Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs S Smith
Beginner August 2007

Have £600 to spend on what I want.. WWYD?

Mrs S Smith, 25 June, 2009 at 14:37 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

Hi all,

as above, really...

The options I've got in mind are:

1. Try and kit out our house as much as we can for that money, such as bathroom cabinets, the double bed we've been wanting for the guest bedroom, a dishwasher and basically get the house in shape
2. Buy a pretty new laptop, as our current one is pretty much dead, and takes about an hour to start up.. It was a refurb jobbie from my brother's work when I got it as it is...
3. Spend some money on clothes (which I could do with, to be fair) and the rest put away in savings?

WWYD? Part of me just wants to go for the new laptop as I'm not sure when again we'd have another opportunity like this to get a new one, whereas the house stuff we can get on an as-and-when basis. But at the moment we don't actually have much in terms of Interiors in the house..

I'm so torn!

18 replies

Latest activity by Hello Sunshine, 25 June, 2009 at 20:17
  • M
    Beginner November 2004
    Minx Sauce ·
    • Hide content

Or d) save it until there's something you actually want/need, as opposed to trying to spend it as fast as possible regardless?

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very true!!

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content

What about combining 1 and 2 - you can get a decent laptop for around £300 then spend the rest on the house?

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

At the moment, because I'm in that frame of mind, I'd probably spend it on a Mulberry bag, but that's not much help to you ?

I'd do what VS says and do a combo of the above I think with the options you've set out.

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very true as well...

• Daffy B
    Daffy B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I'd do this. I'd prioritise the laptop and get everything that you want on it, then any money left over can go on the housey stuff.

• jaz
    Beginner
    jaz ·
    • Hide content

I'd get a laptop and dish washer and use the change if there is any to treat yourself to some clothes in the sales!

• lyni
    Beginner October 2008
    lyni ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

EWSS. We could do with both of these, and at the moment I'd probably save the rest to put towards holiday.

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, it makes a lot of sense ?

I'm going to do some dishwasher google-shopping for now!

xxx

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Oh really? That's cool! I'll keep an eye out for that then ?

I was thinking along the same lines as well actually, like get a hotel night's stay somewhere nice and plush at some place or other for H and I, and then spend some on a laptop and some on the house...

xxx

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

For me a dishwasher would come much further down the list than a bed or laptop (or clothes/holidays/nights out for that matter), If the laptop is just for surfing the net and a little bit of work stuff (Word etc.) I would go for a netbook for a couple of hundred quid, I've got an acer aspire and it does the job nicely.

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good point..

I guess with us, we keep saying "We need a dishwasher!!" partly because we're so lazy when it comes to washing up. The bed would be for the guest room, so although we would benefit from having it, it wouldn't be as often as if we had a dish washer, IYSWIM?

I need to do some thinking.. Head hurts already!! xxx

• H
    Hickory ·
    • Hide content

Get a dishwasher! I agree that if you only use your laptop for the net, then a cheapy will be fine. I use mine for internet only (MrH has a fancy one) and it has an external hard-drive with all photos, music etc. That's all it needs to be able to do. Then spend anything left over on clothes or make up!

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

I'd get a dishwasher, no question. I couldn't live without mine (well, I could, but it would be a poor sort of life).

You could probably get a cheap dishwasher and laptop for £600.

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Oooh sorry about that - went out to PC World to look at laptops and see how much they would be for the ones that I liked the look/feel of...

I guess I've come to realise that the lappy I need is a little more high-spec than what cheap and cheerful ones can offer, so I'm going to have to have a think. I'll more than likely save the money and get a decent laptop once I can afford it, OR go for house stuff option..

Thanks everyone ?

xxx

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YOu could do that and have change - House of Fraser has 50% off Mulberry atm. I had to walk away... fast.

MrsSmith, I'd probably put the money away for a bit and ponder on it. I know that burning-a-hole-in-pocket feeling all too well, though! I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll have fun spending it.

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Flissy666 - it's just so hard!! I've realised that the problem I've got is that I'm so used to NOT having any money to spend on myself, that all of a sudden when I DO, there's SO MUCH I want! ?

But what I've had to do is to look at what is a Necessity and what is a Luxury, and I guess right now a new laptop is a Luxury... Ach well, a girl can dream... lol!

xxx

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Oh dear. Do you think it's too soon to have my 30th birthday present? It's only 6 months away ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics