Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner April 2014

Has/Is anyone getting married in a Registry Office?

Jader123, 28 of January of 2013 at 21:16 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone has got married/is planning to get married in a Registry Office? What are your experiences like?

Thank you

16 replies

Latest activity by SunnyGoldHair632, 4 of October of 2016 at 02:31
  • B
    Beginner October 2014
    Beefzoid ·
    • Hide content

Snap we are planning to marry in registry office (Langtons house) any experinces would be great

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    Jader123 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! That is a really gorgeous Registry Office! Ours looks horrible from outside but the actual room is really nice, high ceilings etc and my partner's parents got married there so it's special to us in that way too Smiley smile

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Langtons is very pretty as far as as registry offices go, although staff there once told us they often do 13 weddings there on a Saturday in summer ?

Surely that can't be true!?

In response to the OP, we're doing the "legal" bit at a registry office a couple of days before the wedding, as we wanted to marry at an unlicenced venue. We're not sure which office we'll be going to yet, probably just the closest one.

• B
    Beginner October 2014
    Beefzoid ·
    • Hide content

I went to the wedding fayre there in oct and they said 4 weddings?? we are looking at a monday, although they do, do an exclusive hire on a sunday which i would happily consider as well

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't think 13 could be possible, i'm not sure how they'd even fit that in time wise!
    I think with a Monday you'd be fine anyway Smiley smile

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

13 is surely only 6.5 hours, if it's a popular venue, on a Saturday, that could be 10am to 4.30pm so it's doable...

We're having our legals at what has been named 'The Pre-Wedding' the week before, but doing the ceremony and fun bit all together on a Saturday. There will only be 5 of us at the pre-wedding, so it's a very different experience to what I imagine you're looking for.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at Portsmouth Registry Office...

I've seen many friends / family married there, so it's got a special significance, plus it's quite an imposing old building with a big garden area at the back. The ceremony room is lovely too. Some registry offices can be like office blocks though; so it's best to check them in advance!

I always wanted to plump for a registry office ceremony- nice and short so we can get on with the party! No mucking about with own vows / readings / anything like that (although I think you can if you want to).

• Lindsay31513
    Beginner May 2013
    Lindsay31513 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married at Newcastle civic centre (the haymarket suite) it's a lovely room but the outside of Newcastle civic is ugly and right in the centre of town. Luckily I've bagged blackfriars restaurant for my reception which is a medieval friary and we've got the banqueting hall where a king has eaten! So plenty photo opportunity there! Only going to be at the civic centre for half an hour at most so it doesn't really bother me xx

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    Jader123 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all the comments. Ours is the same really, it looks ugly on outside and all the way up the stairs etc but once in the room, I was very very surprised at how nice the room is and we will only be in there half hour tops! Our wedding venue is right next door which makes sense to us and love love love our venue so much, that the photo opportunity is there Smiley smile

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Yep . Photos in my report . Gorgeous room and felt very wedding like if you know what I mean .

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

We originally booked in and gave notice at Birmingham RO. We didn't realise until we gave notice that the ceremony would be 15 minutes, the bride and groom had to have a quick interview together beforehand and pay in the same room, you'd share the courtyard with whoever else they had in, you couldnt personalise the ceremony with music or readings. However it was just £50.

We are getting married at West Brom RO now, but in their more expensive room where you have an hour, exclusive use, you have separate pre-interviews, it is actually a lovely building and interior, you can choose readings and songs and it is sooooo much nicer Smiley smile

I'd just make sure you check before you give notice what the allowances are, and if it costs £50 then you are gonna get £50 worth of ceremony!

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    Jader123 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the advice Smiley smile we have actually just booked it! She said on phone she will send us a 'Marriage pack' with our choices etc in so I'm rather excited Smiley smile hope we have made the right choice x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're doing the same, not sure which one or when, it could be as early as next Easter but the blessing in church won't be until August. This part isn't too important to us so we're not too bothered about what it looks like so long as we have 2 witnesses (and I have a pretty dress) and we get the important bit of paper. My first wedding was in a registry office and it wasn't particularly memorable but things might have changed?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We got married in Wandsworth register office. What would you like to know? You can see photos here: https://andrewbillington.zenfolio.com/nickandayesha the register office bit starts at around page 4 and ends on page 11.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

My Dad married I an RO in Cardiff in 2007 and it was wonderful :0) shortish but very sweet and personal. It was on quite a busy road and not exactly photogenic on the outside but they had done a nice job inside and gave a lively ceremony. It was absolutely perfect for them..... Their choice of music and readings too. Our local RO in Doncaster really isn't the grandest of venues but the rooms are adequate and it's great for photo opportunities. I certainly don't see a problem with them as venues, but like anything else, there will be some better than others. I'm sure you'll have a fab time no matter what :0) xx

• S
    Beginner February 2017
    SunnyGoldHair632 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

I know this is an old post now but I was wondering if anyone has got married at any Welsh registry offices? I am trying to find a nice one in a rural location to incorporate the wedding into a holiday away with our children.

Thank you! xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics