Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner October 2011

Has anyone had a morning ceremony with evening reception?

happycamper, 20 of January of 2011 at 20:53 Posted on Planning 0 24

And if so what did you do with your afternoon?!!

I have a few ideas of my own.... no not that!.... but wanted to see if anyone else has planned their day this way?

24 replies

Latest activity by Angelique, 8 of September of 2021 at 07:48
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Why worry? They should be perfectly capable of "entertaining themselves" for that time, surely? Particularly if the bar (or a nearby pub) is open.

We have a couple of hours of 'dead time' for those not joining us for the wedding breakfast so we provided a list of suggested things to do, all within half an hour's drive, of our venue. People seem to understand the situation and appreciate the trouble we've gone to to provide all that information to them.

If your wedding is local to most of your guests, wouldn't they simply return home anyway, and possibly change from something posh for the ceremony to something a bit more informal for the evening bit?

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There will be only a handful of people at the ceremony (about 15), and none of them live local to the current most likely venue. I am thinking I would like to organise "something" for the afternoon and include all of the evening guests in this, if they would like to come earlier. But I need ideas! So far my main idea is giant games, e.g. Jenga.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We're having our ceremony at 12pm, photos between 12:30pm and 1:30pm. It takes about an hour to then get back to our reception venue, where we'll have an informal afternoon-tea-style lunch between 2:30pm and about 4:30pm. We're then letting guests have some free time between the end of lunch and 6:30pm when the evening reception starts. We've identified some local hotels for people to stay in, so perhaps some might like to go back and change/get refreshed etc. The reception venue is near the river, so we'll be providing maps in case anybody would like to go for a riverside walk. Also since both our families are large, some people might like to take the opportunity to chat.

I certainly don't think any of them will be bored... after all, when we have family gatherings no-one gets bored and there aren't any DJs or entertainers! Perhaps we will bring some board games for people to play, and we're planning on setting up a little table with photos of past family weddings as a talking point.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I've been to 2 weddings that have had a break after the meal and think it depends on how you handle it. One we all moved to the bar of the hotel and had a few more drinks and a mingle before the evening guests joined us, they had a steel band playing and it was really good.

The other more recently, the groom dismissed us after the meal, nothing was organised as entertainment and we were in a hotel miles from anywhere so we just erm went for a lie down! I know some people carried on drinking but they were then hammered at the evening do. It wasn't very well thought out I don't think just to expect people to find something to do for over 2 hours

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Timings will always overrun anyway so I wouldn't worry too much!

We had giant games which entertained the children and a bouncy castle which entertained half the adults! Watching the others entertained the other half!!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

If people are staying over at the hotel they will generally mill around and check themselves into their around i should presume around that time before the evening reception starts.

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

Our ceremony is at 1:30, will finish around 2:00, then photos for around an hour and a half will bring us to 3:30, wedding breakfast for around 4:00 once everyone is seated then 3 course meal followed by speaches will take a good few hours, will probably end around 6-7 by then the evening guests will arrive at 7:30-8:00 its like people have said, things over run so everything will probably fall into place, i wouldnt worry to much about it x

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It isn't a hotel!

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content

It's not that I don't appreciate the replies, but everyone saying it will fall into place seems to have ceremonies at 1pm at the earliest. That is not a morning ceremony! I'm talking about 11am, that is 2 hours earlier, and with a fairly straightforward meal for less than 20 people, not a banquet "wedding breakfast". I'm really starting to wonder if this whole wedding lark is just not for me. It seems there is such expectation of dress, numbers, meal, timings, etc etc, and none of it is what I want, and no-one seems to get it, not even people on here, which I thought some of you would, as you are all here to plan a special day, and surely I'm not the only one who wants non-traditional. ☹️

Is there a wedding forum especially for tomboys who want quiet weddings with no bling? [:'(]

Time to run away to Gretna Green.

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok, so your weddings at 11am......people are only trying to help, give advice etc etc...you didnt actually say what time you were having it did you?

Whats the money situation like, are you on a small budget?! if not, have some sort of entertainment, tribute groups, Caricatures, walk around and see your guests talk to them etc...

11:00 Ceremony
    11:30 Photographs & Mingling
    1:00 breafast followed by speaches, gift hand outs
    3:00 maybe 4:00 cut the cake, have a few more pictures taken with guests go around with the guest book etc
    5:00 Entertainment
    7:00 Disco & Evening guests arrive....

some guests may even like a gap, so they can go and freshen up, change or even check into local hotels.....

Hope this helps, no doubt its probably what you already expected....

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the reply, sorry if I sounded a bit stressed, it is just all getting to me. I don't have anything booked yet, can't even find a venue we like, mum trying to take over already, just feel like I'm not sure I can be doing with all this. By a morning wedding I meant before 12 noon, that's all.

Thanks for the sample timetable, that is actually a really helpful starting point, and you have put a couple of things of there I had not thought of taking time, e.g. gift handout, guest book. Thank you. Going for ️☕️ and a hug now!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

Our ceremony is at 11am too! I was a bit worried about it since we will have at least 3 hours between the end of the wedding breakfast and the beginning of the evening entertainment and at weddings I've been to where they've had outdoor games no one seems to be interested. I think its ok in theory saying that you will have some outdoor games and a nice walk somewhere nearby, etc, but when people are in their fancy clothes and very impractical and uncomfortable shoes that is the last thing they want to do. If your venue has beautiful grounds or quiet rooms with seating then they will probably sit around and chat. You could have a quiz about you and your OH for everyone to do or, depending on the time of year you are getting married, you could have sparklers or Chinese lanterns which don't cost very much.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a morning ceremony and an intimate dinner with approx 12 guests afterwards. After the meal they had a few drinks and then all went home and came back later reday to party and celebrate. I think as long as your guests are informed and know what to expect then it is fine. If any are travelling a distance from home could they go home with relatives close by who are also at the wedding and relax with them for a few hours.

You will probably all feel better for the break than if you were stressing about entertaining people, and the guests hitting the bar to fill the time.

Hth

• B
    Beginner May 2011
    BridetobeMrsW ·
    • Hide content

We also have an 11am wedding. We're filling time with receiving line, best man speech sweepstake, quiz and thinking of having garden games or a magician. I hope this helps with some ideas, it did stress me out a bit at 1st but the more I think about it I realise it's my special day and want it to last as long as possible and I'll be able to spend all that time with my nearest and dearest X

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

If you've not booked anything yet then how do you know you're having an 11am wedding? Just book it for the affternoon instead!

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

Glad the timetable helped a little, and dont worry, my mum was exactly the same but unfortunatly you have to be cruel to be kind and put her in her place, obviously you thank her and tell her you appreciate all her input but its you and your OH's wedding! Just dont let things get ontop of you and worry you because its ment to be a happy day and you'll resent it if you've stressed out so much about it! Keep smiling! X

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content

I can't book an afternoon ceremony, for other reasons, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for all the replies.

?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was just about to reply along similar lines!

• M and M
    Rockstar August 2025 West Midlands
    M and M ·
    • Hide content

Samantha not oly are we date twins (or is it the day after) but these are all the timings im working on too!

I think guests will just enjoy time to mingle and chat! Check in to rooms too! x

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooooooh, im 30th July Mel!......I'm more worried about getting ready in the morning! need to find 3 or 4 hairdressers and maybe 2 makeup artists so we're not having to get up at stupid o'clock hehe x

• InThePinc
    Beginner May 2012
    InThePinc ·
    • Hide content

This is my second wedding and my first wedding was a morning ceremony. The wedding breakfast took up a lot of the day but there was a lull in the middle where people went home for a rest and then came back in the evening which was a bit of a downer lol. but it will make the day that much longer!!

• B
    Bev Downie ·
    • Hide content

I photographed a wedding with similar timings a couple of years ago. The couple had a jazz band playing and arranged a big game of cricket which everyone joined in for a couple of hours. It went down really well. The only problem is you would need a wet weather alternative.

• Angelique
    Beginner August 2022 Iraklion
    Angelique ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How did your wedding turn out? I'm looking to do exactly this. We're having our ceremony at 8am on the beach in Greece then a buffet style bbq dinner and reception at the hotel in the evening. I have no clue how to entertain the guests for an entire day. Its gonna be damn hot in Greece between 12 and 4.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics