Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2016

Has anyone Married in the UK and had a blessing/symbolic ceremony abroad?

Loverbud23, 28 of May of 2015 at 13:03 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 2

Hi ladies, without going into too much detail, my H2B and I have our hearts set on getting married in Greece, but due to health conditions and other complications some members of our family would not be able to fly out with us, i wouldn't want to get married without these people so we have decided to have a low key registry office wedding here in the UK and fly off to Greece the day after for a blessing or 'symbolic ceremony' with just us and our children and have all our photos over there and the rest of the holiday as a honeymoon. Is it acceptable to have guests attend a wedding and not a reception?

2 replies

Latest activity by Twoweddingbride, 5 of June of 2015 at 22:32
  • Mrspanda18
    Beginner
    Mrspanda18 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like you will just be having a wedding ceremony and not a reception so I wouldn't see a problem with that

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

We are doing something similar and having a non legal (symbolic) commitment ceremony abroad with no one else there (we where already going on holiday)

it will be a while before we get offically married here (Keeps getting knocked back for health issues and money problems) but this way it feels like we are doing something and without the 60 guests and big venue hire/church fees it will cost nowhere near as much to do

are you worried about your family wondering why theres no reception?

maybe you could have a meal at a resteraunt you like with them or hire a room or booth in a local pub and have a little celebration after the ceremony

• T
    Beginner March 2015
    Twoweddingbride ·
    • Hide content

Nowadays there are no set rules for weddings. I have been to weddings were I contributed to my cost of the meal instead of a present to a cocktail only style wedding to registry and meal in a restaurant afterwards. The key thing to remember is that it is a celebration of love and that can be done in many ways. If you want to you could always just find a nice restaurant that has a private room for a meal with your close family or similar in a bar for drinks- or you could even just go back to your home. Whatever you decide you do just remember your wedding day is about you and your husband communicating and celebrating your love so just do what you feel comfortable doing!! good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics