can give you there details if you havent got one yet?

suz x

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    suzjackson ·
    • Hide content

Is there anyway you can get your friend to get in touch with me and maybe send a few pics of wedding hair which theyve done? thanks suz

• C
    Beginner March 2012
    cookiecakes ·
    • Hide content

Hi girls.. how amazing.. I am also getting married at Tunnels Beaches Smiley smile)) But not until March 2012!! Would really appreciate to hear how your special days went!

I got a photographer, florist, hairdresser and cake maker sorted. Music will either be band and iPod or just iPod..

I do still need a make up artist. Do you happen to have a link to a website of ur friend ?xx

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

I've got the photographer sorted, and have been told of some florists hairdressers etc, it's just so difficult to choose any living so far away..it's not as if you can just pop in and see them, it's a major task to get organised isn't it...love the camper van/ice cream truck idea...we need to think of entertainment really as i guess loads will be getting pretty much booked up...i'm torn really on what to do...on the one hand i like the idea of just the ipod, a bit of background music etc but on the otherhand, I just worry that people will be sitting there staring at one another..lol..but then again, a lot of our guests are older and i doubt would get up for a boogie so the dj/band would be wasted...dilemma's hey...i just want to get it right and need to make a decision on that asap...i'm crap at being organised, and have no idea where to begin with it all...I'm hoping that when we go down at Easter things will be a little clearer..

Amy

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

Katie, yeah we have the registrar booked...we spoke to them yesterday and were told that they haven't got the rota sorted for August yet, they said that we could leave it until we actually go down for the wedding...we will be there a week beforehand so will have chance to sort anything we need to before the day. We've done the intent to get married at our local registrar and have the certificates to send off which I'm going to do this week..at least that'll be one less thing to worry about.

We need to sort suits, flowers, cake, hair/make-up and entertainment out. I'm sure there'll be things I've not realised ad I'll be dashing around frantically worrying about it. I don't know what to do for entertainment..I like the idea of the ipod, but worry that people will just sit there staring at one another, but then if we get a dj/band, i worry that they'll be playing to themselves as a lot of our guests are oldies...lol..plus there's not as many coming as we'd have hoped..a lot of people had already booked holidays etc.

I'm loving the camper van/ice-cream truck ideas..i know this may be thick, but is it an actual working ice-cream truck or is it your transport to tunnels? I know I know, it's a random question..lol..

I'm hoping to get sorted with all these things soon, as not only do I work fulltime, but I'm at uni one day a week, and juggling work/kids/assignments/wedding preps is not an easy task...lol

Take care

Amy

xx

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Hi Suz - here is a link to the website of the hairdressers my friend recommended http://www.goldshair.co.uk/weddingintro.html

There isn't that much on there but I am sure if you contacted them they would be happy to send some other shots...

And yes Amy (and Suz too!), trying to plan everything from so far away is a bit of a nightmare sometimes....I am really struggling with florists at the moment as actually trying to find a freelancer or a wholesaler to just buy the flowers from as my Nana was a florist so is helping instruct the displays!

At least we have each other now to lean on!! Yay! ?

And cookiecakes, hopefully you can benefit from all of our expereinces!

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katie how are you? I've found someone who has recommended Goodenough Plants in Ilfracombe. I haven't spoken to them and I don't know if they'd cater for your requests but if I can find what on earth I've done with the phone number it might be worth a call?

I'm also going to give Golds a ring this weekend I think. Just have a natter with them and see what's whats. I never ever ever wear make-up and the most I do with my hair is run the straighteners through it each morning so whoever the unlucky sod is to 'do' me up is gonna have a job on their hands. I hate fuss and love simple and easy but realise I might have to make a bit more of an effort for my wedding day...lol.

Anyway, take care

Amy

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Hi Amy,

That is great thank you, I will look at them now on t'interweb! Let me know how you get on with Golds too....

This is soooooo exciting! xx

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

If you visit www.makeupadviceforum.co.uk or www.thebridalartists.co.uk there are artists on both covering the whole of the UK.

Juliet

• B
    Beginner
    babybay24 ·
    • Hide content

Hi girls

I've just found an online version of the North Devon brides magazine which I thought might be helpful. http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=z02B17EpYr60&PBID=0266e133-78ac-42e3-a494-5d99db6de4f3&skip=

• BFem
    Beginner
    BFem ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone,

I am getting married at Tunnels Beaches too!! ? September this year (2011)

I was searching for hair and make-up and came along this forum, so glad I did. I live in Cornwall so not as far away as some of you but obviously still being 2/3 hours away I have never used any hair dressers or make up artists in the area. Seems there are a few recommendations so thanks for those! Ilfracombe is quite small so I guess a lot of the hair and makeup stylists will be based in Barnstaple - still, would like to go for someone locally to Ilfracombe if I can.

Florist wise - we are going with Ilfracombe Flower Company, who tunnels recommends. Amanda is the owner - **** 481 ****************@*****.*** can't find a website address for her. So far she has been absolutely fab and prices are the same as the next.

Happy planning!

Amy L xx

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Suzie85 ·
    • Hide content

Hey Guys!

I actually live in Ilfracombe, small world!! I used to work at tunnels beaches too! Smiley smile

I am getting my hair done at Shine, Lynsey and the rest of the girls go that extra mile and so so lovely.

I am using Jo Kift for my makeup, another Ilfracombe lady, she is fab!!

But if you need any help please let me know seeing as you are so far away and its my home town!!!

x x x x x

• BFem
    Beginner
    BFem ·
    • Hide content

Hi Suzie,

Thanks for info - is Jo Kift freelance or does she have a salon? Do you have her details so I can get in touch?

xx

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Suzie85 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

She is freelance, email is ******@***.*** and pone number is ****.

Hope this helps, and like i said if you have any more questions please ask, you coming down soon to see tunnels??

Just seen your getting married in September, what date? Im getting married on the 3rd (not at tunnels tho)

x x x

• BFem
    Beginner
    BFem ·
    • Hide content

Hey, great thanks for that - I have sent her an email.

Ooo mine is the 1st! Where are you getting married?

I have already seen tunnels, once last year although coming from Cornwall we'll be 'going up' rather than coming down. Hoping to visit there and maybe stay a night somewhere in the next couple of months.....my other half hasnt even seen it yet lol. I know he'll love it though, so chilled out and beautiful it's right up his street.

Amy L xxx

• BFem
    Beginner
    BFem ·
    • Hide content

Just thought i'd post this that I stumbled onto - a list of musicians and bands in Devon http://www.gig-guide.co.uk/bl.php/wedding_bands/devon/21/2/1/1

• F
    Beginner July 2011
    fishyfoo ·
    • Hide content

Hi I have just come across this site and want to say I AM GETTING MARRIED AT TUNNELS TOOOOO!! 12TH JUNE 2011! eeek it's so near and I have lots to sort! I am so excited I have seen others on this site who is getting married at Tunnels too xxx

Kate x

• F
    Beginner July 2011
    fishyfoo ·
    • Hide content

Hey everyone!!! I am due to get married at Tunnels June 12th 2011 !!!!!!!! I will let you all know how it goes! I still have alot of things to sort out! eeek

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

Hello Kate, you must be really excited by now..really not long for you is it...have you seen the new build yet? if not are you going to? We're going down over Easter, and really looking forward to seeing it...what are you doing for entertainment? I need to sort this out asap really..I had asked OH to do it- 3 months ago, and it's still not done..bloody typical..he moans about not getting involved, that it's his wedding to, and when i ask him to do one little thing..well, need I say any more..lol..anyway, I'd love to hear all about your plans and your lovely day..

Amy..xx

• F
    Beginner July 2011
    fishyfoo ·
    • Hide content

Hi Amy, we went over easter Friday to see the new build....well It took our breath away! We couldn't be happier with what it looks like. Not quite finished yet but very close! We have a band travelling to Devon for us as we know them well. Also having family dj's to pick up after the bands set is over. Thinking about having a chill out ipod playing on the top terrace of the new build. fingers crossed for the wedding!! Anything you are having trouble with or is everything sorted for you now? x I met a lovely florist in ilfracombe called Liz over easter, her and her son Mark have so many contacts which may help you, they are lovely people!! Are you having a beachy wedding dress or a full blown traditional dress?? ...out of interest(not sure if you can msg on here and make it private)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics