Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

daisymoo86
Beginner July 2016

Has anyone seen Catfish the TV show?

daisymoo86, 7 of July of 2014 at 16:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 24

I've never seen the film but recently started watching the TV series. Just wondered if anyone had any views about the sorts of things the show covers? Does it make you question your online interactions?

24 replies

Latest activity by LoveSka, 12 of July of 2014 at 10:25
  • smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

I watch it now and again. I think it's really interesting, especially how far people will go to manipulate others! It certainly makes me question who you interact with online!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I've seen the film and a couple bits of the tv show. I suppose it made me think that retrospectively I took a lot of gambles in the past meeting people from online - but I was very lucky in that nobody ever lied to me about their identity!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same. I mean I've been meeting people online for over ten years and no-one hasn't been who they said they were, which is pretty miraculous, but to be honest I think you can tell if someone is 'off' or something's not quite right. I mean some of these Catfishes won't speak on the phone or video chat, some of the more extreme ones on the show asked for money etc. That just screams RED FLAG to me.

I don't know how factual the show is, I mean it's MTV so some bits are probably made up for the camera but I always find it reasonably interesting and entertaining.

Nev is really attractive too ?

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

Love Catfish. Max and Nev mmmmmmm

When I was younger I used a lot of chat rooms and had a bit of a online relationship with a guy from Scotland, it never would have crossed my mind that it wouldn't have been him.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I watch every episode.

i have been chatting to, and meeting people offline for 12 years or so. I met my eldest sons Dad online (Faceparty, anyone?) when I was 17. I also met my H online, along with some of my closest friends.

I've never had a catfish experience though. It is always pretty obvious when people are spinning you a line.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I love catfish, I find it incredibly sad sometimes as invariably someone gets thier heartbroken along the way.

i remember when I met up with hitchers for the first time- my mum was convinced you would all be murderers.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

I like the program and find it rather interesting as me and my H2B lived hundreds of miles from each other and met though a online dating site, sure we used skype and called but neither of us knew 100% that the other was being truthful it was all based on trust.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I haven't watched the show but have met quite a few internet people over the years, including my now H (though there was no intention of us getting together before we met). Most have been completely normal people. There have been one or two very odd ones who obviously struggled with social interaction in real life far more than on the net, but even they weren't big "fakes."

I did encounter a few people online who in retrospect were probably fakes and/or massive creeps, but thankfully never actually met any of them IRL.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I'm not normally a fan of reality TV crud but Catfish intrigues me. The sheer blindness of people who can't see the lies that are obvious to everyone else.

I think what it really shows is how much 'hope' is an integral part of the human psyche, how we always think 'it won't happen to me' and I love the occasional episodes where everything works out ?

And yes, nev is rather yummy ?

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content

Loved the film, love the TV show, love Max...

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I'm in camp Max...I think he's lovely!

And I agree with the triumph of hope message this show gives out. Everyone is really hoping that it turns out to be real.

I do wonder why some people don't ask themselves why their "online partner" is always a) beautiful and b) evasive. And for years too. How can you speak online to someone for 7 years or so and not think their inability to use Skype or transport is a little odd?

PS All the hitchers I have met have been glorious (and honest) people!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I'm also team Max... Think he is rather dishy!

I am fascinated by the level of hope/denial though. Sometimes the clues are so obvious, but then we are outsiders to the situation and MTV are clever editors.

Ive met many hitchers, been to a few of their weddings and have made some of my closest friends through here. Mr C didn't get it at first but now understands Smiley smile

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love Catfish. I was also with my husband who I met online for 4 years before I found out he had been compulsively lying since we met. I wish it had been obvious.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

Camp Max for me too. It's the eyes. He also isn't as giddy as Nev, who reminds me of Zippy when he smiles. I swear his head splits in two.

I think the fascination for me comes from normal people who do not always appear naïve and gullible ignoring huge red flags that the person isn't who they claim to be. I also find it interesting how people say it doesn't matter about looks but where the person looks nothing like the photo they have put up generally they face rejection. Is it the deceit or is it that the other person has 'fallen in love' with someone that doesn't exist and in their mind they can't separate the looks from the feelings?

There are times when the person is heartbroken at the deceit yet you can see at the time they connected, they needed someone to be there for them. Yes that person doesn't look like they say they did but ultimately they were helped through some tough times by a stranger being there in a way that people around them weren't. I also feel quite sad for some of the deceivers. Sometimes they have such huge self esteem issues they feel the need to lie about how they look to get people to like them.

I don't watch them all as some can be a bit 'samey' but some just blow you away with the lengths people will go to to keep the lie going. I was also surprised how few were about money. Some were actually giving money the other way (ie from the catfish to the person they were lying to).

FASCINATING!

• bamboo
    Beginner September 2014
    bamboo ·
    • Hide content

Watched a few and noticed that there's always the same sort of pattern where the person keeps making excuses for why they can't meet up, won't video chat.

It's easy to use other peoples' photos so if I were to date anyone online I would need more than just photos.

Watched one where the girl's best friend made fake account to save her friend from her self-destructive behaviour. It lasted for few years and they were even engaged even though they never met or video called. Her bestfriend got her male cousin to pretend to be the boyfriend on the phone.

Weird.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Max and Nev are fit and I love watching catfish!

I do now think that you are all just professional Catfishers though... ?

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, I watched the documentary and it was soo interesting! I didn't know there was a telly show!

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am in fact Amal Alamuddin and engaged to George Clooney Smiley winking

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd never heard of this before but this is the first one I found to watch on Youtube. It's very odd!

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I watched an episode last night, a young girl had started talking to the rapper 'Bow Wow' online for four months. In that time he had sent her $10k! as a gift!!! They text and spoke on the phone but had never managed to Skype due to his hectic schedule.

Anyway, along come the catfish crew and surprise surprise Bow Wow isn't Bow Wow, instead its a female rapper who talks to straight girls in the hope of 'turning them'. She herself had borrowed money from her friends to pay out the $10k!

Its all so crazy! I love it!

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh no! It's on Youtube? There goes my productive day in the orifice!!

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

I'm addicted!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Excellent autocorrect there.

• WickyWack