Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

Has anyone heard of Moissanite?

moonpie1985, 15 of October of 2011 at 13:38 Posted on Planning 0 2

I adore my dainty engagment ring. Its not huge, but makes up for that in sentimental value as it was my nans and is very old.

However, I recently went to USA for a wedding where all the women were wearing absolutly huge sparklers on their hands and every jeweller was selling massive rings, the sort you wouldnt even see in a uk jewellers.

Anyway, me being a bit of a magpie (think i was one in a previous life) gets quite attracted to them.

Now I never want to replace my engagement ring and will never be taking it off, but i quite fancy having a bit of fun and wearing something a bit sparkly on my right hand for evenings out.

I heard QVC were really good for their diamonique rings, and have had a look and they are very affordable, but I also stumbled across Moissanite, which is much more sparkly than CZ and Diamonds, not as cheap as CZ but not nearly as expensive as Diamonds.

Has anyone heard or Moissanite or seen any in the flesh?

There are a few places in the UK importing them from USA and selling them, but other than that they seem to be more readily available in USA.

2 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 23 of November of 2022 at 12:12
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Moisannite is an artificial diamond-like stone created from silicon and carbon. It has similar sparkle qualities as diamond (which is pure carbon). However, in large stones the colour can be off (grey or yellow) - it's a natural quality - but only diamond officianados can really tell the difference. But to me any stone over a carat looks fake anyway!

Moissanite is currently created under patent, meaning one company has the rights to make an sell it, but these patents expire in 2015 and the market will open up and the price will plummet - if you're going to buy I'd leave it for a 5-year anniversary present!

• A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

In the US, lab diamonds are super common and significantly cheaper than natural diamonds - which is why so many people in the US are able to afford mahooosive rings!

From my experience, there's defintiely a bit of a stigma around lab in a lot of UK jewellers - a lot of the indies or more reputable jewellers won't stock them as standard. I've heard a lot about lab's being a "phase" and maybe people would regret it. Equally, I've heard some pro-lab people raving about them because they are chemically a diamond even though they weren't created by the earth and it allows people who prefer a bigger ring the more affordable option.

Mozzanites do look different - you can definitely tell. Again, there the cheaper option from lab diamonds. The different look is actually that they have more of a rainbow sparkle which some people love!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics