Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner February 2008

Has anyone ever claimed successfully on their pet insurance?

Boop, 14 of January of 2009 at 16:14 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

Having had Direct Line turn down a claim, More Than also refuse to pay out for bollocks reasons, this time Riley was insured with Pet Plan right from the start.

They've just turned down our claim for her bum stuff, because the first time she had her anal glands emptied was when she was insured by them under the free insurance they give out for rescues, rather than under the full policy we then took out on the back of that free insurance. Her anal glands weren't even in need of emptying at the time - the vet checked them because of other symptoms she had and it turned out that she was full of rather nasty worms instead - but PP have still refused to pay out.

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. We've paid £30 a month for nearly two years for their full for life coverage and they won't pay out. Her treatment in total cost less than we've paid in insurance.

I know there's always the chance that something horrific might happen that would leave us with a bill of 1000s, but at the moment I'm finding it hard to believe they wouldn't find some way of not paying then too.

17 replies

Latest activity by Zamnacapital, 6 of July of 2023 at 14:56
  • H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

We claimed hundreds, if not over £1k, last year when our cat, Edward, was ill. There was no problem whatsoever with claiming either. I think that was with Pet Plan.

L
    xx

• Brontolo
    Beginner October 2004
    Brontolo ·
    • Hide content

We've claimed twice for one of our cats when he's been bitten and had infections that needed treated. The last claim involved emergency care as it happened on a saturday night.

I'm just about to make another claim for yet another injury - this one is a bruised back and broken tooth which had to be removed, we think following him being kicked Smiley sad

We're with petplan - costs £20 and the excess is £80 each time but I think we'd be about 1K out of pocket now if we hadn't been able to claim.

• flailing wildly
    flailing wildly ·
    • Hide content

My flatmate has just claimed around two grand for her dog's tumour removal ops, and prior to that had a payout for the same dog's minor eye op. I think it's Tesco pet insurance, which seem to have paid out pretty quickly.

• B
    Beginner February 2008
    Boop ·
    • Hide content

So, we're just unlucky then?

I'm so hacked off about it - even our vet has told them that her anal glands weren't an issue at the time, and also argued that as they were supplying the insurance at the time it can hardly be regarded as a 'pre-existing condition' when we took out the first policy.

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

We have claimed through Pet Plan twice, once when Hudson ate a tube of Ibuprofen gel and then when Hugo had a growth on his leg. They were very good and there was no issue.

I think I'd fight what they've said to you above, it sounds a bit dodgy really, especially as dogs have their anal glands squeezed as pretty much standard. We have ours squeezed when they are groomed.

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

Pet Plan paid out loads for Pete to have heart scans etc but not for Wilf's heart problems because the murmur was detected at a vet appointment for something else within the first 14 days of the policy. The cat rescue place stumped up the £500 we'd already shelled out because they knew about it and didn't tell us.

• R
    Beginner September 2007
    rah ·
    • Hide content

We claimed the maximum £2,500 IIRC when Dillon was hit by a car and had to have reconstructive surgery on his front paw (including a skin graft), we were insured with Tesco and they took a while to do it but we got it - which I can say was a huge relief - especially since the bill was closer to £4000.

Would it be possible to appeal/ explain the circumstances?

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

I've claimed a lot with Pet Plan. Last claim they did refuse to pay for the part of having some benine (sp?) tumours that were removed as they were detected a couple of years ago. Overall though I am definately quids in for having it.

• HanB
    Beginner June 2004
    HanB ·
    • Hide content

Direct line paid out for us last feb when our dog was on a drip for 4 days. Turned out to be pancreatitis, he was really poorly but with lots of drugs he got better. The only thing they wouldnt pay out for was the special food he had to have.

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

We have always had our cats insured through Tesco - claimed when one broke his leg and had to be operated on. And again since when he had cat flu and was really poorly.

Both times I have just contacted them and got the forms. We filled in a bit, gave the rest to the vet and then got a cheque in the next couple of weeks.

Never had any problems at all

• Monkey   Mavis
    Beginner
    Monkey Mavis ·
    • Hide content

Boop that is terrible re PetPlan.

I would take it further - I have to write lots of letters for clients when some jobsworth says no to a claim. The fact that you were on the 6w covernote is irrelevant and squeezing the anal glands was more of an investigation to check if they were an issue - not the problem as you say.

I have never had any problems with my own animal's claims from Pet Plan and Direct Line. I have made 3 claims in the last 6 months - totalling £3k.

Speak to your vets.

• S
    Scarlet Fifi La Voom ·
    • Hide content

We managed to have a pay out from Morethan ok. Our dog had to have her eye removed which cost them £800

• Helen**
    Beginner March 2015
    Helen** ·
    • Hide content

Yes I've claimed, when my norwegian forest cat was run over and killed pet plan paid out £350.

Also when my Mums cat was shot (yes shot with a gun by some idiot who thinks its ok to shoot cats!) she claimed over a £1000 in vets fees, pet plan were brilliant so thats really disapointing to hear that they aren't paying out. My friend who is a vet nurse swears by them, they are the only insurers she recommends.

• Lou-smudge
    Beginner August 2009
    Lou-smudge ·
    • Hide content

We used Tesco aswell, Dylan is Diabetic and it would cost us a fortune in insulin and needles if we didnt have the insurance. He also had cancer last xmas and they paid out for all his surgery too. They've always been really helpful and sympathetic.

• S
    Beginner October 2005
    SAM83 ·
    • Hide content

We are with Argos and have claimed for Dylan our schnauzers anal gland problems as well as a cyst removal and have never had any problems apart from waiting about 6 months both times for it to get sorted.

• Z
    New South Wales
    Zamnacapital ·
    • Hide content

Yes, many people have successfully claimed on their pet insurance. Pet insurance is designed to help cover the cost of unexpected veterinary expenses for your pet, and people often file claims for various reasons such as accidents, illnesses, surgeries, and treatments.

• Z
    New South Wales
    Zamnacapital ·
    • Hide content

The specific success of a claim depends on several factors, including the coverage provided by the insurance policy, the nature of the pet's condition, and the documentation provided by the pet owner. Insurance pet companies have different policies and coverage options, so it's essential to carefully review and understand the terms and conditions of your specific pet insurance policy. Some policies have deductible amounts and maximum limits on coverage, while others may exclude pre-existing conditions or certain types of treatments. By familiarizing yourself with the policy details and following the correct claim procedures, you can increase your chances of a successful claim.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics