Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Knownowt

Has anyone been to the opera in Holland Park?

Knownowt, 16 June, 2009 at 18:37 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

I have a couple of questions...

5 replies

Latest activity by Knownowt, 17 June, 2009 at 08:45
  • Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

I have (and it was fantastic btw.!) It was a couple of years ago but fire away.

• Stella Bee
    Beginner August 2006
    Stella Bee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto! What are you going to see?

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Oh brilliant, thank you. I've never been but am organissing an evening for a big group of friends. My questions:

1. the website says one can book picnic tables- from the pics it looks like they're under cover. Is this necessary/desirable? Do people picnic on the grass or do most people have a table? There is a charge to book them so I don't want to if it's not necessary, but would obviously be a boon if it rains.

2. Is it black tie? From the pics on the site I'd guess not but I can't find anything specific about it.

?

• Stella Bee
    Beginner August 2006
    Stella Bee ·
    • Hide content

I've never booked a picnic table - I've always just taken a sandwich and sat on the grass. Actually I can't remember even seeing picnic tables, I didn't know they existed. I think as you say the only real reason would be if you want to avoid the rain, but there is cover from trees so you could probably find shelter if needed, as long as it wasn't torrential!

Not black tie, no. I've always gone straight from work (and I don't wear a suit to work ? ). You can dress up if you want but it's certainly not ballgown and black tie opera.

Have fun - it's a lovely thing to do ?

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty sure the picnic tables were undercover, but I didn't see anyone actually using them (we went for dinner at the Belvedere restaurant in the park which was rather good).

People were wearing a variety of outfits in terms of formality but not many were wearing black tie - I think you might feel a bit overdressed in that. H was in a lounge suit and I wore a cocktail sort of dress, and we were on the more formal end of things.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

That's really helpful, thank you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics