Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

excitedbee
Beginner February 2011

Has anyone re-set their engagement ring in Palladium??

excitedbee, 16 November, 2010 at 10:38 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello all,

My engagement ring is in 18ct white gold and i'm finding it gets scratched and the yellow comes through very easily and i'm fed up of waiting 2 weeks every time it gets re-coated. When we looked at wedding bands i thought i would get palladium as it's cheaper and harder wearing, but the jewellers told me that because it is so much harder than white gold it will ruin my engagement ring over time.

Got me thinking if i could have a replica of my white gold ring made in palladium and re-set the original diamond. Has anyone done this??? Was it very expensive?? I'm thinking the cost would be slightly off-set by then having a palladium wedding band which would be cheaper than white gold.

Any advise gratefully recieved, thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by soon2bmrse, 16 November, 2010 at 20:50
  • laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Hi Excitedbee!

Ok, so first things first. Palladium and white gold CAN sit together. Your white gold ring might get slightly more 'worn' than if it was sat next to the same metal, but you're looking at decades before this would be noticeable. The main problem with having the 2 metals together is the colour difference. They will start off looking the same, but once you start getting to the stage where the white gold needs to be re-plated, you will be able to see a difference.

As for changing your ER to palladium, this should be easy enough. Yes, it will cost a bit more to have the actual work done, but not only will you save as palladium is cheaper than white gold, but think about the cost of re-plating. Smooch does offer to re-plate all of our white gold rings at any time free of charge, but I'm pretty sure we're the only place that does. Most other jewellers charge £25-£50 per time. If your ring needs re-plating every 2 years for example, it doesn't take long for the palladium option to become much, much cheaper.

HTH, let me know if you have any other questions...

Laura x

• excitedbee
    Beginner February 2011
    excitedbee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that Laura, my ER needed replating after only 6 months which is why i'm thinking of changing it. Like you say, the cost and inconvienience of sending it away for 2 weeks every 6 months just seems so annoying!

Sorry for the massive picture, this ring is similar setting to mine, altough mine is a princess cut stone. Any rough idea how much it would cost for this in palladium, (minus the diamond)??

Thanks

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, it's really difficult to say... Our cheapest palladium ring is £120, but this goes up depending on weight, width etc. Plus there would be a charge for removing your diamond, creating the setting, and re-setting it. Maybe around the £100 mark for that? There are so many variables I really couldn't say for definate, your best bet would be to make an appointment with us, and speak to a few other jewellers for quotes, so you can get the best deal.

If your ring needs re-plating that often, I'd definately consider it though, it may seem like more money now, but you'll be saving so much in the future.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Where in the UK are you?

If it's convinient then the Birmingham jewellry quarter may be able an option too, apparently the prices are very completitive.

• excitedbee
    Beginner February 2011
    excitedbee ·
    • Hide content

I'm in bristol so birmingham is definetly do-able. I've asked a few jewellers for quotes so will see what they come back with. Otherwise we make may a trip to the jewellery quarter. Thanks

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking of doing this myself, either with palladium or with platinum (if I can afford it).

I hardly ever have spare time so the thought of having to go to a jewellers to drop off my ring and then again to collect it, every 6-12 months really annoys me.

Let me know how you get on with quotes etc as I'd be really interested to know! xxx

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    soon2bmrse ·
    • Hide content

I had the same issue. We got my E ring from hatton garden in white gold before we realised it might need replating. We decided to get it changed into palladium. The original company wouldnt do it so we got a refund and went one street away and got exactly the same ring in palladium for £30 extra!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics