Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2015

Has anyone made there own wedding cake?

Jelly_Tots, 30 August, 2012 at 11:32 Posted on Planning 0 10

Im thinking about buying my wedding cake from M&S and then decorating it myself as we can save quite a bit of money doing it this way, has anyone else thought about doing this or know anyone that has? The cake that i want has been quoted at £300 and i think this is way to much for what i want.
x

10 replies

Latest activity by Randomsabreur, 30 August, 2012 at 16:38
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Loads of people on Hitched have used M&S cakes - everyone says they're great.

My mam made mine.

• Sparkly Tyke
    Beginner March 2011
    Sparkly Tyke ·
    • Hide content

Me and my mum made cupcakes for my wedding. One of my BMs had M&S cake at her wedding which her florist added ribbon and flowers to, it looked amazing and tasted divine!

• J
    Beginner August 2015
    Jelly_Tots ·
    • Hide content

Ohh Kharv that looks yummy! I have 'liked' your page on facebook and will be ordering our toppers nearer the day, i love them! Smiley smile Also might be getting a christmas decoration Smiley smile x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great! Look forward to hearing from you. I noticed your like. Smiley smile

The cake was yummy - Chocolate, lemon and fruit tiers.

The only thing I have heard people mention about the 'build your own' M&S cakes as opposed to the pre-made M&S ones is that they're quite shallow. So to get some height you're better off using an s-shape stand or using pillars inbetween layers.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

I reckon you could completely do this with M&S cakes yourself. Its very classy and simple and looks 'easy' to copy.

You'd just need ribbon, a little embelishment for the bow and a length or beads for around the top and bottom layers. Hobbycraft would probably have everything you need..

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

Our friends had m&S cakes on a s-shape stand, they went to hobbycraft and got some ribbon to attach to them and then some icing sugar flowers to drape on them too. it looked amazing and even better the sponge cake was too die for x

• Mrs*S
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs*S ·
    • Hide content

Do you know anyone that wold be able to make you one as a favour, or at mates rates?

My stepmother in law made ours (a cupcake tower and giant cupcake covered in Haribo hearts - yum!) and I loved it - and she did it for free! Bargain ?

I don't think anyone minded that it was 'home-made' - in fact, a lot of people at our reception commented on how much they liked it, and mentioned how expensive normal wedding cakes are and how when people do have them for their wedding, they don't feel like they can eat it because they will ruin it. I was really happy to see people getting stuck into ours, it's what it was there for!

My husband's cousin has an M&S cake and nobody really knew that it wasn't a much more expensive cake.

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content

Kirstypoppy i'm doing it! I'm getting my cake from m & s. we got given lots of vouchers for our engagment presents and we don't shop in m & S so thought we would just buy the cake with it.

We are having the one with the white roses cascading down one side and i'm adding some other decoration myself aswell as getting edible glitter for the roses and edible diamonds to put in the middle of the rose sort of like my bouquet.

I'm not getting married until next year but I helped a friend do it with hers and it looked gorgeous. they aren't too tall so we are getting a cake stand to put ours on and i'm making my own cake topper to give it a bit extra height too.

• T
    Beginner February 2013
    Topper ·
    • Hide content

My sister made her own, with fruit and a sticky chocolate top tier (her H doen't like fruit cake). The ready roll icing is pretty easy to use (she had decorated several christmas cakes previously) and then simply used ribbon and a cake topper to finish. The cake stand was from ebay for about £15

Ultimately you only have a small bit of cake to eat and a couple of photos to show for it so I think its a very easy way to save some money

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We had an M&S cake!

The individual tiers are shallow (2" deep) but when stacked apart they looked ok!

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

I made my own - 3 tiers of Fruit Cake for display, then chocolate and vanilla cutting cakes as I didn't want to have to worry about presenting those as nicely as they had to be made sooner. Just did the Nigella Christmas X'mas Fruit Cake recipe, iced with ready to roll marzipan and icing and sewed ribbons into loops to put on the cakes. Will try and organise photos in a bit!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics