Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nefertiti
Beginner November 2002

Has anyone made a wedding cake? (simple one)

Nefertiti, 2 of March of 2009 at 19:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

H has kindly volunteered me to make a wedding cake for his colleague who is getting married in 2 months time and has a very limited budget.

In his defence I have made some pretty impressive cakes for the kids birthday parties but I fear a wedding cake for 50 guests might be a big ask!

Has anyone got a fool-proof 'wedding cake' (fruit) recipe

She has no preference to shape/ style or decoration (Not a girly girl, in her 40's and she is wearing Dr martins at a registry office in a suit for her wedding day ?)

11 replies

Latest activity by spacecadet_99, 3 of March of 2009 at 09:11
  • Sare
    Beginner September 2002
    Sare ·
    • Hide content

Did he ask you first? If not then I'd be giving him some sugar and flour and leaving him to do it!

• Nefertiti
    Beginner November 2002
    Nefertiti ·
    • Hide content

? not exactly...

he called me from their office where they sit opposite each other and said 'she would like to know if I knew how to make a wedding cake having seen pictures of my other cakes' (I wasn't likely to say I couldn't ?)

She did offer to pay me but I can't ask her, she has even less than I do!

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

I've made one wedding cake, but it was chocolate. I do have a foolproof fruitcake recipe, and it tastes fantastic, but it wouldn't keep I shouldn't think - I mean, it would keep for a bit, but if they wanted to save a tier it wouldn't work. Here's the recipe: /recipes/easy-apple-fruit-cake

• Nefertiti
    Beginner November 2002
    Nefertiti ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ginni that looks great - She suggested a large rectangle shape which should be easy and I will probably go with ready roll marzipan and icing - don't think she would be interested in tiers but I may try and get some decorations of sort..

• M
    Mint Spies ·
    • Hide content

We made our own wedding cake - we used Delia's creole christmas cake recipe (plus extra booze) which really benefits from keeping. We made several rectangular cakes, put them side by side and marzipan/iced them as one big cake. I don't like ready-roll icing so I used royal icing instead, and decorated with marzipan flowers that someone made for us. It was about 1m x 40cm in size:

The story of its making is here.

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

I made a 3 tier last September for my best friend, god it was hard work! I used Delia's rich fruit cake recipe with some adjustments (namely more booze) which is a really good recipe and it keeps forever - I've just finished the last of the leftovers last week.

• Kazmerelda
    Beginner August 2006
    Kazmerelda ·
    • Hide content

Dunno if this helps, maybe Nigella's black cake I made one 2 christmases ago and it kept for this one just gone!

Also the chocolate fruit cake by her, my friend kept that for a year and it's something slightly different. IU think I have the recipes if you need them happy to scan them for you and send?

• Pu$$y Cat
    Curious May 2008
    Pu$$y Cat ·
    • Hide content

My Mum made mine and my brother's wedding cakes and used Delia's rich fruit cake recipe as well (again, with extra booze!).

• Cath
    Beginner April 2005
    Cath ·
    • Hide content

Have made several. A ten inch round cake should do 50 guests, can let you have a foolproof recipe if you want. This one was all fruit -

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?album_id=28931226&photo_id=1678086869

• Nefertiti
    Beginner November 2002
    Nefertiti ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic - thank you so much ladies!

It sounds like Delia's fruit cake is a popular option and it is great to have an idea for size too

? all

(Mint Spies - your cake looked great)

edited to add - your too Cath - wow, you lot are very talented

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

Not made one personally so can't help with the recipe, but MrSC's granny made our wedding cake. Best way to keep it simple if you're doing tiers is to use an S-shaped cake stand so you don't have to stack. The only decoration she did was icing right over each tier and onto the cake board, crimping the edges and adding some ribbon. Then we asked our florist to add some flowers matching our wedding flowers. I thought it looked great!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics