Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mitzi50
Beginner June 2010

Has any one got a different material wedding ring to engagement ring?

Mitzi50, 9 of February of 2010 at 11:07 Posted on Planning 0 22

Morning,

I have been looking at wedding rings lately and everyone has said I should get the same material wedding ring as engagement ring, otherwise they will rub and damage each other. For example my ER is white gold but I wanted a stronger metal for my wedding ring as I think a white gold band might wear more, but they have said if I have a platinum wedding ring, which is what I want, it will rub against my ER and damage it. But I would rather that than a white gold band thats all bent and damaged as its so soft.

Has anyone else got any expereince of a white gold plain wedding band? Or having two different material rings against each other?

TIA x

22 replies

Latest activity by LittleBlueDot, 5 of February of 2018 at 20:33
  • Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I have heard this as well that if you have a white gold ring against a platinum one it will wear the gold away eventually.

I would presume that it would take some time for this to happen but it would be useful if anybody has actual experience of this.

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having problems with this too.. Have a really nice platinum engagement ring but it cost a fortune and i cant afford an expensive wedding band so was gonna end up going for white gold or palladium but worried about them wearing. Smiley sad

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

18ct white gold isn't really that soft. I did a bit of research into it for D's ring. The main problem with white gold is that is needs plated every couple of years whereas platinum doesn't.

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Thats exactly my thinking girls, but I think I would rather have to replace my ER in many years time than my wedding ring, i think.

And they do say that white gold tarnishes eventually and goes yellowy so I would have to have it replated or what ever in about 10 years anyways...me thinks!

Its so confusing!

Meggles - I think palladium is quite strong and its whats used to make the other materials so I think you would be ok with paltinum and palladium together- not sure though! lol!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Can't help re Moya's question but platinum and palladium are fine to wear together. My ER is platinum but got a palladium WR to save money.

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

If you have a hard metal next to a soft metal, the soft one does tend to 'wear away'. That said, I have a platinum er and will be having a titanium wr for 12 months (being replaced on our first anniversary) and I'm not too worried. Obv if it's a more permanent thing then it would be more of an issue

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Claire - so both rings are the same material and they both still rubbed away?

• M
    Beginner June 2010
    MJS84 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Girls,

I asked the jeweler about this as i was also a worried about the rubbing - the answer to me was that in about 50 years you will notice a difference if in constant use but it wouldn't have that noticeable a difference.

xx

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

No you are being helpful claire! x

I think I might go for the wedding ring I want and then if I have to get my ER replated or something in a few years time its not the end of the world.

mmmm....

• L
    Beginner June 2010
    larabelle ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I have a platinum ER but we can't afford lots for our WR's so going for 9Ct White Gold. Whether they are the same or different materials they will rub down eventually so thought that I would save money now and get White Gold then on our 10 year anniversary we should have enough money to be able to afford new rings as a present to each other

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

HI I am a bit late to this but this is what a jweller told me

yes gold is softer than platinum but it would take a very very long time for platinum to wear away a gold ring to any significant extent what they do normally so though is thet it isn't agood idea to wear platinum against White gold, as white gold is dipped to give it it's white colour and this finish wears over time and that the rubbing off of the white finish is speded up if it is against a hard wearing metal such as paltinum.

Personally I think I am going to have a rose gold wedding band and I have a platinum ER and I like the diofferent colours next to each other

x

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    LEM ·
    • Hide content

I have a white gold er which is a silly shape, can't get a white gold wr that fits (small fingers) & will sit right with er. Er ring has also gone very yellow wish in just 12 months, wish I'd got a different er. So I have got a titanium wr & will wear my er on right hand.

• B
    Beginner
    babybay24 ·
    • Hide content

I've got a platinum ER and white gold wedding ring. They haven't rubbed on each other or damaged the wedding ring but the wedding ring does need re-plating but thats totally normal with white gold. I've been married for nearly 5 years so they've had a lot on time being worn together.

• F
    Beginner
    futurecompton ·
    • Hide content

Mitzi50. I dont know your situation, But for whatever reason, your OH bought you a soft metal ER. you on the other hand, realise the benefits and advantages to having a platinum ring. My view is that you should match the metal, unless you won't wear your ER all the time, you are DEFINATELY going to upgrade the ER eventually, or that you have a job/hobbies/ that require a harder wearing, durable metal. You need to think about why your wanting a platinum ring.

I think people need to really think about this issue before they purchase their wedding rings and do their research. Your wedding ring is an investment. You'll be wearing it for life. its not something that you 'upgrade' every few years because you get bored of it or because the maintenance is higher than you expected. Invest your money in the beginning and maintenance will be low. Save money in the beginning and your maintenance costs will be high, or your ring will tarnish or wear.

The average wedding costs over £20,000. 45% of your wedding budget goes on your wedding reception. The food your giving your guests is on average, costing more than your wedding ring yet your don't question it. Think about it, after your wedding, the things that you will look at every day is your husband, and your wedding ring. Why would you cut costs and make savings on the one thing that is going to remind you of that day for the rest of your life.

If you can't afford an expensive metal, thats fine. But you must stick to the same metal. Yes the softer metals like white gold will wear, but they won't wear as fast if you put it next to a hard metal like Platinum. It just doesn't make sense to do that. Your OH has invested in an expensive ER for you, dont scrimp on the wedding ring, which is that one that should last longer than your ER. You WILL notice it tarnish, scratch, thin and age differently to your ER.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

This thread is four years old - Smiley winking

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    CristaMB ·
    • Hide content

I also have a white gold ER & want a platinum wedding ring for the same reason.

I agreed with Mrs BW but then I tried my ER on my right hand (it's too small though) and remembered my fiance putting it on my left 3rd finger - how immensely happy I was - and how scared I was about losing it when I had to take it in to be resized. I knew that if they lost it and gave me a new one - even if it had a bigger diamond - it wouldn't have the same feelings attached.

So, I realised I would be quite upset to have to get a new ER ring in 5 years time because it's worn out - and would probably feel the same about my wedding ring.

My parents both have yellow gold and got their's replaced after 20 years, so I expect I will need to replace them eventually, but would like it to be later rather than sooner.

So I'm thinking of getting a platinum wedding ring and wearing it next to my white gold engagement ring until after the honeymoon when I'll get my ER resized and put on my right hand. It will feel wierd, but it may last longer that way and I still get a longer lasting WR

x

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

It's the thread that won't die!

Actually just last week I had to ask H2B to check his Etsy purchase history to find out whether my ER is 9 or 18 carat gold, cos we're looking at WRs and I knew the metals should match. Turns out it's 9, which is what I thought. I'm quite happy to get a 9 WR as well.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Erm....if this is an attempt to advertise you have done a crappy job of it. #justsayin

• S
    Beginner April 2009
    SunnyPurpleFlowers18620 ·
    • Hide content

Ladies albeit years later this will help future brides Smiley winking.

I got married in New York and my husband & I got platinum wedding rings over there. My ER is also platinum.

Hubby then wanted to get me an eternity ring 2 years later so I had the full set and went to a high class jewellery shop. They advised that gold is softer that platinum so in time yes it would rub the gold ring away but slightly. And that would be over many many years. A cheaper option to platinum is palladium (next down to platinum and the up and coming precious metal). So my eternity ring is palladium which sits under my platinum wedding ring.

I never take my rings rings off so after 10 years I can assure you there is no wear and tear except what you would normally expect. Rings aren’t rubbed away 1 bit. Hope that helps Smiley winking x

• L
    Beginner July 2018
    LittleBlueDot ·
    • Hide content

I got a (very small) white gold wedding ring for my 21st.

I've been wearing it every day for over 10 years and the yellowing is incredibly slight and only on the underneath - where my finger creases on the underside of the knuckle. Otherwise it looks like new.

Hope the bit of information helps in terms of what "every couple of years" might be for replating.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics