Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner March 2010

Halter necks, necklaces and back jewellery

Sarahloup, 18 of August of 2009 at 15:41 Posted on Planning 0 30

Hi girls,

I am quite new to this site, but have been reading alot of your discussions etc, and I have a question for you all......

My wedding dress is an halter neck and I am loving the back jewellery which you can get, but I am kinda guessing that you will need a necklace for the back jewellery to hang off, do you think a necklace will look OK with an halter neck dress???? Every photo I have looked at every bride has a strapless dress on????

Thanks in anticipation of your replies!!!

30 replies

Latest activity by Quartz, 8 of January of 2010 at 13:02
  • Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

That's a good question actually...I really love halter necks and have seen some gorgeous bridal gowns with them, but never thought about how a back necklace would look with it. I'd imagine it might look quite odd at the front with the halter, but I guess it depends on how it's done.

Sorry no help at all, am I?! Maybe some of the jewellery HIB Hitchers like Purrfect Gems will be able to shed some light on what you could do?

Oh, and any pics of your dress?!

• S
    Beginner March 2010
    Sarahloup ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Stazzle, you can see my predicament!!

Here's a picture of my dress, its very plain really hence why I thought I bit of back bling would look quite nice..........

• Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I made a "back" necklace for a bride a few weeks ago, she had a halterneck dress. As I have not seen any pics yet of her in the dress with the necklace on, I cannot comment but she loves the necklace I made.

Here's a piccy of the necklace I did for her.

• S
    Beginner March 2010
    Sarahloup ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Debbie, that looks lovely, so it seems as if it can be done!!

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

You're dress is almost the same as mine. Monsoon right?

I'm not having any necklace back or otherwise as I think it will detract. How does yours fasten at the back? Mine has ribbons.

I'm having a blinging bracelet instead. Keeping it simple.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't suggest a necklace at all at the front, earrings and a bracelet possibly. however the back jewellery Debbie made would be lovely if it could be attached to the dress fasening with a clip.

• Ms T
    Ms T ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't recommend a necklace with a halter neck as it just detracts too much and draws the eye away from the dress by giving the neckline an unnatural look. But I have seen back necklaces built into the back of the dress either by being tied in to the ribbon or looped around a concealed button. So if you really wanted that then you could look for someone to make a single chain/decorated strand for you and attach it into the dress.

Personally I would go for a statement bracelet and earrings myself and that's what I tend to recommend to all my customers as well.

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I'd say just earrings rather than a necklace. Could you fix the back jewellery to the actual fabric of the dress at the back?

• Hide content

I could certainly make a similar necklace to the bespoke one I made a while ago & could pop some little clasps on, so that it can be attached to the dress, that way you wont get a "front part" of a necklace just the back drops

Debbie

x

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What ms T has said. I think the whole point of your dress is to elongate your neck, and if you wear a necklace you are cutting your neck in half, if you see what I mean. If you do want back jewellery then I'd pin/clip it to the dress. But I think you are going to have to ensure that it matches the dress perfectly, as people will assume it is part of the dress; so if it wasn't a perfect match it would look odd in my opinion. However if you go for ear rings & bracelet you are allowed a little more freedom, as jewellery compliments a dress, it doesn't always match it exactly.

Am I making sense or rambling?

• S
    Beginner March 2010
    Sarahloup ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for not replying sooner, trying to log onto this for about an hour!!!!!

Thank you all so much for your comments, I think that you have made my mind up that it probably isn't the best thing, which is kinda what I was thinking deep down but love the back jewellery so much!!!!

I will have to be on the look out for a killer pair of ear rings and bracelet instead!!!

Yes my dress is from Monsoon, but does not tie up with ribbon at the back, sorry can't remember your name, to reply to your personally!!!

Thanks ladies!!!!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

If it's killer earrings you are looking for I should be restocking these from next week

• S
    Beginner March 2010
    Sarahloup ·
    • Hide content

Wow, they are lovely!!! Do you have a website that I could look on???? Many thanks!!

• Hide content

I have these on my site at the moment, feel free to contact me if I can help at all

Debbie

x

• S
    Beginner March 2010
    Sarahloup ·
    • Hide content

Ignore me, I must be as blind as a bat, not to see any of yours website addresses!!!

I will be in touch soon ladies, thanks very much!!!

• Fozzy Bear
    Fozzy Bear ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if this helps, but here is a pic of me on my hen night (first time) with a halter neck and necklace - I don't think it gives my neckline an unnatural look?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

The earrings weren't on the website this morning, they are back on now https://www.3djewellery.co.uk/index_files/pierced_and_clip_on_earrings.htm

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Fozzy Bear- that's the sort of necklace that my sister had with her halter neck dress:

but the OP has much more fabric in the halter part of the dress so im not sure a necklace would work at all.

• Fozzy Bear
    Fozzy Bear ·
    • Hide content

Ah, I see.

x

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I’ve been trying to reply to this thread for days but was always taking too long to open.

I’ve worn a necklace with a halterneck before and I didn’t think it looked odd however it did hurt my neck. My dress tied at the back and needed to be really snug (was silk so the knot held the dress up, lol). The knot pressed against the necklace clasp and really annoyed me all night so I would think carefully about how tight you think the strap might be.

I have recently made jewellery sets for bridesmaids with a halterneck and it was done on illusion thread with a Swarovski crystal pendant so the pendant appeared to float in mid air and didn’t look odd in the pictures. This could have a backdrop added no problem and then you aren’t actually having a lot of fuss at the front.

I don’t really think you need a necklace with the dress but wanted to give you a few options.

I've made a couple of stunning bracelets for Hitchers recently.

RaeF had a similar design incorporating her colour scheme in as well but I can't access pictures of that right now but can show you if you want to drop me an email.

Any questions feel free to ask and my website is www.lynseysdesigns.co.uk. Most of my work is bespoke so can design you a different style to what is on my website.

Lynsey x

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

I had a halterneck dress and although I had a necklace, I didn't wear it in the day as I thought it was too much.

If your looking for a big bracelet feel free to email me over - we have a new design which is just awaiting images back from the photographer. So could send it over to you if you like, once I get the proofs.

HTH

Lou

• Hide content

Just a quick update on back drop necklaces.

I have just had one of my brides send me some images of the bespoke backdrop necklace I made. The lady had a low backed dress & wanted just the backdrop of the necklace & no necklace around the front.

I added a couple of clasps to the end of the necklace & she had her dress maker put some little tabs on the inside of her straps, so that the necklace could attach to thes tabs & then drape down her back.

Hope that helps some of you who are looking at having a backdrop necklace

Debbie

xx

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

☹️Thats amazing!

I really want a back necklace but am wearing a corset

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww thanks!!

Its still "do-able" with a corset style top, just depends how far up the corset goes at the back plus the back drop parts can be made much shorter.

The drops in the picture are 10" & 11"

D

x

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Just read this thread and think you've made the right choice. With a halter neck I would go for a lovely bracelet and pair of earrings. Your dress is goooorgeous by the way!

I make jewellery and if I can be of any help, please let me know! My website is below.

Kelly x

• Hide content

Debbie, that really looks gorgeous!

• Hide content

Hey, thanks Kelly..

I have to admit, that this is my favourite style of bridal necklace at the mo... I made a ton of them at the end of November for people wanting them for their work do's over xmas & the majority of new orders I have got this month, so far seem to all be for back drops too

The bride in the picture sent me link to her wedding pictures & they are all absolutely gorgeous, she looks stunning in her dress, doesnt she & the necklace looks fab with it too... even if I say so myself...he..he..he

Debbie

xx

• Hide content

Hi again Sarahloup,

Just to let you know we have a lovely new vintage earring design which has been placed on our website today. It might be the sort of thing you're after...

These are antique silver in colour and have beautiful cultured freshwater pearl and clear swarovski crystal drops. If not, feel free to look at the website for more ideas!

I hope myself or one of the lovely jewellery ladies here can be of help!

• S
    Beginner March 2010
    Sarahloup ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much ladies for all of your responses, I haven't been on here for yonks!!!

I will have a look on all of you websites!!!!

Kelly love those ear rings!!

• Q
    Beginner June 2010
    Quartz ·
    • Hide content

Thank you to everyone who's posted on this thread. I'm thinking of having a halter neck dress, and didn't anticipate wearing a necklace, especially as I love earrings so will be making a bit of a statement with those, but I just adore the idea of the back jewellery, especially as my dress is quite plain at the back, so will be investigating further - when I can get to the shop and sort out my dress. Grrrr hate this snow, I'm starting to panic now because haven't been able to do anything this week.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics