Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner October 2011

Has anyone stacked there own M&s wedding cake??

fatbride, 30 January, 2011 at 10:47 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi all, im looking at buying a marks and spencers 3 tier sponge wedding cake and i was going to decorate it myself, but i wanted to know if any of you had stacked theres and if it was possible to do this? as oppossed to haing it tiered? I was thinking i would put the dowels in the bottom them remove the second tier from the board and replace it with a smaller thinner board then put it on top(glued with icing) to the first cake and repeat with the top tier. Dose this sound feasable or should i just use dowels and pillars?

All help and advice welcome.

16 replies

Latest activity by fatbride, 31 January, 2011 at 08:20
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I am having an M&S cake but on a cake stand. But there are videos on the M&S site showing how to stack them which may help you...

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

I haven't used an M&S cake, but I did make my friends wedding cake last year, and I just used dowels. As long as they're all the same size, and stand slightly proud of the cake, you'll be fine, no need to glue with icing.

Easier said than done, but try to be confident when stacking the cakes, you don't want to keep moving them around if you can help it.

There's loads of tutorials on youtube if you want to have a look. I went from making the odd batch of fairy cakes to doing my friends 4 tier stacked wedding cake with the help of youtube, so worth a look IMO!

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for the replys, i did not know that m and s doen online tutorials so will need to check that out!

Thanks for the info on the hight of the cakes, guess i should of thought of that before i had my bright idea! Will have a better think about it. Wedding cakes are so expensive, i cant really justify hundreds of pounds on a cake.

My idea for after i stacked it was to decorate it with home made sugar paste butterflys dusted in gold luster dust (butterflys cut with a cutter).

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Ok just re looked on the website and i dont think i will stack it as its going to look tiny! So i think i will either use pillars or perspex squares or something simillar. I even checked the measurments of the stacked cream cake with the cascading roses and its only 26cm tall! Is it just me or dose that seem small?

Any hoo, where are you all getting your cakes from? and are they an arm and a leg?

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Im in Northumberland, sorry didnt see you were a cake designer!

Was actually thinking of taking a bash at my own cake? but would need to practice first.

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Is it the cake or the decorating that you are more worried about? I'm guessing that if you're planning on making sugar paste butterflies, you have some experience of cake decorating? I used a company called Sweet Success for cakes before, they sell the cake, but not decorated, so you would need to put your own icing on.

This is the cake I made for my friend last year, bottom tier was fruit, the other 3 sponge, and I made the flowers out of sugarpaste.

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Oh Laura thats lovely, thats the kind of thing i would like, but i was going to do the butterflies cascading down the cake, maybe with flowers inbetween?

I dont have "experience" in proper cake making but i did make my kids and nephews birthday cakes which were all covered in fondant and decorated. How do you put pics up? as im sure i have my daughters cake on the comp.

Also is your cake on stacked and iced cake boards?

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ? I'd never done anything like this before either, but I think if you've iced with fondant before, and are confident to do it again, you'll be fine. You could always buy a cake dummy to practice on...

Yep, I used 3 drum boards, iced and stacked. I ended up taking the ribbon off and re-doing it after this pic as it was a bit of a mess.

To put a picture on, open a 'reply' then click on the icon that looks like film (if you hover over it, it says 'insert media') and just upload from your drive.

Have you done the butterflies before? There's some great tutorials on youtube for them. I love working with flower paste I must admit, I think I'm going to do a course soon, at the moment I can only make flowers and shoes!!

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Tis a bit scruffy and im hoping to do a better job of the real thing!

this is my nephews cake.

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, they are very amature but i might do a trial cake for my niece's birthday next month.

Those butterflies are like the ones i have been looking at online and i wa just going to leave them plain gold, but might do a mix of oranges, yellows,red etc as its an october wedding and i like all the autumnal colours.

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

I think you'll be fine, practise makes perfect! And don't forget, ribbon hides a multitude of sins! One of those tiers was a bit of a mess (the kitchen was too warm so the fondant started to split as I was putting it on the cake) but the ribbon hid the messy bits, thank goodness!

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Jules, is that one of your cakes? It's lovely! How did you get the ribbon on the board to sit so perfectly?? I was losing the will to live trying to get mine to look better!

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Ok unless i find a nice cheaper option im going to go with the m and s 3 tier sponge and decorate it myself with sugar butterflies in gold and autumn colours.

I costed the price to make my stacked 3 tier and it was going to be about 50 quid or more and that would be double as i would want to make a trial cake before hand and it would not be very cost effective.

Thanks for all your help and i will post pics when i finally do it in october.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics