Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner September 2023 Cheshire

Hated hair and make up trial

Jo, 11 of July of 2023 at 22:32 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Please help! I had my hair and make up trial the other day and I hated how it looked. I said I wanted to try Hollywood waves or half up half down with a French plait. She tried to do the plait and then said no it doesn’t look right without showing me. She then curled it all and did my make up. She didn’t ask how I wanted the make up, she just went ahead and put it on. I didn’t get to see any of it until she was done and I was shocked at how different I looked. I wanted to cry because it made me look ten years older.

I messaged her and said I didn’t like it and asked could we do something different. She said I could have another trial but it cost me £140 for the first one, I can’t afford have another and it might not even be right the second time!
Do I cancel her altogether and lose my £108 deposit? My wedding is in 2 months so don’t know if I could find another make up artist/hairdresser. I’m so worried about it, it’s making me feel physically sick!

8 replies

Latest activity by Jo, 21 of September of 2023 at 22:53
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you go for a second trial, I would be very clear about what you want in advance, and insist that you see what she has done whether or not she thinks it looks right.

To be honest though, I'm a bit concerned about a professional who doesn't ask you what look you are going for and decides on your behalf whether or not your chosen hairstyle will work without giving you a chance to see it. You might be better off looking elsewhere.

• J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply. Tbh I’m also concerned that she won’t do what I want in the second trial and then I’ll be another £140 down. I’m thinking I should try and find someone else as I’m not confident in her ability to get it right.
  • Danielle
    Curious July 2023 Middlesex
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would definitely say look around and see who else is available and see if you can get a feel for them… my MUA took me through each stage of make up for our trial and even did different sides with diff tones so I could see how they changed the look before finishing the look off… your make up artist should be working with you to ensure you get the look you want… not doing whatever look they want!
  • Valyria
    Savvy October 2026 West Sussex
    Valyria ·
    • Hide content

I think if it were me personally I would jump ship and start looking elsewhere, because once your confidence in someone is gone it's only going to make you feel uneasy.

Did you communicate to her at the first trial that you were not happy with the look? because if you did I don't think it's right to charge another 140 for another trial as she didn't do a good job.

I'd stay well clear of MUAs who don't take your wants and opinions into account and decide for you how they think you should look. you are paying for her services so she needs to follow your brief when executing your ideal wedding look.

• Nicole
    Curious September 2025 Berkshire
    Nicole ·
    • Hide content
    I would try and find someone else. Also make a complaint because the trial is for you to play around with ideas and for you to say what you want and they do it and make tweaks for the day. Not for them to just slap it on once they’ve done. I would put it on Facebook and see if your friends know anyone that does hair and make up. Sorry you had a bad experience.
  • J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply. Really appreciated everyone’s advice. You were all right, I couldn’t stick with the same make up artist as I’d lost confidence in her ability. When I told her I’d like to cancel, she offered to do another trial half price but there was no way I was paying even more money to her. I ended up choosing a separate make up artist and hairdresser and I loved the look they did for me and my bridesmaids.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so pleased you got it sorted out!

• J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww thank you! x I’m so glad I asked peoples advice because it gave me the push I needed to cancel the booking. In the end I wasn’t bothered about the money I’d lost as I was just so relieved to find stylists that listened to what I wanted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics