Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pink & glitz
Beginner August 2014

Has any1 lived in Dubai???

pink & glitz, 1 of February of 2015 at 16:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

Hope you are all having a good weekend!

Within the next year or so there may be a possibility for my husband and I to move there for a couple of years, due to the work he does. We have never been before and would obviously visit before we said yes to a 2 year job opportunity.

I am wondering though have any of you lived there??

How easy is it to get a job (Admin or beauty therapy)?

What is it like to live in Dubai?

Any information would be gratefully received x

4 replies

Latest activity by LalaC1988, 9 of February of 2015 at 15:59
  • Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Can't help personally but a friend of mine recommends trying here:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/dubai-expat-forum-expats-living-dubai/

I'd love to do this. I spent some time travelling the Middle East when i was younger. Never been to Dubai though!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Nope - but a friend of mine lives there as a teacher at an international school (she's lived in both the city and the desert) and W's cousin also moved out a year ago with his job ... I can't give any constructive advice but to say that both are really very happy there. Good luck Smiley smile

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

How is your research going? We have some friends who live out there and they enjoy it. They have a good social life and a great standard of living - drivers, a nanny etc.

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Not often on here but saw your post.

Dubai.....lovely sunny place with a million things to spend your money on.

I was there for 2 years and left end of November so hopefully can help. Firstly - jobs - unfortunately both roles you've indicated are usually taken by much lower paid Filipino girls - saying that though as you'll be on your husbands sponsorship there may be opportunities. Get logged into expatwoman.com - there's a Dubai forum which will be very useful and a jobs section - few admin jobs on there at the moment but no mention of salary. Guessing if they are full time around 8-10,000 AED.

Living in Dubai can be expensive - try and make sure husband gets accommodation as part of his package. You haven't mentioned salary but realistically he should be asking for at least 20k (aed - not sure of the GBP rate), + medical insurance for both of few + relocation expenses (shipping) + yearly flights + housing. On that sort of salary you won't be living the Ferrari ex-pat lifestyle but should be able to manage if you don't go for Friday brunches all the time. Petrol as I'm sure you know, is cheap - not sure about cars as never drove. Public transport is good - metro and bus are cheap, and reliable and taxis are good as well.

Social life - Dubai has everything - pretty much - and is far more relaxed than not only other GCC countries but also other Emirates. This doesn't mean that walking round in Ibiza style clothes is acceptable (but you will see it unfortunately), but as long as you have your 'bits' covered you'll be fine - as an idea - vest tops- fine for the pool/beach but take a cardi or something to cover up more if heading to the mall etc. Sorry - slightly off topic there. Lots of bars -all in hotels - some are your average type bar - others very glam and pretentious and far too expensive for most people. You'll find prostitutes in both - its the quality and price that differs.

There are usually some great bands on between Sept/Oct - June when it's cool enough to be outside - JazzFest at the end of this month has Jamie Cullen, Sting and John Legend (I'm heading over to see John, can't wait), other bands have included.......Elvis Costello, Europe (hahahaha - had to go), Sinead O'connor, Lady gaga etc etc - and if they don't play in Dubai they might be on in Abu Dhabi.

Shopping, beauty etc - virtually every other building is a beauty salon or shop. Some of the best salons I've been to have been small cheapy places but of course there are lots of luxury spas as well - mobile spas that come to you home. Shopping is good - though more expensive than the UK - most of the UK clothes shops are in Dubai but cost around 25% more. Pork and alcohol are available - Spinneys and most of the other supermarkets have special 'Not for muslims' sections that sell Pork and there are special shops all over the city to buy booze - you do need a license to buy (and officially drink it) though.

Other stuff

as long as you don't go mad, Dubai is a great place to live for a couple of years, you can get a cleaner fairly cheaply - great for getting rid of all the dust/sand you'll get, there are great places to travel to for long weekends - Oman, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Jordan, Turkey etc etc etc and even in country the different Emirates are interesting with characters of their own. There are great restaurants and yes of course you have to experience Friday brunch at least once.

Of course there are not so good bits - driving is pretty crazy......paperwork can be a nightmare - word of warning - get all your certificates etc stamped and signed by the various people before you leave the UK - check embassy requirements. Try and be patient - it can be frustrating at times and most importantly don't get sucked into that Ferrari/Chanel handbag lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

My good friend moved out there two years ago she had never been before went with her husband who was in teaching went to be a teachers assistant (think she got job helped by husband) they love it so much and don't think they will be back.

good luck x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics