Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

beckyboo

Has anyone had Laser Eye Treatment Twice? and a WWYD?

beckyboo, 9 of October of 2008 at 22:33 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

I have been offered a 2nd attempt at my deteriorating Laser eye surgey, I had it done for the first time in October 2000. It started to get worse around 2 and a half years ago. This falls under my lifetime aftercare garauntee so I get it for free.

They (Ultralase) are saying I will have to have Lasek this time and it will be a more uncomfortable recovery and recovery will be longer.

Can anyone say if they have had it done what was your recovery like?

And WWYD? would you have it done again if you were able to or just live with them as they are now

Thanks in advance

12 replies

Latest activity by beckyboo, 10 of October of 2008 at 23:30
  • B
    Beginner September 2007
    bostongirl ·
    • Hide content

Only had it once, so can't help you I'm afraid. On the WWYD - more info needed in order to answer. Why / how is it getting worse and what is causing the deterioration?- that would affect my opinion.

• beckyboo
    beckyboo ·
    • Hide content

Sorry yes more details would probably help. It was corrected to 20/20 vision in 2000 when my eye site before that was -7.75 and -8.25.

I have always been thrilled with the results even when they started to deteriorate. My eyesite is now around -1.25 and -1.50. I am wearing my glasses all day as I can't make out whats on tv.

Ultralase can't say what caused them to deteriorate, they speculated that it could have been due to the fact that my prescription was so big to start with or the fact that 5 was only 20. Or even the fact that i had only stopped BFing in September (I was never asked if i had been BFing even though they wont see you now unless you have stopped for more than 3 months).

I guess I am worried about my eyesite getting worse due to having more surgery but the prospect of it improving is driving me to think about being retreated.

I guess no one can answer this one for me really as the circumstances are personal!

Thanks for reading.

• DebbieD
    DebbieD ·
    • Hide content

I have only had it done once, but if I could correct my vision by having it done again, I would. I had mine done at different times - my left was done in 1993 and my right eye 3 years ago.

I now have to wear glasses for reading (old age!) but sadly they can't correct long-sightedness. If they could, I'd be there like a shot!

• AngelFace123
    Beginner November 2007
    AngelFace123 ·
    • Hide content

If I needed it done again, which I suspect I might, I'd definately do it again. Especially if its free.

• stormfairy
    stormfairy ·
    • Hide content

You really need to talk to an optician completely unrelated to the company doing the laser treatment and ask them about it. They will give an unbiased opinion on the further benefits, if any, of more treatment and if its likely to occur again

• beckyboo
    beckyboo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replys.

I have always said that I would have it done again with no second thought, but now I find myself here I guess I am frightened that it will make my eye site worse.

They will only do one eye at a time and they will only do LASEK which isn't as easily done as LASIK.

I guess I will have to think it over.

Thanks again

Becky

• S
    Beginner
    safetyzone ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Stormfairy that you should get a second opinion from another clinic.

• A
    anna belle ·
    • Hide content

How old were you when you first had the laser surgery?

they say if you're 25 or under you may need it re-done in the future as your eyes/prescription have not stabalised fully by that age. In cases like this you will need to get it re-done and it should be fine. Perhaps this has happened to you?

I've heard of a few people getting it re-done. It's best to check there's nothing else wrong first, but if all seems ok then it seems good that they will do it for free.

• B
    Beginner September 2007
    bostongirl ·
    • Hide content

I'd hold off a while to see if it goes back to normal. I think my eyesight has been a bit worse since havng the baby, and I did read somewhere that fluid levels are all over the place in pregnancy and breastfeeding and that can have an effect so I wasn't worried. You've got me worried now - my eyes were similar to yours before surgery - I had Lasik in 2004. The guy that did mine was one of the world leaders and pioneers of the technology. he had done many people with really bad eyes with a very high success rate (the reason I chose him was the number of patients with really bad eyesight that he had been successful with). He really pointed out all the pitfalls and likely issues, but at no point did he mention deterioration over time with strong prescriptions, so unless you can find something independent to state that is a possibility, I think they may be just guessing. I think I'd get a second opinion. On the WWYD, I'd have to say absolutely no way. I'd just wear glasses for driving and watching TV. Having the incision done a second time causes much more weakness. When I had mine done originally, I had decided that if they got it to within 1.5 of perfect I would not have it re-done, even though it would not have cost anything. Did you wear glasses or contact lenses before you had the surgery?

• L
    laurenbird ·
    • Hide content

Hello Beckyboo honey. What a horrible thing to have said to you. Did they not explain the process any more than this?

I work at a laser surgery. Lasek is a procedure that is used to treat your prescription when you have less corneal tissue cells to use. (Normally a 'flap' is made) You may have had lasik in your first surgery which will have either used up some tissue or created a small amount of scar tissue which cant be re lifted. In this situation the surface cells are loosened with a liquid and removed. The prescription is treated and then the cells are placed back. A contat lens is then used as a 'bandage' for between 3 nd 5 days. I would recommend taking a week off of work as you will notice that your eyes are very dry and agravated. But you should not feel pain. I think it really depends on your threashold though.

There is another way to treat your prescription, but you will need to ask the surgeon if you can have this done. We call it intralase at our practice. It is where the 'flap' is created with a laser. It costs more to have this done, so Im not sure if they would offer it to you iyswim?

If you want any more details of you just want a little support then feel free to mail me. I hope you have more information now and it isnt too gruesome! I kown all this talk of 'flaps' and 'loosening' is a bit minging! Lol.

Hope it helps xxxx

• L
    laurenbird ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness! I have just read this! That isnt very good, I cant believe they didnt ask you if you were pregnant or breatfeeding.

Have they been monitoring you for very long? Usually we monitor 're treat patients' for a minimum of 3 months. It doesnt very often happen but you need to be monitored to make sure that you dont fluctuate. I would stringly consider having a consultation elsewhere just to see what is offered ie treatment wise.

XX

• beckyboo
    beckyboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Laurenbird,

Thanks for replying, its good to get a professional point of view.

The reasons they are offering LASEK is due to the fact that I have thin corneas after my LASIK surgery 8 years ago and some slight scarring from my flaps. I was given a little more info about it. I remember about the alcohol stripping the lens away but it was quite technical. The main emphasis was on the recovery and on the fact I might get blurring in the eye which could last up to 4 months.

I was only 20 when I had my surgery so like a previous poster (sorry I can't remember the name) said this may be a factor of them deteriorating. Along with the othe things I mentioned (bfing and the size of my origonal prescription).

Ultralase have been seeing me since June and have conducted lots of tests and I am told the surgeon (who I had my meeting with) Is very confident that I can be helped.

If you can laurenbird could you give me an indication of the success rate of re-treatments?

Thank you to everyone who has answered my questions ?

• beckyboo
    beckyboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for answering bostongirl,

I wouldn't worry too much, I am sure the other factors that I had are the reason for my deterioration not just the fact I had a big prescription. I have been needing my glasses nearly every day now and really struggle to see faces in a crowd or to see the tv now so I am probably wearing them for around 11 hours a day.

They wont be making a second incision this time the treatment is going to be done above my first cut and aso due to the period of time that has passed since my first they are confident that it wont be effected as long as they use the LASEK preceedure.

I did wear glasses before the surgery as I could only see around 12 inches clearly infront of me without them. I used lenses too but due to me missusing them when I was 16 I got an ulcer on my eye. My lenses were really thick too.

I am not a vain person, luckiy I suit glasses its just unfortunate I was called Becky as my nickname was Spekky Becky when i was growing up which drove me insain! Its just I paid a lot of money back then £2000 (it was meant to be £3000 but they did a promotion at the time)
    and if they can make it the same for free then shouldn't i go for it?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics