Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

daisymoo86
Beginner July 2016

Has anyone decided on their venue and then changed their minds?

daisymoo86, 7 of February of 2014 at 11:16 Posted on Planning 0 16

We have still to pay a deposit for our venue and I think I am holding off as I am not 100% sure.

The thing is, other places that I loved more were well out of our price range for the date we want and the number of guests we want. We found a venue that is afforable for our number of guests and can do our date. But now I am having doubts about it, the more I think about it, the more people ask me about it, the more I think I find faults with it.

To be honest I am getting a bit stressed out with it and just want something booked. I have looked at so many venues online and ruled them out cos of price, I have only seen a few in person and the others were ruled out becuase of price. I think I am probably just expecting too much for the money we can actually afford.

Has anyone else had wobbles on their venues??

16 replies

Latest activity by HundredMonkeys, 8 of February of 2014 at 08:31
  • MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hun, I can't say that I changed my mind but I have had wobbles. Especially since my mum continues with the "it's too far" comments (it's 20 minutes from my house, I live 20 minutes from her) and when I have told people they have either not heard of it or are distinctly underwhelmed. But spat the end if the day they can do me a great deal for the number of guests we want, it's not an entirely ugly place and we would have struggled to afford anything else. It got mine, oh's and 2 best friends seal of approval and I just focus on the good bits that I like. I.e the ceremony room, the gardens for pics and the price lol!

i think that a few people will have wobbles, whether it's about the venue, the dress, the colour scheme etc, but at the end of the day you do what you can with your vision and your budget and I am confident that we will have a fab day and I am sure that you will too. I guess as long as you and your oh say your vows the rest pales in significance in the end. It's easy to lose sight of the big picture though I know this!!

if you really want a different venue, could you not consider changing the date? Or is that special to you?? Xxx

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Sorry!! Have just seem your signature and understand why you want that date now!! Xxx

• millielovesroses
    Beginner March 2014
    millielovesroses ·
    • Hide content

I booked a venue for my reception, paid a deposit (only £50) but then a few months later viewed another one that I just happened to be passing and liked it so much better! I booked it, paid a deposit on that one too then cancelled the first one. I did lose my deposit, but feel so much better about my final choice.

Only book something you are happy with unless you are prepared to lose whatever deposit you pay if you find a better one. x

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

We would lose £950 if we booked this venue and then found another. To be honest I dont think we will find another as this place is so affordable and costs are a big issue for us.

The problems I have with it are that its in a public park, so there will be general members of the public milling around whilst we have our photos, its only in one room so if it rains everyone has to be confined to one space, the toilets are shared with members of the public (until the park closes of course). But then it is a bargain for what you do get, the park is the grounds of an old ruined abbey so some chances for some lovely shots, theres a duck lake so the kids can go feed the ducks, its a carvery dinner which we know everyone will love. There are just pros and cons and I cant decide which arguement is winning!!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds pretty nice to me......

Peter

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

It sounds lovely to me. People tend to keep out of the way when photos are getting took anyway. What time do you get married and what time does the park close to the public? I have a feeling that you will get the whole place to yourself for a while.as for the one room if it rains well it will just be more intermit wedding sure it will be ok.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

It sounds lovely to me. People tend to keep out of the way when photos are getting took anyway. What time do you get married and what time does the park close to the public? I have a feeling that you will get the whole place to yourself for a while.as for the one room if it rains well it will just be more intermit wedding sure it will be ok.

• millielovesroses
    Beginner March 2014
    millielovesroses ·
    • Hide content

I agree with others - it sounds lovely! But if you are not sure, then hold off for a while, you have plenty of time before you have to book your venue. x

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    S2BMRSB ·
    • Hide content

I am still having a hard time deciding on mine, and we viewed it on the 5th of November! Yours sounds lovely though! The only problem I can see is you will have members of the public around for part of the day, but I thik you will be so busy and wraped up with your day that I doubt you will notice them much? The pond and feeding the ducks will be lovely for the kids (I would like it for meSmiley winking If they can do your date I say go for it?

Let us know what you decide?

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Im hoping to go back either next weekend or the one after to have another look, and hopefully this will make my mind up for me.

The venue is a place called Rufford Mill, its in the grounds of Rufford Abbey Country Park. The room itself is in a building above a shop which is open to the public. Think the park closes at 6pm. Hopefully getting married at 1pm.

I think we will probably go with it as I have looked elsewhere and cannot justify the expense of some of the other places. I think I was just hoping for more of a moment, like when I was there I would just know if that makes sense. Think I may be having an unneccesary wobble! So early on in the planning process as well!! lol

• S
    Siab1982 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the same problem! Found a venue I love but am still to put a deposit down even though we have a date held in reserve as just can't quite make up my mind! It's a little over budget but I think we could stretch to it if we really want it, my problem is it is an expensive venue for my guests, rooms very from £100-200 and drinks are expensive at the bar! Am going to see other venues in next few weeks but something tells me they won't compare to this one! So stressed out by it all already and H2B is away so can't give me a hug to make me feel better!

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Ah virtual hug to you!! ?

At least we know we are not alone in our indecision! Does your H2B love it? I'm sure next time you can speak to him he will go through things with you to help you decide on it!!

What are the pros for your venue? You only listed the negatives?

• S
    Siab1982 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Smiley smile I've been offloading on one of my bridesmaids all morning! There are lots of positives to be fair, the venue is exclusive use and is absolutely stunning. Beautiful grounds for photos, great food and the staff seem really helpful. I think we can take the hit on the cost as we will only do it once but I'm just worried about the expense for my guests but as I live down south it's london prices everywhere! Tried explaining that to my dad but he didn't really get it, just said we should book somewhere else as it's a rip off! H2B likes it as well so gonna have a big chat over the pros and cons tonight when he's home! Daisymoo your venue sounds lovely x

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Ah what would we do without our BM's!! I think that is my only disappointment, that it isn't exclusive. Our venue doesn't include hotels, nor is it really close to where we and family live, so most people coming will have to get a hotel. But as my mum said, we've been to weddings of cousins etc which were up in Durham and we had to get hotels, so they will appreciate that and come along. I think if someone wants to be at your day they will come no matter how much the hotel will cost etc. and as you say where you live thats a price to be expected so I am sure your guests wont be shocked by it.

• Forever&always
    Beginner September 2016
    Forever&always ·
    • Hide content

This is exactly my problem and I was going to write a post until I saw yours. Unfortunately though we paid £1000 deposit last weekend and they wanted to release the date we wanted, which is fair as they held it for 3weeks for us. We viewed around 12 venues, none ticked 100% of the boxes but this one came within our budget and wash fiancé's favourite. My advice is view it again, look and ask around to ensure there are no other venues. Even if they quote over your budget tell them what you can go to and see if they will come down. There is no rush to decide this weekend apart from losing the date. Don't do anything until you are confident in your decisions as its all I think about

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

My venue is in a public park too and we're getting married on a monday at 1pm so I'm fully expecting children and their mums to be wandering around as well as people walking their dogs. I'm quite excited - it's like having extra people to say congratulations without having to pay for them ?

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

We are having our wedding photos in the old abbey grounds which are next door to our town hall reception. Yes, it'll be very busy there with lots of members of the public but I actually think it'll be quite a laugh and it doesn't really bother me. Most people will just be like "aww it's a wedding, look at her dress!" and will probably just stand and watch. I have seen a wedding in the abbey grounds before and that's what most people did, others just walked in the other direction. Maybe put your ushers on hand to dispel any silly folk who try and join in as your wedding party or whatever but I think you'll be fine. Sharing the public toilets doesn't matter either, guests won't be in there for very long! Our reception is also just in one big room, most weddings I've been to have been the same, it was fine. I say go for it, it sounds great.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics