Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

UnionJackDream
Beginner March 2016

Hate my wedding ring :-(

UnionJackDream, 13 May, 2012 at 14:27 Posted on Planning 0 19

Grrrr we bought our wedding rings the other day and it turned out to be the most stressful thing to buy!

My OH found his easily and I must admit it is beautiful

My engagement ring is white gold and quite dainty but I knew I would need a wishbone wedding ring which was no problem:

We went back to the same shop, H Samuels, as I ASSUMED they would stock a wedding ring that would fit... WRONG ahhh I am so angry after trying on 8 wishbone rings none of them fit with the engagement ring. I was starting to get upset knowing I would have to have 2 rings that don't sit together. I tried on plain wedding bands and the point at the bottom of the engagement ring just made the gap inbetween to big. I lost it, slightly, with the lady in the shop asking how they can sell an engagement ring without the wedding ring to fit, she stared at me blankly!
Their offer was to have a wedding ring designed, bear in mind we only had a budget of about 250 this ring came in at 750!!! I was distraught thinking I wouldn't have a wedding ring and did not know what to do. The "manager" then suggested that I buy a band and send it off to be cut this would only be 30 on top of the ring. So I found a silver wedding band at 59.99 and with the 30 on top brilliant.

I went in on Saturday to send the rings off to be cut AND the stupid woman in the shop said oh no it won't be 30 will be much more and I said well that lady over there (I like to name and shame) said it would 30 and her response was... no I said an estimate never mentioned 30. HOW ON EARTH WOULD I MAKE UP 30 plus my OH heard her say 30.
So it has been sent off and they will phone with the price. I am heart broken to have a ring that I wont like and will be stuck with for life :'(

Sorry I just needed to moan!

19 replies

Latest activity by Puddycat, 13 May, 2012 at 18:55
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See my post on OT- you won't be stuck with it for life!

If its too much don't pay for it- also is your ER silver or white gold?

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

I have your exact same ring! You have very good taste!

However, it is stupidly difficult to find a ring to go with it.

I think i'm going to have one made, i've found a place that do it starting from £245 which is pretty much all our budget too. I dont know where you are, they have a shop in Rayleigh Essex but they have a website too; albarose.com. I've heard good things about them so fingers crossed!

• *Cloud9*
    Beginner August 2013
    *Cloud9* ·
    • Hide content

Can you have white gold and silver together ?? Might be worth checking that. I know you can't put 9ct and 18ct gold together.

• UnionJackDream
    Beginner March 2016
    UnionJackDream ·
    • Hide content

Engagement ring is white gold but I am so cross as it has faded already :'(
    Oh god I didn't even think about that I just assumed they wouldn't let me buy it if they wouldn't work together Smiley atonished I doubt they care the way they have dealt with me.

I think I will go to other shops and have a look see what they have just upsetting something I thought would be so simple was so difficult!

• UnionJackDream
    Beginner March 2016
    UnionJackDream ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

NO WAY!!! It is a beautiful ring just can't believe how much trouble I have had with it. Ooo I am down South, Wiltshire, so I will have a look on their website. Thank you so much for the advise. Good luck with it xx

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

Can't you shop around? Did you only go in one shop?

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is gorgeous! Oh, a bit far then! You might have places near you there that are more reasonable than H Samuels? We picked up his leaflet at a wedding fayre & then a friend mentioned they had their ring made by him! Thats ok, good luck too! x

Edit; Also my fiance chose this ring with no imput from me, then i asked him last month if he'd asked if they have a WR that goes with it but he didn't check. So i did & was surprised they don't have a matching WR! Especially as it is a bit of an akward shape.

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Might be being thick here, but why not? My ER and WR are both the same ct so it doesn't really matter to me anyway.... but things like this are always good to know!

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

We haven't got our wedding rings yet (only 4 months to go so sounds like I need to get cracking) but I know I'm going to have same problem as mine's wishbone style too. it's been on my mind as we're also on a budget. I decided to get a vintage engagement ring from an antiques centre without thinking ahead about the need to get a WR that fits with ER.

Hope you get on okay. Keep us updated as it sounds like this may be an issue for a few of us.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I only found this out recently as well, apparently if one metal is "stronger" than the other it will scratch away at the weaker one.

Good luck Mrs Shep2B, I have a similar style ring from H Samuel as well so I'm probably gonna have the same problem, I hadn't even thought about it and I'm sure my OH wouldn't have thought to ask if there was a matching WR. Might be worth shopping around to see if any other stores have something suitable, and check whether silver can be worn with white gold first.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Silver is much stronger than gold, so will wear away at the white gold, the same reason why you shouldn't have 9ct and 18ct, as one will wear the other down. Also, the white gold ring will look faded, it goes yellow coloured as white gold is rhodium plated, and this needs to be done every year or so to keep it looking great.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Smooch? They are on-line but come to your house with samples and will make a ring to fit you ER - I will need one made and they are coming out to us in early June.

They say you can have any style made in any metal & add diamonds & engraving and their prices are very reasonable.

As someone said you do need to match the type & purity of the metals. 9ct will rub away at 18ct & white gold is quite soft so silver will I reckon rub away at the white gold.

Or an independent jewellers? May find the service & price better than a chain like H Samuels

• *Cloud9*
    Beginner August 2013
    *Cloud9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS regarding one wearing the other down. My ER is white gold and I don't know it had to be replated every year or so. That's a tad annoying !! Is that expensive ??

• llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

Get yourself to an independent shop.

my ring in a similar shape, and she made me a palladium band that fits perfectly for £300.

• llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

Get yourself to an independent shop.

my ring in a similar shape, and she made me a palladium band that fits perfectly for £300.

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8912904/9ct+white+gold+diamond+shaped+band/

My ER is a small cluster and I thought i would have a terrible job getting a wedding ring to fit t it due to the circular shape. we have gone for this one which is actually from H Samuel although my ER was from a small independent jewellers whch we got whilst on holiday, and it fits perfectly. perhaps i wasjust lucky x

BTW i have been told that the dipping for replating will cost £30 Also at H Samuel and will take about a week.

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My OH has chosen this exact same ring, It is gorgeous

• LeedsBride
    Beginner September 2012
    LeedsBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine too! but ours was from Ernest Jones ?

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

Hey Leedsgurl. Areyou from Leeds in West Yorkshire or Leeds in Kent?

Just curiou cos i am from leeds, West Yorkshire

• Puddycat
    Beginner December 2012
    Puddycat ·
    • Hide content

MrsShep2be, we are not a million miles from you ( 20 miles away just over the border in Dorset). We have ordered our WR's from The Perfect Ring Co. They will come to your house and you can spread the payments interest free! You get to design your own rings and can have whatever you want. The guy we saw was Dan and I promise you there was no hard sell. Message me for more info, but they are on facebook etc. I do recommend them and you will get what you want in the RIGHT metal as it is true that you shouldn't put two different strength metals next to each other as the harder will damage the softer.

Tell H Samuel's where to get off. If they don't want to play by your rules tell them that Trading Standards will be very interested to know that they are giving incorrect information. Also for your information a quote is a legal price / quote the price unless otherwise stated and can not be legally changed without good reason basically. They are legally obliged to honour the quote!!

You will be fine ?

Good Luck x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics