Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner June 2014

Has anyone tried to DYE their BHS Wrap Dresses?

punchbowl, 12 of July of 2013 at 11:23 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi guys...I hope someone can help.

I need 2 x twist and wrap dresses in a graphite/charcoal colour. The Dessy ones are just too expensive. The BHS ones are lovely but don't have the right colour....has anyone ever tried to dye them?

9 replies

Latest activity by punchbowl, 12 of July of 2013 at 13:27
  • DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

I haven't tried but what is the fabric composition of them?

• P
    Beginner June 2014
    punchbowl ·
    • Hide content

Its listed on their site as:

• 95% Polyester 5% Elastane

(i know NOTHING about materials haha)

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

I only asked because polyester is tougher to dye than nylon and cotton. It requires a much higher temperature to set the dye. (i work in fashion so i deal with this sort of stuff daily!)

This is why if you tried to dye a cotton dress using a machine/hand dye, the dress would dye but the stitching thread wouldn't as this is more often than not polyester.

It doesn't mean it isn't possible though. All fabrics will take the same colour dye differently but as they are all one fabric I'm guessing (or maybe two if they are lined but you wouldn't see this) you are at an advantage.

Can you afford to try one and see what happens?

• P
    Beginner June 2014
    punchbowl ·
    • Hide content

Thank you SO much for your help on this!!

So, yes im thinking to buy a dress as i have a discount code and then try to dye it. Does the original colour of the dress make a difference to the outcome if I dye it?

The BHS dresses currently come in Fuschia, Purple, Merlot, Ocean and Sapphire. If my end aim is to get a Charcoal/Slate Grey colour which colour dress should I start off with? Also do you think that the washing machine dye's or the 'on the stove' dyes are the most powerful?

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

If i'm 100% honest with you i don't think you will get the result you want. As i said polyester is a right pain and i don't think home dyes will do it for you.

I've had a quick google for if you did it professionally and this is the first one that popped up. Note though they won't dye polyester.

http://dyeproservices.com/bridal.html

If you were going to give it a go I would say go with a blue shade to overdye, but they are such strong colours i don't think you will have any control over the end product.

Sorry to be so negative - just trying to give you a bit of advice.

Have you thought about having a dressmaker replicate the style? it's not as expensive as it sounds from what i have read on here.

How much over budget are the Dessy ones? Can you hunt the net for a discount code?

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Have you considered buying your bridesmaid dresses from Etsy?

I don't have any personal experience of the quality but I know there is a good selection on there of twist and wrap dresses, in all colours and reasonably priced.

• V
    Beginner September 2013
  • Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought of getting the black wrap dresses and adding charcoal accessories? I think dying them might be a headache since they're all very bright and dark colours

• P
    Beginner June 2014
    punchbowl ·
    • Hide content

Thank you guys SOOO much!

I think after all of your advice I am going to explore the Etsy route. 2 x dresses from Dessy were coming in at £280 and thats just way too much!!

Ill keep you posted with my Etsy story :-)

Thank you again! Where would i be without Hitched haha?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics